Water pump not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pump not working

We have a smartflo water pump (uv0814 I think) which seems to be attached to a filter/trap thing on the inlet side and a white surge damper on the out side supplying water to the van. Gradually the pump started to make noises on and off even when the taps were closed. This drove us mad so we turned it off at night. The pump did work and we got water but now we get no water at all. On inspection the pump is vibrating and making a low noise when turned on but not pumping any water. We have tried the usual things and yes there is water in the tank and power and we have taken the top off the filter to see if that needed cleaning. Also there is no sign of water leaking anywhere. Any suggestion what we can try next or a diagnosis of the fault.
    many thanks Judy

As other members will know, Woozles are no technical whizzes, but we have had similar problems over the years. Usually, it turns out that air is getting into the water pipe somewhere.
    This would explain why the pump ran on while the tap was off. Sorry not to be more precise, but I am sure Ant would be able to advise in detail.
    Best wishes for a speedy repair.

Comment

It could be that you need a new pump. They don't seem to last very long! I hope that's not the case here and I hope you can fix it.

Comment

As Woozle has said - Check the hose and connections between tank and pump if the take off point (pipe out of the tank) is not at the bottom check the gubbins inside the tank -there will be an access port. If there is no fault no cure go to the other side of the pump - Before jumping to the conclusion the pump is screwed. Get a piece of water hose connect it to the pump outlet - the other end into a bucket - turn on the power if it pumps water then you have a fault in the pipe(s) twixt pump and tap.

Jon
        Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I have phoned Whale to get advice and also a dealer. The advice I am getting is that most likely the diaphragms in the pump have failed or got gunged up. The fix is a new pump. Apparently this is something we might be able to do ourselves and I was given guidance how to remove the existing one etc etc. and then replace with a new one. I am currently removing the pump and will have a look at it's mechanism . Maybe it can be cleaned up as a new pump must be pricey so it's worth a try.

Comment

If you do have to replace it take a look at the Shureflo TrailKing I have always found them to be very reliable and they are cheaper - they work the same way so it is the same pipe connections.
            Jon

Comment

Success with pump. After starting to dismantle the pump I researched a bit more online and found 2 very useful instruction pdfs for cleaning this particular pump. I have never taken a pump to bits before but followed the instructions as best I could - it didn't really look very dirty but there was some limescale. I wasn't quite brave enough to totally remove the small valves but cleaned them in situ. Putting it back together was a bit of a puzzle but I got there eventually. We have water from the taps and will monitor how well it lasts . So far looking good. Whale002.pdf Whale001.pdf In case anyone else has a similar snag I include the instructions I found online My pump is Whale UV0814.

Comment

Good to know it is fixed. Jon

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
                Working...
                X