No announcement yet.

Towbar fitting to car.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caz - maybe it is a new tester - the trouble with MoT's is the bits which ask the Tester's opinion. I even had a pass and fail on the same vehicle same test cycle.
    Tester one was happy with some parts of the body - but wanted welding to other bits. I took the van home - a mate who can weld fixed the bits marked with Yellow Crayon.

Back I go for retest - another tester (the first one's son) Told "The welding is OK but he (tester one) should have failed this this and this!" What can you do? Appeal and the van is off the road or do the work - the last time I went there! But as I said it is in some parts down to value judgements.
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

My van always goes to a place that mainly deals in taxi;s, no issues with them except it's miles away from my house.
      volvo goes to a "proper" garage with receptionist, always needs a few easy fixes which gives them a few extra quid.
      My theory is that the taxi's need soo much work doing that they dont need to find small things to satisfy mr central mot inspector.

Comment

I wanted a tow bar for my last motorhome. I called a couple of motorhome tow bar fitters who wanted about £1300, and "It must be type approved" they said. Bow Locks to that, thought I, its not worth £1300. I went to my MOT test centre who said that doesn't apply to motorhomes. So I went to a chap I know who has a shed full of steel and gallons of welding skills, with the cardboard templates I had drawn up. For £300 he welded up a tow bar that would pull down the Leaning Tower of Piza. I seem to remember looking up this 'Type Approval' regulation for tow bars, and that it required 2000 full tension and retardation cycles at some astronomic tow strain force. You cannot convince me that any motorhome manufacturer has carried out this test. It costs something like £3000 a day to have work done at a place like MIRA who issue type approvals and you wouldn't get 2000 cycles done in a day. I took the motorhome to the MOT test place and it passed just fine. If it has a 13 pin socket they test the electrics: if it has a 7 pin socket, they don't.
        My 26 year old Merc with a tow bar and 13 pin socket is being MOTd next week . . . . .
        The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

By the way I have an official tow bar for a coach built Fiat Ducato, for sale at £400. I can send photos if anyone is interested. It has lots of holes for different lengths of overhang so it should fit a big range of coachbuilts. It includes a Very Long wiring loom which stretches to the battery at the front, with the Magic Electronic Box that you need nowadays to fool the ECU into thinking that there isn't really a trailer with lights old chap so you don't need to throw a hissy fit and bring up dashboard lights and go into limp mode. It has a 13 pin socket as required for 'new' vehicles.
          The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
          Working...
          X