Eberspacher Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eberspacher Heater

In the 11 years or so that we have had our Romahome we have never been entirely satisfied with the performance of the heater. Culminating in it refusing to start again a few weeks ago when off grid.

I booked it into Ribblesdale Auto Electrics Preston, our local Eberspacher serice centre, I took the Romahome in on Monday morning and they connected it up to the mains, connected their laptop and ran all the checks, only 45 hrs use in 11 years, no faults logged and it started. They ran it for 30 minutes, and it worked fine. Disconnected it from the mains and at my request they tried to start it and it wouldnt start, it showed low voltage at the glow plug in spite of the leisure battery being a known good one and fully charged.

The conclusion was that the problem was caused by voltage drop between the battery and the heater. The power cables run from the leisure battery under the passenger seat to the rear of the van into the locker with the hot water calorifier in it then up to the thermostat on the wall at the side of the hob then back down to the heater. There are a number of white "multi" connectors in the circuit. Each one can cause an extra resistance and thus cause a voltage drop,

After a bit of a discussion we decided that the way forward was to wire a feed to the heater directly from the leisure battery.. I spent the rest of Monday wiring an extra power supply and earth to the heater from the battery using 3mm cable and an inline fuse. It required 2m of cable for the power and 2m for the earth.. Time for testing and the heater fired up straight away, I ran it for 30 min then shut it down. Left for 24 hrs and tried again and it worked. Using a multimeter I checked the voltage drom on my newly installed wiring, it was negligible.

The only downside was that I had to complete most of the work flat on my back under the Romahome on our chippings drive including soldering. A by product was the spotting and replacement of an exhaust pipe hanger that was on the verge of breaking,

I will continue to test and report back.

Peter