Clear All

• alive23512
    replied
    Now that seems to have worked OK

Leave a comment:

• alive23512
    replied
    Hello gunerdoo.

I have, a few minutes ago, typed a longish reply to you. As I posted the collection of words something crashed. Either the forum or much more likely my AOL which has been acting up a lot lately. Here is a short version.

Both panels from CPC at Preston. So is my generator and a huge amount of other stuff.
    Panels cost GBP 70 to 80.
    CPC URL www.cpc.co.uk or http://cpc.farnell.com/

I will try to post this now.
    Regards,
    Tony.

Leave a comment:

• wheelmon
    replied
    I have a 30watt panel fitted permanently to the roof of the Duo with a regulator installed to prevent over-charging. The van's parked outside so the leisure battery's on charge whenever there's daylight.

I've had the panel for years - it's been used thro' 2 caravans & 2 trailer-tents! I can't imagine they ever wear out?? (the solar panels I mean).

It seems to work ok - the leisure battery is always fully charged (the little window shows green). I've just bought (from Amazon of course) a new multimeter suitable for testing precise battery voltage so I'll be able to monitor things a bit more accurately now - (planning on getting a bigger battery soon - been reading Ant's advice about 110Ah max.).

Keith

Leave a comment:

• Shubberdog
    replied
    If you’re in the market for a solar panel I think ebay is worth a look, they seem to be relatively inexpensive.

Leave a comment:

• gunerdoo
    replied
    Originally posted by alive23512 View Post
    At last I can provide some positive input rather than asking boring questions.

I have been using solar panels (one to start with) for several years now. The need came about urgently when I moved house, only from next door, to where I am now. My parking area is now across the road from the house with no electricity supply so I was obliged to find a battery charge capability for my two vehicles. I bought a 300watt generator at the same time too but have never had to use it for battery charging. After this cold snap, though, I am expecting I will.

The opinions I will now be expressing are from my own practical experience.
    The two panels I use (and they are both in use on the vehicles at this very moment) -- yes, very funny. I know it is dark, are both much the same 12/15 watt heavy large monsters but this is the minimum anyone should buy. I will tell you why. The makers/suppliers spout out total rubbish (a polite way of me saying lies) about their true charge rates in subdued light.

When new, on a very bright summers day with the sun high up in the sky, the panels could provide, very nearly, the claimed 1.2 amps charge rate. However, as the sun drops so does the charge rate and it can be quite quick.
    For example, 350 to 400mA at 4pm. The makers always seem to claim full output even on dull days. Total rubbish and more lies. Now we are back to the 350 to 400mA in summer. Now things get a bit more complicated.

My solar panels can easily be wired to any particular vehicle for several days or more at a time and this is where their true potential is. They are great. Sitting on the front dash or the rear shelf, whatever is available and where the panel is catching the most sun (or light on dull days) I could not do without them. Even one panel shared between two vehicles would be very, very useful. I always take a panel when I go camping because I am a wild camper (in more ways than one) and a solar panel is an essential part of my kit. I very rarely go on a campsite and because I may stay put for a week or more I need guaranteed 12 volts for my amateur radio gear (G8JAI is the callsign) and radio scanners (look for the aerials). In early and late summer the telly also, not to mention the lighting as well. I just could not do without a half decent solar panel. Camping would be pointless for me without a panel. They can be wired together for more power but I have never found the need for this.

The other thing a solar panel buyer should be aware of is that the power output drops away with age. Because of this natural effect I will probably have to replace my oldest panel next year. It beats me how these people with them on their roof get on. They can die when on satellites too. I think there must be some super duper panels out there not avalable to mere mortals like us. Cost perhaps and/or very hush hush. Ageing is another thing the makers lie about. They spout out guarantees. Will they honour it - nope. So there we have it. It all depends on what you want, or expect, the panel to do for you and how you intend (and how often) to use it. Any questions on a postcard please!
    Regards,
    Tony
    Hi Tony Thank you for that and hope you have many more days Wild Camping Where do you shop for your panels ?

Leave a comment:

• alive23512
    replied
    At last I can provide some positive input rather than asking boring questions.

I have been using solar panels (one to start with) for several years now. The need came about urgently when I moved house, only from next door, to where I am now. My parking area is now across the road from the house with no electricity supply so I was obliged to find a battery charge capability for my two vehicles. I bought a 300watt generator at the same time too but have never had to use it for battery charging. After this cold snap, though, I am expecting I will.

The opinions I will now be expressing are from my own practical experience.
    The two panels I use (and they are both in use on the vehicles at this very moment) -- yes, very funny. I know it is dark, are both much the same 12/15 watt heavy large monsters but this is the minimum anyone should buy. I will tell you why. The makers/suppliers spout out total rubbish (a polite way of me saying lies) about their true charge rates in subdued light.

When new, on a very bright summers day with the sun high up in the sky, the panels could provide, very nearly, the claimed 1.2 amps charge rate. However, as the sun drops so does the charge rate and it can be quite quick.
    For example, 350 to 400mA at 4pm. The makers always seem to claim full output even on dull days. Total rubbish and more lies. Now we are back to the 350 to 400mA in summer. Now things get a bit more complicated.

My solar panels can easily be wired to any particular vehicle for several days or more at a time and this is where their true potential is. They are great. Sitting on the front dash or the rear shelf, whatever is available and where the panel is catching the most sun (or light on dull days) I could not do without them. Even one panel shared between two vehicles would be very, very useful. I always take a panel when I go camping because I am a wild camper (in more ways than one) and a solar panel is an essential part of my kit. I very rarely go on a campsite and because I may stay put for a week or more I need guaranteed 12 volts for my amateur radio gear (G8JAI is the callsign) and radio scanners (look for the aerials). In early and late summer the telly also, not to mention the lighting as well. I just could not do without a half decent solar panel. Camping would be pointless for me without a panel. They can be wired together for more power but I have never found the need for this.

The other thing a solar panel buyer should be aware of is that the power output drops away with age. Because of this natural effect I will probably have to replace my oldest panel next year. It beats me how these people with them on their roof get on. They can die when on satellites too. I think there must be some super duper panels out there not avalable to mere mortals like us. Cost perhaps and/or very hush hush. Ageing is another thing the makers lie about. They spout out guarantees. Will they honour it - nope. So there we have it. It all depends on what you want, or expect, the panel to do for you and how you intend (and how often) to use it. Any questions on a postcard please!
    Regards,
    Tony

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    I've had one very similar to this one for a while.

It's about four times the size, four times the output and four times the price.

It seems to be working OK for me but I think that a lot depends on the condition of your battery, starter system and so on, in general. Also, how much light you can get onto it.

If your 'van is parked up for a long while, it's still a good idea to start it up and take it for a spin every couple of weeks or so.

Leave a comment:

• Yamaha
    replied
    'Fraid not - the idea is sound - but you'd need a much more powerful one than that to do any good - and they can get expensive!!

Mike
    Last edited by Yamaha; 14-12-2009, 20:47.

Leave a comment:

• gunerdoo
    started a topic Solar Topup Charger

Solar Topup Charger

Hi has anybody used one of "THESE" and are they OK for keeping the Car Battery topped up when stood for awhile

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
Working...
X