Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone managed to free a seized brake load sensing valve?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone managed to free a seized brake load sensing valve?

Today my 2005 Berlingo-based RH failed its MOT on a seized brake load sensing valve and imbalanced rear brakes. The tester broke it to me that the load sensing valve alone cost over £400 when he fitted one to his father's van 4 years ago and that with labour and VAT I'd be looking at a bill in the region of £800 or more. I live on a shoestring, don't have £800 and have no means of raising it.

I'm Googling how to free a seized brake load sensing valve because if I can't do it myself then the van is off the road.

Has anyone done this? What is involved? (NB I don't have any facilities other than a flat driveway and jack.)

If you haven't managed to free one, have you replaced a load sensing valve and at what sort of cost?

I have 2 weeks to sort this myself and any tips would be very helpful or my van is off the road. Thanks.

A few thoughts Karen
    1, You might have to take it off and get it where you can see it and with patience and something like plusgas penetrating oil free it off. If you can get underneath you might be able to sort it without taking it off but you will need better support than a jack. Can you buy, beg or borrow a pair of axle stands. When I go under ours I leave it in gear, put it on axle stands and wind the corner steadies down
    2. That seems an inordinate amount of money I would be investigating that.
    3. What about a seconf hand one, there are loads of Berlingo cars and vans about and Our model of van continued right up to the Enterprise range and many are scrapped because the ECU and associated electronics fail and cost more to fix than the value of a van.
    4. Give Ant a ring whilst you have chance and ask his advice.

Good luck

Peter

Comment

Euro car Parts list a couple of likely candidates in the £85-£95 region and these on ebay http://tinyurl.com/y9cdoevw are cheaper yet. I think the garage is shooting you a line! A long hard look underneath and some photos to narrow down the field would be my first move. Freeing off the valve may be possible,but brace yourself for the inevitable brake bleeding performance that will follow any spillage of brake fluid. Further research and trawling around independent garages necessary I think.

Comment

I had a 106 which failed on the same thing and the tester told me to spray WD40 onto it and work the lever backwards and forwards until it worked. As I remember it only took about half an hour to do the job, and it cost nothing.

Comment

I hope you can sort it out, Karen.

Comment

It is usually the external pivot that seizes up rather than the internal workings.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I feel a bit out of my depth with this and have next to no experience of brakes other than replacing shoes and cylinders. I don't have axle stands or ramps (I wish...) and the only jack is the one supplied with the van so I don't feel particularly well equipped either. Nor had I even heard of the brake load sensing valve until yesterday so I'm on a very steep learning curve.

I'd looked at some of the eBay parts but also noted my van isn't listed in the selection criteria (2.0 HDi tends to be missed off listings) but some of these may well fit. There is also a second hand one at £47 but if a new one is £52 on eBay, this would be preferred. It seems parts for the matching Peugeot version are options too so I'm looking into this.

Regarding costs, I have seen the part online at £390 but also £2410(!) and the eBay options.

I've just dropped off the van at a local independent garage to ask if the valve can be freed and for a quote.

Comment

Hi Karen the equivalent Prugeot Partner is only a badge engineered version of the Berlingo. If either of your local Peugeot or Citroen dealers have a halfway intelligent and helpful parts manager you can compare the cost of all parts between the 2

I have headlamp protectors on our Romahome masked up for traveling abroad. They are badged Peugeot because they were £20 cheaper than the Citoen version. The difference is that one says Citroen and the other says Peugeot. If having to buy dealer parts it pays to compare.

Good luck

Peeter

Comment

This was my thought too. It seems Peugeot versions are easier to obtain and potentially cheaper too. I've contacted the Citroen dealer for a quote for the part (and the part number...) but hope to find a cheaper aftermarket equivalent. I was warned they are expensive....

Comment

Time for a few timely reminders.

The jack supplied with the vehicle is only just capable of lifting the vehicle to change a wheel. place your spare under the vehicle once it is jacked up before you remove the wheel then swap the wheels over. jacking up at the back put in gear and lower the corner steadies. when lifting the front make sure that the handbrake is on. Be very wary of using the jack on ground that is not level.

Peter

Comment

Unexpected update:

Well, what a misdiagnosis on yesterday's MOT failure...

Following yesterday's MOT failure on the brake load sensor valve, guesstimate of £400 for a replacement part and suspicion of further underlying work, the PM has now been examined by another garage which has confirmed the valve is working perfectly. It isn't seized at all, the piston forces out when the brake is applied and even the spring is intact. In fact, he confirmed it is actually in very good condition. If he had to nit-pick, the spring assisters partially screen the view but it can be felt working so there is absolutely no doubt.

He then stripped the rear brakes and discovered that brake fluid has been leaking from a cylinder and written off a shoe. A new pair plus cylinders and labour will be a very fair £123.60.

He sees no reason why it shouldn't pass an MOT and no huge expense is needed after all. Whether the tester agrees is another matter for another day.

BTW I specifically chose an MOT testing centre which performs very little rectification work to avoid being taken for a ride with un-necessary work. Who can one trust these days...?

Comment

Well how annoying is that? So it wasn't the valve after all, it's the rear brakes? I'm so glad it turned out to be not too expensive for you. Good luck with the re-test. Take the phone number of the garage with you when you go, so that the tester can talk to someone who knows what the problem was and that it is now fixed!

Comment

Karen, Good news I think - however while you are looking in that area it would be worth spraying the valve with some WD40 or some simular lube - they are prone to seizing up and are a pig to replace - getting the adjustment correct -
                          For people's info - if you fit uprated suspension or spring assistors which raise the vehicle's rear end you will probably need to adjust the Load Sensor as it works on the height of Chassis relative to the back axle. I found each time braking moved forward - more pressure on the front wheels less braking on rears, as the brakes think the vehicle is unloaded - adjustment is by adjusting the length of the link spring - usually lengthen the spring. Do with care and frequent road testing otherwise the back wheels will be locking up.

Jon
                          Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

No No No do not use WD40 as a lubricant. it is as the WD says a water dispersant, a side effect is to dry and remove any lubricant that is there. copperslip, copprr grease is thd best for lubricating things like that. it is also good for putting on the ends of brake shoes where they rest on the pivots. Also on the spigot whete the brake drum fits on. It is also good for door hinges and locks. it is available in a tub (my tub has a hole in the lid with a small paintprush to make application easier), it is also available in an aerosol.

Just one proviso do not use it where steel and aluminium touch, it aids the electolytic degredation of the aluminium

Peter

Comment

Excellent Karen, score one for the good-guys. You are dead right about having MoT done by a garage with no vested interest, the first place with the £800 estimate is one to avoid in the future.

OK on the WD40 warnings Peter... as luck would have it we had a power cut this evening so I went out to the generator behind the house which with its mains / generator changeover switch has saved our bacon many a time, since power cuts in remote places that 'enjoy' bad weather are not uncommon. Hefty pull on the starter cord, string didn't return. However a goodly blast of Asda Maintenance Spray (WD40-ish stuff and a lot cheaper) through the vents had it moving pretty sharpish and the generator running. So it does some good, but tomorrow in the daylight I'll see about giving it a proper lube with something really oily and gloopy.
                              Last edited by mikeroch; 15-11-2017, 07:26 PM.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X