Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper Van Propex Heater Fault

Hi all.
    I am new to the forum so please be gentle with me.
    I have a propex heater in my campervan that gives a 3 flash red light fault after every drive. It is possible that the van has a smart alternator that pushes out too much power? Its a Ford Transit Custom 2016 plate. The heater is sensitive between 10v and 15v. Will the alternator really push out 15v?
    It is quite easy to clear the fault by turning the fan on and off around 4 times. But I wonder if this is ok long term or will it harm the heater?
    ANY HELP REALLY APPRECIATED

My Propex was sensitive to the battery voltage dropping as the battery run down so i was advised (on here) to fit a buck booster which gives a continuous voltage (adjustable) to the heater as the battery fades.

It may work the other way round to stop the voltage spiking higher but other more knowledgeable members will put you right

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
      Hi all.
      I am new to the forum so please be gentle with me.
      I have a propex heater in my campervan that gives a 3 flash red light fault after every drive. It is possible that the van has a smart alternator that pushes out too much power? Its a Ford Transit Custom 2016 plate. The heater is sensitive between 10v and 15v. Will the alternator really push out 15v?
      It is quite easy to clear the fault by turning the fan on and off around 4 times. But I wonder if this is ok long term or will it harm the heater?
      ANY HELP REALLY APPRECIATED
      Hi Wil
      Have you put a meter across your battery and seen 15 or more volts with the engine running? - If you have you have a serious altenator problem and you are lucky the battery has not gone BANG charging volts should be between 13.5 and 14.5 volts.
      I know little about Intelligent Altenators - too modern for me, but I had a quick read - I assume you have fitted a leisure battery - evidently you cannot have a standard "split charge" set up that costs pennies to make - instead you have to have a battery to battery charger - I saw a price quoted of just over £180. I am glad my old truck has an old type altenator.
      Jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
      https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
      Working...
      X