Solar Panel Wiring Route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Panel Wiring Route

Whether I'm doing the right thing or not, time will tell.

Has anyone fitted a 100 watt panel to the roof on a Duo?

Yes I know it will spoil the roof line profile.

My problem is where to run the cables to the controller without drilling a hole in the roof.

The controller will be sited behind the passenger seat as it is close to the battery.

I thought I could go in through the rear roof vent but this will increase the length of cable run and also the Fly Mesh flap is in the way.
    I can't see a viable route through here.

If I have to drill a hole in the roof where is the best place for ease of access to bring the cables through the roof lining. Above the cab?

The panel will be stuck down with Sikaflex 512 using ABS corner plastic mounting brackets, so I don't intend drilling holes for that.

I have a Roof Cable Entry Gland/Solar Panel Double Cable Gland Box should I need to drill a hole in the roof.

Regards

Steve

IMG_20180706_104319.jpg I have posted this pic before of my 100watt panel. Under the waterproof box there are actually two holes. Seemed the neatest way to me.

Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

The gland box stuck down with sika should easily be waterproof . Does the duo have a rooflight? i brought my wires in through mine. If you care about the roof profile semi flexible panels need hardly show at all.

Comment

Thanks guys,
        The roof light seemed to be the easy option but I could not see a way past the Fly Mesh screen.
        Jon I think you have sold it to me, 2 holes and a short run to battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulliver7952 View Post
          Thanks guys,
          The roof light seemed to be the easy option but I could not see a way past the Fly Mesh screen.
          Jon I think you have sold it to me, 2 holes and a short run to battery.
          No short run to the charge controller - then a short run to the battery another Jon

Comment

Another point is that bringing the cables in over the cab means that the inside wiring is more or less out of site in the storage space.
            Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment