See less

Bad steering wheel shake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John was washing the van this week and noticed that the outside of the passenger side tyre was a little worn, despite a good tread on the rest of it.

He didn't want to worry about the safety issue so took it to Kwikfit which is very local to us and they sorted it within hours. We expected to have to drop her off the following day when the two new tyres were in but a couple of hours after he got home they said they'd got them so back he went.

A couple of hundred pounds later (including tracking etc) his wallet is lighter and he says it is now noticeably a bit lighter on the steering.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
      On the point of Traffic Calming Measures....I have always wondered that if a road is designated as say...30mph and its legal to do so, if anybody puts something in the road (council) that when driving at that legal speed this obstruction causes damage to your vehicle...are they not liable ?
      What next???????? If we fail to negotiate a corner within a 30 restricted area, driving of course within the speed limit, will we expect the Council to pay for our careless driving?
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Here in France, wherever there are speed humps the limit reduces to 20kph.
        Even the sat nav knows, and it wails if you don't slow down.
        But in the 'van I used to take them a lot slower than that!
        Away with the Fairies

Comment

TwoIitre you seem to have lost the drift...

We are not saying you should be able to drive to the speed limit on any road all of the time, you obviosly need to take road conditions, the weather and pedestrians etc into account but If You or I were to lay something across the road (I have laid across a road a hose whilst draining a pond) we would be responsible if somebody had an accident or a vehicle was damaged whilst driving over it.

So why can the council do this with impunity ?

Comment

You will find that if you push the clutch pedal in just before the front wheels hit the speed bump, and let the vehicle freewheel over it, you won't feel the bump so much. It works at any speed.

Comment

Donk's Dad, what would you say the purpose of traffic calming measures is?
              And are speed humps not usually signed in advance?
              I hate them, but they do work.
              Away with the Fairies

Comment

everyone seems to looking at this from the wrong angle.

I was not disparaging their usefulness of effectiveness ?
                I was merely questioning the responsibility of those who put them there !
                Again "If You or I were to lay something across the road we would be responsible if somebody had an accident or a vehicle was damaged whilst driving over it. "

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                  everyone seems to looking at this from the wrong angle.

I was not disparaging their usefulness of effectiveness ?
                  I was merely questioning the responsibility of those who put them there !
                  Again "If You or I were to lay something across the road we would be responsible if somebody had an accident or a vehicle was damaged whilst driving over it. "
                  I think the point you are overlooking is that there is clear legislation about speed humps

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...roduction/made

If the humps don't comply then by all means sue the council, but if the council is complying with the law then its back is covered and I guess you would have to sue the government for getting the legislation wrong. And I think TM has other things on her mind right now ;-)

If you find a law that governs how private individuals are permitted to lay hoses or whatever across the road, then your back would be covered too. But I have never heard of one.
                  Away with the Fairies

Comment

My post was meant to ask the bigger question, which appears to be being overlooked !

How is it that damage can be justified...even if its government legislation ?

How can damage be OK if caused by some but not by others ?

Comment

Surely, if damage is caused because by speed-ramps which are within the STATUTORY regulations then a compensation claim should be honoured.
                      But if the damage is the result of reckless or undue speed then the driver MUST be responsible for damage and cost. And even damage to the speed ramp!
                      As said "they do work". Though I must admit I hate them! In fact driving my own taxi in the twilight of my professional driving activities I gave in and RETIRED from professional driving (which hammered my savings), because of aggravated lower-back pains. Which hammered my savings until my O.A. Pensions kicked in.
                      I do not blame the government or local authorities - just the stupidity of quite a high percentage of drivers fooled by the seeming ability of many modern vehicles to "ride" much larger surface deviations than in the past. There used to be a time when "rumble strips" kept trffic speeds under control!
                      Jim.
                      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment