This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension leads and gas question

Is it ok to use extension leads in the romahome? we have a limited number of electrical sockets and not sure how we would go about having extra put in. We don't want to try ourselves as we are worried about damaging the inside and wouldn't have the faintest idea where the wiring would go between the casing! So we thought the easy way would be to use an extension!!

What is winter gas? the difference between the blue and the red bottles?

jess
    Jessie

Hi Jess

I don't think there would be a problem using an extension lead, we have done in the past the only thing you have to be aware of is trailing wires.

We had an extra socket put in our Dimension by Ant at Avon Motor Caravans, he made a very nice job of it too. I'm not very good at DIY so didn't fancy doing it myself.

I'm no expert but I think the red bottled gas is better for winter because it works better in the lower temperatures the blue gas can be a bit slow when the temperature drops to a certain level, I'm sure other more knowlegeable people will be on to give you a more technical answer.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Gas.. blue/red

Hi Jess, As Graham pointed out, propane wont freeze in our normal winter, were as butane (blue) will like most, unless i aquire a bottle for free,(lol) i only use, the Red which is propane....tho, as you will probably no requires a different regulator,....
      Rob,:thumbsup:

Comment

Hi Jess,

I always used an extension lead in my little Roma, I think most people do in the really small ones. The plug is never where you want it to be!

I had one twin socket and from one of the outlets I had an extention running up the side of the cooker, along the back of the seat, to the shelf above the side window and along the shelf, which I used to plug in my TV. The other socket was used for an electric travel kettle or the little oil filled radiator - which sat quite happily at night out of the way on the cooker top.

I think electric fridges don't take much either, so other things can be plugged in at the same time - don't quote me on that one though as my fridge was a two way and I always used gas as there was no other option.

The only thing you need to be aware of when having an extension is not to plug too many items in at once. For example, if I was using the kettle, I would unplug the radiator for a mo while the kettle boiled. The general rule of thumb I read somewhere is never to plug two heat sources in at a time. The kettle + tv was ok, tv+radiator was ok, but I never chanced the kettle and radiator together. Just to be on the safe side.

My little Kip caravan has one electric point at the top of the wardrobe, so handy for nowt - when I get the socket changed, there will be an extention going around to the kitchen on the other side for the kettle/radiator/mini-oven.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, they are much appreciated.

So the blue gas has a possibility of freezing? Mmmmm interesting. So, if we have the red gas (so to speak) I assume this is one you could use all year round!! But, have to get the regulator changed? obviously by someone who knows what they are doing

I understand what you are saying about watching out for loose leads, I am a bit of one when it comes to 'mind this , mind that'
          Jessie

Comment

Originally posted by jessiem View Post
            Thank you all for your replies, they are much appreciated.

So the blue gas has a possibility of freezing? Mmmmm interesting. So, if we have the red gas (so to speak) I assume this is one you could use all year round!! But, have to get the regulator changed? obviously by someone who knows what they are doing

I understand what you are saying about watching out for loose leads, I am a bit of one when it comes to 'mind this , mind that'
            Depends on how low a temp you wish to go camping in, and where your gas bottle is sited. If it's inside the 'van, there's less chance of it freezing anyway - those that stand outside in the winter will freeze, even the red gas (propane) if it's -8 or below, if my memory serves me right.

Yes, you need a different regulator for propane and butane, they are very easy to change over though.

Comment

jay jay, I don't think you will see us camping in low temperatures
              Jessie

Comment

Originally posted by jessiem View Post
                jay jay, I don't think you will see us camping in low temperatures
                LOL! You'll be ok with blue then! The propane (red) is supposed to burn more cleanly but I have my reservations about that one. I used the diddy camping gaz cylinders in my romahome, and boy am I looking forward to using the regular size bottles of propane/butane - loads cheaper for a start!

jayjay

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X