Gas burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas burner

Could someone give me a brief lesson in the anatomy of my 2 burner gas cooker please? One burner lights and burns fine with a steady flame and is responsive to the controls. The other lights fine but goes out as soon as I release the control knob, however long I press it in for. It also starts burning steadily but after a minute or two burns very unevenly with different coloured flames and heights of flame and quite a bit of spluttering. After which I give up cos my fingers ache from pressing the control knob. All the while the other burner is happily doing its steady stuff.

If I knew how it was put together I could work out which bits to unscrew and clean and which to poke at with a hairclip.

Help please

Thank you

J

Hi Jan.
    Your "Flame Failure Device" ( FFD or Thermo couple) has either failed or is not in the flame or has come loose at the control tap end. It's the little spike stiking up next to the burner rose. Put your hand under the rose and follow the copper tube from it back to the control knob. sometimes just moving it a tiny bit makes them work again. Never stick anything into the gas jets, they are a size for a reason ( namely the max gas burnable in an unvented appliance), sticking things into them will make them bigger. If the flame is acting up check the rose for debris or the age of the gas regulator on the bottle. It should have a date on it and needs replacing at 10 years old.
    Ant

Comment

Just realised I haven't thanked you for this advice. I still haven't sorted this, as while walking from the computer to the van I've forgotten what you told me to do and look for. I'll write it down and try again!!

Thanks again

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by jan View Post
        Just realised I haven't thanked you for this advice. I still haven't sorted this, as while walking from the computer to the van I've forgotten what you told me to do and look for. I'll write it down and try again!!

Thanks again

Jan
        What you were told to do was,buy a cheap printer
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Cheek!!! I can't help being blonde!

Comment

Originally posted by jan View Post
            Cheek!!! I can't help being blonde!
            Its true then! its not just the moors in staffs that are beautiful!
            come to morton and I will buy the cream tea,even a blonde can handle one of those.

Am I forgiven?
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

hmmmmm.............thinks...........but can you fix a gas burner?

Comment

Cookers in vans are very similar to gas cookers in the house really. You need to take off the rose and the bit it sits on, take inside and soak in some really hot soapy water, then a bit of a scrub with a brush. While it's off, make sure nothing has fallen down the gas pipe.

It all depends on what type of cooker you have as to how difficult it is to get the rose off to clean it. With the one in my Roma, which was an original model, had phillips type screw heads which had to be undone in the middle to get the rose off. Mine were hopelessly worn, so I had to file a new screw line in the centre before I could get them off! The one in my caravan was similar, but these screwed on and off as they were on a sort of push and twist housing. Once they were soaked and cleaned, they burned properly! You'll probably find that the previous owner has clogged them up with grease inside the rose.

Good luck!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X