As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help on electric

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help on electric

    Hi this is my first post for some help i have a Swift Challenger 490 se. Nothing wrong with it at all. But i Sadly lost my Wife last year but we was going to buy a camper until this happened so i didn't buy 1 as it`s not the same. So i made my mind up to Buy a Van and put what i can into it from the Caravan i now have an Iveco Daily so far Me & my Brother-in-law Fit the Toilet cubicle with the Flush fitted in Fixed the Seating. all pic`s to follow.

    The Problem i have is when i Disconnected the Power Modular System PMS 2000 & all the wiring and fit it back the Wiring for the dome lights / Toilet light & Flush & Fridge 240v / 12v / Gas with the Sink Unit, All working fine on the 12v then at the Weekend i just put a 13amp plug on the Main wire and switched it on for the 240v all 240 working.

    Well the Fridge & the Battery Charger as Ive not fixed anything 240 els as yet .. Now when 240v Switched on the 12v dose not work via clicker for Cooker / fridge / Toilet flush / All Lights anything 12v stops working. Then i unplug 240 all 12v working again. I don't know where i went wrong.

    But i had to cut a few wires and re-connect some not all as most was for Towing & Car hookup witch most are still on the loom. i have the Wiring Diagram in the Log book all Orange & White are Earth.. But Pink & Slate Gray are Live and when the Battery is connected up i also have to put the Pink & Slate Gray wires Together & push them into the live to make all the 12v work.

    Ii never had to do this wile it was all in the Caravan as i plugged in the 240v and it over rides the 12v & it did i just pushed the Charge button to Re-Charge so ???? Any help would be most helpful Some Pictures of the Caravan now as im only fitting all the front end of the Caravan to the size of the Van i Bought i have fitted the Toilet Window for now other Windows to go in when the top cupboards get fitted once the Wiring gets sorted out Grrr & the Camper Pic`s will be to follow in a couple of days as there on another Camera.

    #3
    Hello Paul and if I haven't said it before, welcome to this friendly site

    Condolences on the death of your wife and brave of you to continue doing what you both enjoyed, albeit a little differently

    I can't help with the wiring question but I bet somebody can.

    Comment


      #4
      Hi from me too, and welcome. Condolences on your loss.
      I have a caravan, but its 1982 and very simple. All I know is that my lights work from the 12v battery, and the water pump (when I had one) also used to work from the 12v. When I plug in the EHU, the three pin sockets work. This was exactly the same on the small campervan I used to own as well. Two separate systems, lights/motormover on the 12v battery system, 3 pin sockets/230v to the fridge on the EHU system. Most of the stuff you mention does work from the 12v battery system, but in some caravans (like my Sister's, which is more modern than mine), the leisure battery has to be in a relay/included in the circuit/ so that both operate at the same time.

      Looking at your control unit, do you have power just to the EHU side as it is switched on in the picture? To use the 12v system, I think you might need to switch on the mains switch to the 12v system as well. If that doesn't work, it could be that your leisure battery is flat/kaput and needs replacing.

      These are the only things I can think of, not sure if it will help.

      Comment


        #5
        Hi Paul, To work out what is happening I would need to see the wiring diagram from the caravan book and a diagram showing what you have / have not connected etc.

        I assume you are using a seperate Leisure battery. If so the wires which would have gone toward the tow car are the wires which should now be going to your split charger relay. In electrical terms it does not matter whether the habitationb wiring is in a caravan or a motorhome - the only difference is you are not using a plug to connect the two circuits.

        Jon
        Fast becoming a GOG (Grumpy Old Git:joker:)

        Comment


          #6
          Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, Nice to have another caravanner joining up. Sorry to hear of your loss. Can't help with the electrical stuff I'm afraid, hope you can get it all sorted. Nice looking 'van by the way.
          Cynthia.

          Comment


            #7
            Thank you all for the Reply`s & Your kind Word`s.

            I First Fitted a New Leisure Battery of a good Friend for £45 that works at the shop i think a back door job so no questions asked. I rang round today for an auto electrician who is coming out on Friday.

            Bit it was playing on my mind all day as the wiring loom in the book looks & seam`s so easy to look through but when you look & look more it does your head in.

            Any way after a good look in the Book tonight i thought i will start from the earth wire and then went on to the live and what do you know Easy when i took my time and let it sink in now all is GOOD Yippee got it sorted all 12v seams to be working fine then the big 1 plugged in the 240v i was waiting for a bang or trip. but no all was working fine 12v / 240 all at the same time so looks good so far so hopefully i can start fitting the top units now & get the 240 plug socket`s in for the TV and Microwave and so on.

            I have taken some pictures from the Start via ripping Bulkhead out and then i started to do the insulation i used the Double sided Bubble wrap on the Floor / Sides / Roof then 2" polystyrene to the sides then the new ply Boards Floor Sides.

            I need to take the pic`s now as we have fitted the Toilet Unit with Flush Toilet & seating and sink & cooker unit.

            I am really thank full for the reply`s and the info you all that had the time to read my post & reply`s you all put so a BIG thank you to you all.

            Best Regards Paul.

            Comment


              #8
              Or sorry but i need to ring the electrician to cancel the call out and his charges many thanks again.

              Comment


                #9
                AS always I think JJ is on the ball
                BuzznDave

                Comment


                  #10
                  Originally posted by Bradford Paul View Post
                  Thank you all for the Reply`s & Your kind Word`s.

                  I First Fitted a New Leisure Battery of a good Friend for £45 that works at the shop i think a back door job so no questions asked. I rang round today for an auto electrician who is coming out on Friday.

                  Bit it was playing on my mind all day as the wiring loom in the book looks & seam`s so easy to look through but when you look & look more it does your head in.

                  Any way after a good look in the Book tonight i thought i will start from the earth wire and then went on to the live and what do you know Easy when i took my time and let it sink in now all is GOOD Yippee got it sorted all 12v seams to be working fine then the big 1 plugged in the 240v i was waiting for a bang or trip. but no all was working fine 12v / 240 all at the same time so looks good so far so hopefully i can start fitting the top units now & get the 240 plug socket`s in for the TV and Microwave and so on.
                  So was it a fault with the wires, or did you just need a new leisure battery?
                  Glad you got it sorted!

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Originally posted by jayjay View Post

                    So was it a fault with the wires, or did you just need a new leisure battery?
                    Glad you got it sorted!
                    Hi there I Bought a New Battery of a Friend that Work`s at a place £45 back door job i think. I just sat and went through the loom in the Log Book i started with checking the Earth all looked fine as the loom stated then i went through the Live & instead of having to also put the Pink Live & the Gray / Slate Live to the Battery as well as the Battery Clips to get the 12v working i checked the book and i put them into the small loom or Relay box witch is fused all 12v worked fine.

                    So then the big 1 i plugged in the 240v thinking a bang or a trip but no all seamed good Fridge working fine on 240 and all 12v lights / ignition to the fridge / cooker & cassette toilet at the same time and the Battery Charger was all working as it did when it did in the Caravan so at the moment .

                    There will be a lot of things left over to Sell off to put towards the Diesel Night Heater & Under Body Water Tank.

                    So there will be 2 lot`s of Seating & pull down fronts with the cushions / Top Cupboard`s / Windows with pull down Fly screen & black out & Curtains / 3 Way Water Heater / 3 way Gas Fire 12v 240v / 3 Sky lights Fly vent & Black out and any thing els i have missed out.

                    The Galvanized frame with Built in Brakes with make a good Car / Motor Bike Trailer with Spare wheel witch is new Tread on the other`s like new & Tow`s 100%
                    Last edited by Bradford Paul; 25-01-2018, 19:20.

                    Comment


                      #12
                      [QUOTE=Bradford Paul;n265439]

                      Hi there i just sat and went through the loom in the Log Book i started with checking the Earth all looked fine as the loom stated then i went through the Live & instead of having to also put the Pink Live & the Gray / Slate Live to the Battery as well as the Battery Clips to get the 12v working i checked the book and i put them into the small loom or Relay box witch is fused all 12v worked fine.

                      So then the big 1 i plugged in the 240v thinking a bang or a trip but no all seamed good Fridge working fine on 240 and all 12v lights / ignition to the fridge / cooker & cassette toilet at the same time and the Battery Charger was all working as it did when it did in the Caravan so at the moment .

                      There will be a lot of things left over to Sell off to put towards the Diesel Night Heater & Under Body Water Tank.

                      So there will be 2 lot`s of Seating & pull down fronts with the cushions / Top Cupboard`s / Windows with pull down Fly screen & black out & Curtains / 3 Way Water Heater / 3 way Gas Fire 12v 240v / 3 Sky lights Fly vent & Black out and any thing els i have missed out.

                      The Galvanized frame with Built in Brakes with make a good Car / Motor Bike Trailer with Spare wheel witch is new & the Tread on the other`s like new & Tow`s 100%

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                        Hi Paul, To work out what is happening I would need to see the wiring diagram from the caravan book and a diagram showing what you have / have not connected etc.

                        I assume you are using a seperate Leisure battery. If so the wires which would have gone toward the tow car are the wires which should now be going to your split charger relay. In electrical terms it does not matter whether the habitationb wiring is in a caravan or a motorhome - the only difference is you are not using a plug to connect the two circuits.

                        Jon
                        Thanks for your reply i got it sorted i have explained Below. Once again Many thanks.

                        Comment


                          #14
                          Originally posted by Bradford Paul View Post
                          Hi this is my first post for some help i have a Swift Challenger 490 se. Nothing wrong with it at all. But i Sadly lost my Wife last year but we was going to buy a camper until this happened so i didn't buy 1 as it`s not the same. So i made my mind up to Buy a Van and put what i can into it from the Caravan i now have an Iveco Daily so far Me & my Brother-in-law Fit the Toilet cubicle with the Flush fitted in Fixed the Seating. all pic`s to follow.

                          The Problem i have is when i Disconnected the Power Modular System PMS 2000 & all the wiring and fit it back the Wiring for the dome lights / Toilet light & Flush & Fridge 240v / 12v / Gas with the Sink Unit, All working fine on the 12v then at the Weekend i just put a 13amp plug on the Main wire and switched it on for the 240v all 240 working.

                          Well the Fridge & the Battery Charger as Ive not fixed anything 240 els as yet .. Now when 240v Switched on the 12v dose not work via clicker for Cooker / fridge / Toilet flush / All Lights anything 12v stops working. Then i unplug 240 all 12v working again. I don't know where i went wrong.

                          But i had to cut a few wires and re-connect some not all as most was for Towing & Car hookup witch most are still on the loom. i have the Wiring Diagram in the Log book all Orange & White are Earth.. But Pink & Slate Gray are Live and when the Battery is connected up i also have to put the Pink & Slate Gray wires Together & push them into the live to make all the 12v work.

                          Ii never had to do this wile it was all in the Caravan as i plugged in the 240v and it over rides the 12v & it did i just pushed the Charge button to Re-Charge so ???? Any help would be most helpful Some Pictures of the Caravan now as im only fitting all the front end of the Caravan to the size of the Van i Bought i have fitted the Toilet Window for now other Windows to go in when the top cupboards get fitted once the Wiring gets sorted out Grrr & the Camper Pic`s will be to follow in a couple of days as there on another Camera.
                          Hello welcome to the friendly site,sorry for your loss, just thought i'd say a quick hello from another bradfordian, now living in north yorkshire, PAT

                          Comment


                            #15
                            Originally posted by Bradford Paul View Post

                            Thanks for your reply i got it sorted i have explained Below. Once again Many thanks.
                            It is good to know you have sorted it. As always with electrics the thing is to work everything out with your brains - the manual side of it is very basic.

                            Jon
                            Fast becoming a GOG (Grumpy Old Git:joker:)

                            Comment

                            320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                            Collapse

                            728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X