LED Bulbs on the Vehicle,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Bulbs on the Vehicle,

A wile ago i tried changing the indicator bulbs on the Suzuki Carry to LED Bulbs I found that the indicators flashed faster ( funny enough not when both are activated as Hazard Lights) and I seem to remember it was mentioned on here that the LED Bulbs need a driver or controller to stop this.

I am again considering it so i want to get it right.

Halfords don't mention anything about the flash rate but I think you do need to fit a flasher relay.

Interestingly, LED replacements are not legal unless they're E-marked which replacement units aren't. They are legal when fitted to new vehicles:

https://www.halfords.com/advice/motoring/buyers-guides/led-car-bulbs-buyers-guideWhich bulbs can be LED?

The bulbs that can be replaced by LEDs include side, fog, indicator, brake, tail, number plate and interior lights. These can all be upgraded without wiring changes.

LEDs are only legal when used as interior bulbs or off-road.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/faqs.html

LED bulbs and HID conversion kits are not strictly road legal as they cannot be E-marked

I doubt any traffic officer (if you ever see one!) is going to pull you over, but it might fail an MOT by over-zealous tester.

John

Comment

I am now considering replacing the full light cluster with Led lights as one of my rear lights back plate is in two pieces and the front lens is cracked.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-12v-....c100290.m3507

Comment

What you want is to change the flasher unit for one of these.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...from=R40&rt=nc

turn thew little nob to set the correct flash rate - I have been using one for about a year now.
        As regards legality - mine passed the last MoT also if you look nearly every truck on the motorway is now fitted with LED units.
        I think it is an area where technology has left the legislators trailing behind.

I do not have LED headlight bulbs because of a polarity problem with the Daihatsu wiring it is common pin 12v+ and switched earth - while the H$ LEDs all seem to be switched 12v+ and common earth -, but rear light clusters, front indicator, front side light, high level brake light and fog lights are all LED. So the only bulbs are in the panel and the H4 headlight bulbs. Oh and cab interior light.
        Jon
        Last edited by kernowjon; 21-07-2018, 11:32.

Comment

Thanks Jon

Is this the same ?, as its located in the UK

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CF14-3-Pi...0AAOSwA1pavL9p

Comment

That is the exact one I have - check the pin layout they do several with different pin layout - the 3 pins are +12ve (supply), -12ve (earth), and L (indicators - L for lamps?) .

I had a problem it would not fit in the holder - not sure why so I made up 3 fly leads - lucar female one end lucar spade the other and taped the unit to a convenient location by the fuses - it works.

Jon

Comment

The adjustable flasher unit arrived today and although fiddly to get at, i was able to swap it straight over for the original and all is working well.

Thanks Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                The adjustable flasher unit arrived today and although fiddly to get at, i was able to swap it straight over for the original and all is working well.

Thanks Jon
                Good to know you are flashing correctly - just a thought - you may need to readjust if the trailer is on or change body if your little van box uses the Pick-up lights. Just a twiddle of the knob Maybe give an update on that
                Jon

Comment

Had thought of that. I sometimes tow a trailer (have 3 different sizes to choose from) when the Van Box body is on and very in-frequently use the small one when the camping pod is on,

I will watch with interest to see the outcome and let you all know !

Comment

My guess would be - if your trailer lightboard is LED then there will be no dramatic changes in the current draw, but if bulb the change - increased current is about 1.3 amps - so may make som difference.
                    Jon

Comment

All three trailers are fitted with LED Lamps and indecently have never had any effect on the vehicle lights when plunged in... They work as normal

Comment

Plugeg in one of the trailers today.(they all have the same LED lights but i tried the four wheeler that has double number plate lights and two front red/white corner marker lights) and all worked OK

Comment

GREAT

Comment

The LED Bulb's for the indicators (offset pins) arrived and I fitted them but were disappointed that they are not as bright as the normal bulbs, so i changed them back.

First time i have found LED's to be dimmer

Comment

Must be the ones you bought - check the leds in each unit - I think there is a smaller size less LEDs per unit for mimicking the 5w bulb and larger ones for 21w. The last ones I had fitted were described as 18 SMD On my new front end I use complete LED units sold for LandRover upgrades.

These look as if they will be bright enough https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-1156-L...QAAOSwO95Zet83

Jon

Comment