Black soot from the hob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black soot from the hob

Hi! On our first rally, at Lickhill, (thanks for being so friendly), we found the cooking hob was giving out a terrible black soot, oily and messy. We heard all sorts of stories from others and I believe one of the magazines has had an article on this. So it is quite common. In our case, yesterday we took the Romahome to a local dealer who took the burners off the hob and blew everything out with an air hose. The muck was surprising, he suggested the hob had never been used from new. That was correct, the previous owner used the Romahome only for Tesco shopping! The problem seems to be solved now, testing at Moreton in 9 days time will tell. See you there. Graham and Carole

Some of the gas you use for cooking can also contribute - mine had the little camping gaz 907s and even after cleaning the cooker it still made the bottom of the pans a bit sooty. The 907s are a mix of butane and propane.

Butane only ones are also a bit sooty.

The best gas for not 'sooting up' is propane. A few ppl here have managed to get the smallest propane cylander into their lockers (and it's better for winter camping as it doesn't freeze), so I'm sure they'll show you how at Moreton if you want to go down that route. You'd also need a new regulator of course.

Comment

A thank you to JayJay

Thanks for the advice, JayJay. It is duly noted and we'll see how things are at Moreton. Graham and Carole (GeeCee)

Comment

More on sooty hobs

A horrible thought has struck me. My 2008 Hylo has the EU type of regulator, screwed on its side pointing skywards. It is gold coloured and marked 30mb. The T piece on top of the Camping Gaz bottle has a RED turn off tap. The Camping Gaz bottle is the 907, it is blue and is BUTANE. Is this right, or should I have a red propane bottle? Thanks. Graham

Comment

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
          A horrible thought has struck me. My 2008 Hylo has the EU type of regulator, screwed on its side pointing skywards. It is gold coloured and marked 30mb. The T piece on top of the Camping Gaz bottle has a RED turn off tap. The Camping Gaz bottle is the 907, it is blue and is BUTANE. Is this right, or should I have a red propane bottle? Thanks. Graham
          oooo not sure about the EU type. However, there's only one regulator that will fit a camping gaz cyl and it screws on to the top, or you screw the gaz onto it, if you see what I mean. The propane cyls have to be tightened up with a spanner, the ordinary butane are a push on type, any one regulator won't fit another. I think the red is there just to tell you it's the tap to turn it off and on. Both the taps inside my caravan are red, but it has nothing to do with the other end, where the propane bottle is attached.

I think I'm saying the right thing here, but could do with someone who is familliar with the EU connection you have to confirm.

Comment

THe Eu regulator is designed to take either Propane or Butane gas, the individual regulators regulate at 37mbar for Propane and 28mbar for butane, the EU regulator does everything at 30mbar. All you need is a different "pig tail" that goes from the bottle to the regulator. The Camping gaz pigtail has to be fitted to a tap mechanism which attaches to the bottle, the Propane pigtail just srews directly into the bottle.
            Ant

Comment

Sooty hobs and confusion

Thanks to all, especially Ant. As a past caravan tower the world of motorhomes is a little confusing, especially as the world seems to have moved on since I last bought a caravan, particularly with regard to gas bottles. It all becomes clearer now. And am I right in thinking that Camping Gas do NOT supply propane bottles, only butane, in their 607 size? Thanks, Graham

Comment

I've read somewhere that camping gaz is mostly butane but has a bit of propane mixed in with it.

Waiting for someone to confirm now!

Comment

Thanks, JayJay, we'll be at Moreton in 4 days time, hope to see you there. We'll be the Hylo either with smoke pouring out of the kitchen, or having 2 people with beaming smiles admiring their gleaming cooker hob! This is the last hurdle to cross for my perfect camper van, crossed fingers for success at Moreton.
                  Yesterday I noticed my battery watch was 36 hours slow but not stopped. It had a new battery 3 months ago.
                  Also, I turned Carole's laptop off-when I turned it back on it refused to go past the initial open up stage, no icons, no toolbar etc, just showing a blank screen (it still does!)
                  Then the lights at home tripped out for no reason. Ever had one of those days?
                  I am beginning to think I give out bad vibes to electrics. Graham

Comment

Fingers crossed GC!

My watches also have a habit of running slow or fast, always have ever since I had my first at the age of 12! Try putting a bit of sticking plaster on the back between the watch back and your wrist, that sometimes works.

Switch off the laptop,leave it off for approx half an hour and then turn on again. That also happens to me sometimes.

Comment

Thanks,JayJay, I will try your tip about wearing a plaster under the watch. Regarding the laptop, sadly that is a no go at present. I sent an e-mail to our local guru who came round immediately (at a cost!!) although it was Sunday. He delved into the innards and the answer was that Words has got currupted and he will have to do a Re-install of Words. While he was here Carole offered him a cuppa. Result was the electric kettle went bang! It was the last straw, we just fell about laughing. Honestly, I do know what I am doing with electrics but I am beginning to feel the gods have got it in for me!
                      We'll see you at Moreton, we'll be the Hylo with a string of repairmen queuing at the door at this rate.
                      Graham

Comment

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
                        Thanks,JayJay, I will try your tip about wearing a plaster under the watch. Regarding the laptop, sadly that is a no go at present. I sent an e-mail to our local guru who came round immediately (at a cost!!) although it was Sunday. He delved into the innards and the answer was that Words has got currupted and he will have to do a Re-install of Words. While he was here Carole offered him a cuppa. Result was the electric kettle went bang! It was the last straw, we just fell about laughing. Honestly, I do know what I am doing with electrics but I am beginning to feel the gods have got it in for me!
                        We'll see you at Moreton, we'll be the Hylo with a string of repairmen queuing at the door at this rate.
                        Graham
                        Oh heck! There are GREMLINS at your house. I always wondered when they would emigrate from the states!

Seriously, I think you need to get your electrics checked at your house, and poss the nearest sub station - theres a surge going on somewhere!

Comment

Your list of problems sounds familiar,I know of another case,not me,it sounds as if you may have a floating earth in your house.Go to a good D.I.Y store and buy a cheap 13amp socket tester that will show if all is well.If the house earth is faulty it may explain all your overload problems.
                          Dont ignore it,dogy earth can cause lots of problems.
                          Goodluck,I hope Im wrong.
                          Ian
                          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

The set up we have on our 2007 Outlook is this:
                            A small calor propane cylinder, a standard pipe, a connector to fit the propane bottle, a spare camping gaz cylinder and the connector for that cylinder so that we can cover all eventualities although this time we have changed things a bit. We now take 2 calor propane cylinders. We have had 15 days in France with only 2 nights on electricity and we have not used one cylinder of propane.

Comment

Thanks, guys. All very helpful stuff. I have built up a fair knowledge of the operation of the Hylo now and the more I know and the more I find the more happy I am. The design is a stroke of genius and the execution a lesson in quality. This is our shakedown period. The programme is Moreton, a week's break, 3 weeks in Scotland, a week's break, and then &th June meandering at will through France to Southern Spain and then back by 3rd September. After that? Who knows? Graham:so happy:

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X