New MOT test on the way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MOT test on the way

Just something I read about this morning, and thought it was worthy of note. A lot of changes to the MOT test are on the way.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/mot-test-changes-in-2018/

Thanks for the warning!

Comment

It's fine by me Jayjay, the test is to ensure that my vehicle is road safe and by extension so am I when I'm in it. I have no objection to being safe.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Thanks Jayjay.

MOTs are booked for both our diesel van and petrol car (its first) during May so we'll see how things go.
        Geoff

Comment

It doesn't affect our older vehicles though does it? A 2002 Duo for instance. I'm not even sure we have a diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Comment

I posted this on the car news thread a couple of days ago. While i also have no objection to an MOT test in the interests of safety, this new test is going to see a huge number of perfectly good diesel cars scrapped for no valid reason other than the manufacturers and dealers are charging such a ridiculously high fee for fitting new DPF's. Particularly galling as the DPF's themselves often don't do what the manufacturer claims they do anyway. Some brand new cars fitted with DPFs would fail the new MOT were they required to be tested straight away. Like many other emissions related gizmos they are a bit of a con. Building a new car is far more harmful to the environment than running an older one so scrapping huge numbers of diesels that in reality have little if anything wrong with them isn't going to help anybody.
            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I am worried now! My 2010 R20 is built on the last of the old Berlingos and on cold winter mornings there is a distinct white puff of smoke despite regular servicing (by Ant). No problem once the engine has run but that first start!

Comment

Just managed to find out that the diesel particulate filter (DPF) became standard in 2009,so in theory shouldn't affect the older vehicles (I hope so anyway)

Comment

The new (or amended) M.O.T. testing leaves my Gentry car which frequently tows my Romini, exempt. Though I am undecided whether to submit it annually for resting (one option) or or whether to run it without testing.
                  I am rather fed up with annually arguing pros and conns. with young testers who really know little about non-monocoque vehicle construction using a separate body/chassis construction. In fact I was not very chuffed with a note on my MOT Certificate pointing out that my body needed re-welding to the floor pan in places. WOW!!!! The Body is GRP and the floor pan is timber!
                  I was an M.O.T. Tester right from the M.O.T. inception - surrendering the qualification when rolling brake-testers were introduced and the company premises, being due for compulsory purpose to make way for the Chesterfield By-Pass, rendered installation of such financially uneconomic. At that time there were lots of pre. and early post war cars struggling to pass the then much less strict regulations. But my experience then, convinces me that many vehicles of that time would have struggled to pass modern M.O.T. criteria even when new.
                  I have not made up my mind yet about testing my Gentry. But if I decide not to then it is off the road for the Newark Meet!
                  Jim.
                  Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                    I am worried now! My 2010 R20 is built on the last of the old Berlingos and on cold winter mornings there is a distinct white puff of smoke despite regular servicing (by Ant). No problem once the engine has run but that first start!
                    That's just condensation, nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
                      Just managed to find out that the diesel particulate filter (DPF) became standard in 2009,so in theory shouldn't affect the older vehicles (I hope so anyway)
                      Depends which engine you have, but even if you do have DPF's fitted it is likely to still be fine. They are troublesome things and if you had problems with it you would know about it trust me. They are the main reason i got shot of my diesel Kia bus and got a petrol powered Citroen bus! Its short journeys that cause all the bother with DPFs as they are designed to clean themselves on longer runs when the engine gets hot. If you are constantly doing short runs they fir up.

Comment

I'm ok then i do around 150 miles a day in my berlingo

Comment

So, Rob B , is there anything stopping people with a diesel car and a mucky DPF just removing it prior to the MOT? Or is it a case of 'if the car was built with one insitu, then it should be fitted'? I still don't understand why older diesel cars are exempt from an MOT test; does this mean they can run about on public roads causing pollution, with impunity? Thinking of the old banger I followed the other day that was pumping out black smoke. Presumably the only way this filthy vehicle would be taken off the road is if the police spotted it.

I'm also a bit confused about advisories. Last year I had one on my Skoda's MOT which said the front brake pads were wearing thin. I confess I still haven't had them renewed as they still seem to work perfectly satisfactorily. I was going to get them renewed before the next MOT is due. (July). I've done almost 60,000 miles now on the original brake pads.
                          Cynthia.

Comment

Quote: So, Rob B , is there anything stopping people with a diesel car and a mucky DPF just removing it prior to the MOT? Or is it a case of 'if the car was built with one insitu, then it should be fitted'?

I think one of the things I read yesterday wheb trying to find out about our van, was that the new rules are exactly to catch those people who were removing the filters just for the test. The only acceptance was if the filter was in officially for repair

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                              So, Rob B , is there anything stopping people with a diesel car and a mucky DPF just removing it prior to the MOT? Or is it a case of 'if the car was built with one insitu, then it should be fitted'? I still don't understand why older diesel cars are exempt from an MOT test; does this mean they can run about on public roads causing pollution, with impunity? Thinking of the old banger I followed the other day that was pumping out black smoke. Presumably the only way this filthy vehicle would be taken off the road is if the police spotted it.

I'm also a bit confused about advisories. Last year I had one on my Skoda's MOT which said the front brake pads were wearing thin. I confess I still haven't had them renewed as they still seem to work perfectly satisfactorily. I was going to get them renewed before the next MOT is due. (July). I've done almost 60,000 miles now on the original brake pads.
                              Cynthia.
                              I think you are getting confused Cynth, older diesels pre -2005 are still subject to an MOT, they are just exempt from the new more stringent DPF checking because they don't have DPFs. So the car you followed will still have to pass it's emissions test come MOT time. It's not strictly fair to equate visible smoke to pollution though, dark black smoke just means the engine isn't burning all it's fuel cleanly but it's nitrous and particulate emissions may be no worse than a much newer car that isn't smoking. It could also have been that the owner had run a cleaning agent through the fuel system, this will cause a diesel to smoke massively for a few miles.

Under the current MOT the inspector only checks visually for the presence of a DPF, which is to say in reality it's not really checked at all. So people can and do get away with removing them. The current emissions test can't measure particulate matter so they get away with it. The new test will properly check that a DPF is present and working. Which is a good thing on the face of it but as I said before, dealers and manufacturer's are charging rip off prices for DPFs and half the time they don't capture particulate matter to the level they claim anyway, all of which will lead to huge numbers of diesels being scrapped, which has huge environmental consequences in itself.

ps. 60k on a single set of brake pads is seriously pushing your luck! It's conceivable they might last that long if all you did was motorway miles, breaking infrequently but in mixed, typical driving I'd expect pads to only do half that mileage at most
                              Last edited by Rob B; 17-04-2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X