Omnidirection digital TV aerial suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omnidirection digital TV aerial suggestions

We have a Status omnidirectional aerial which came with the caravan, but picks up analogue, only. Did they do a similar digital tv replacement, that would fit without too much bother. Is this a simple job to do? Our one also has a booster and two outlets, within the van itself.

Thanks.
    Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Originally posted by zaphod View Post
    We have a Status omnidirectional aerial which came with the caravan, but picks up analogue, only. Did they do a similar digital tv replacement, that would fit without too much bother. Is this a simple job to do? Our one also has a booster and two outlets, within the van itself.

Thanks.
    Hi Pal,
    I have been keeping a eye on the digital aerial setup for TV in my Romahome,recently I saw an article on an industry website which said omnidirectional aerials are useless for digital and the answer is either a multi-element high gain aerial with a pole to setup,or a small portable Satelitte dish.
    I figure both are to big for my R20,so I am still looking.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

The booklet that dropped through my letterbox yesterday containing advice about the switch to digital signals says emphatically that there is "no such thing" as a digital aerial for terrestrial signals. Though high gain aerials may be an advantage
      Are you sure you were trying it in a digital area? You most certainly will only get anologue signals round here. WE do not go digital until next August! I suspect there must be many other areas still in waiting.
      jim.
      Last edited by Twolitre; 05-06-2011, 20:56.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

they definately do a digital version as the dealer told us they had just changed the one on our Motorhome when we bought it. Can't say how easy a job it was though, sorry!!

We have a digital version on our caravan at the mo.
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Details here, including fitting instructions

http://www.gradeuk.co.uk/store/produ...helfid=44S45S1
          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
            they definately do a digital version as the dealer told us they had just changed the one on our Motorhome when we bought it. Can't say how easy a job it was though, sorry!!

We have a digital version on our caravan at the mo.
            Well now. Do we listen to the people who provide the broadcasts? Or the dealer in business to make a profit??
            Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
              The booklet that dropped through my letterbox yesterday containing advice about the switch to digital signals says emphatically that there is "no such thing" as a digital aerial for terrestrial signals. Though high gain aerials may be an advantage
              Are you sure you were trying it in a digital area? You most certainly will only get anologue signals round here. WE do not go digital until next August! I suspect there must be many other areas still in waiting.
              jim.
              I agree Jim, from our experience in the house, we have an ordinary aerial which has been there for 30 years and we can pick up lots of digital channels. I think a lot of people are being conned into buying special aerials that they don't need. Not sure about caravan aerials though.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                Well now. Do we listen to the people who provide the broadcasts? Or the dealer in business to make a profit??
                Jim.
                Sorry if I was misinformed, I was simply passing on information I had been given by the dealer who told me that whilst testing everything prior to collection they had found the aerial was not picking up digital so had replaced it for a new 'digital' one. It wasn't sales talk, he already had my money!! Maybe he was misinformed too???

Comment

I thought Zaphod was looking for a digital omni-directional aerial,there isnt one.
                  The status set is not omni directional,you have to point it in the right direction and also decide on orientation,vertical or horizontal.
                  They are way to big for my R20.
                  All the information I have seen says you need a fairly big high gain,multi element setup to recieve digital,that situation may improve when the analog is turned off and the digital signal is boosted,I will just have to wait and see.
                  Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

My sister has a status aerial on her caravan, which is almost 20 years old. It's the original one still there, and it picks up all the digital signals when she goes caravanning. That's in a high dig sig area in N wales.

So I would say try it in a digital signal area first. If there's no signal where there should be one, then it might be worth checking to see that the leads are connected properly or having a new one fitted. If you do a search on status aerials, you get as many 'greats' as you do 'hopeless' comments, so I would think that some work very well (like my sisters) and some need looking at!

The ones that are attached to a caravan and look like mushrooms are omni-directional, no adjustment required and no need to point in the right direction. Only the separate status ones - fixed to a mast rather than a caravan roof - can be moved around.

I think they are very expensive for what they are. I have one of these:
                    http://www.aerialshack.com/mobile-wi...oat-p-487.html which works brilliantly!

Jim and Graham are both correct in saying there is no such thing as a 'digital' aerial... My parents were talked into buying one for their house. Very posh looking a bit like a wire toaster. It didn't make any difference to the signal strength though. Their particular problem was at the tv end!

Comment

Although digital arrived on the scene after I had retired from the TV trade, I can assure everyone that there is no such thing as a digital only aerial. What does for analogue signals does equally as well for digital, and vice versa.
                      Not seen it mentioned much on this forum, but it is well worth buying an aerial amplifier. I seem to need mine every time I want to use the TV when camping, no matter where I am located. The inside van aerial I have always used (40 plus years old) is a multi-element type - a smaller version of what would typically be seen on a house roof. Come back analogue, all is forgiven
                      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by alive23512 View Post
                        Although digital arrived on the scene after I had retired from the TV trade, I can assure everyone that there is no such thing as a digital only aerial. What does for analogue signals does equally as well for digital, and vice versa.
                        Not seen it mentioned much on this forum, but it is well worth buying an aerial amplifier. I seem to need mine every time I want to use the TV when camping, no matter where I am located. The inside van aerial I have always used (40 plus years old) is a multi-element type - a smaller version of what would typically be seen on a house roof. Come back analogue, all is forgiven
                        Tony
                        Nice to be supported by someone more qualified than me to comment.
                        I can certainly vouch for the effect of an aerial amplifier. I always needed one at home to receive even analogue terrestrial signals. However I now use a free-sat box at home.
                        My son uses an amplifier in his caravan with a remarkable improvement on many sites. Probably because caravan aerials are by their nature much lower than domestic aerials and are well shrouded by hills, trees and surrounding buildings.
                        Jim.

Comment

Hi All,

I have posted before about this subject and here are the conclusions of what I have personally experienced. This is not to say it will be the same for all, it really depends on where you are and the kit you have.

I have a collection of omni-directional aerials at home – none of which picked up a decent digital signal regardless of a signal booster or not.

In my humble opinion, the more of the signal you can collect out of the air, the better. Then, if needs be, amplify that, but don’t forget, if the signal isn’t there in the first place, then it can’t be amplified. All you end up doing is amplifying the background noise, which is then filtered out.

The aerial I have found the best is a multi element (more of the traditional style) aerial – mounted to some sort of post. Yes, you have to point it in the right direction, and the right way up.

The aerial I bought was from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caravan-Camp...dp/B000NVR7ZM

It is quite short, but more importantly, the reflector part (the bit at right-angles to the main shaft) bolts on and off with a wing-nut. This means the main part and this part can be “flat-packed” for travelling and re-assembled in seconds on site.

The stand it came with was rubbish – it was intended to stick to the side of the van with 3 large suckers. Theses stayed on for a few minutes, then one by one “popped” off. The other problem was the slope of the side of my van meant that the aerial was no longer pointing either vertically nor horizontally!

I converted the stand that came with it to a roof mounted version by cutting the stand in half, then bolting it back together at 90 degrees. This was ok, but bulky.

In the end, I have settled for a mag-mount base (from a useless omni-directional aerial), a simpler right-angle bracket, and then rest of the original pole to hold the aerial from the end.

The advantage of the Carry van is that the engine is mounted under the driver/passenger seats, so under the bonnet is the radiator, brake fluid / water washer bottles and a few hoses. This means I can store the collapsed aerial and the stand in there – useful when space is precious.

With this aerial, I can pick up about 90 freeview channels (in a good zone) and about 30 at worst.

The other thing to note is that you need a better signal with digital compared with analogue. With analogue, if the signal is weak, or is picking up some interference, then you simply get a fuzzy, or patterned picture. With digital, the similar conditions will mean either no signal at all, or the picture/sound will freeze with random splodges on the picture, until the signal is clear once again.

Ironically, I point the aerial towards the best analogue picture, then fine turn on the digital version. This feature of pointing in the right direction will of course be lost after the switch-over.

Finally, and I know I have rattled on, I have been told that once the switch-over happens, stronger digital signals will be sent out as they will be able to use the more powerful transmitters that currently send out the analogue signal, so it might be an idea to wait for the big switch-over in your area, or your holiday destination before you invest money in your equipment.

These are my humble finding and are based on my understanding and experience with this problem. Shoot holes in it if you like.

Dave
                          SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
                          "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

Originally posted by steamydave View Post
                            Hi All,

.......... but don’t forget, if the signal isn’t there in the first place, then it can’t be amplified. All you end up doing is amplifying the background noise, which is then filtered out.

With this aerial, I can pick up about 90 freeview channels (in a good zone) and about 30 at worst.

Dave
                            "....if the signal is'nt there in the first place..." Cites my situation at home.
                            There IS a very weak digital signal only two hundred yards away. But the topography totally prevents me receiving it. "at worst" would be zero if you tried it on my land!
                            At the Bedgelert Forest Campsite in Wales, Ian and I saw people setting up aerials in anticipation of watching the Royal Wedding. And putting them away again after struggling for a while with no success.
                            The point I am trying to make is to make sure you are in a viable zone before condemning any aerial - digital or otherwise.
                            I think a Postcode search will still reveal many areas not yet converted.
                            Jim.

Comment

Hi,

I learned a bit more from my aerial friend …

Analogue signals used to have problems with 2 different masts broadcasting over the same area. This would cause problems if you sat in the middle and got both signals. There would be interference between the 2 signals.

The solution to this would be to use an aerial with reduced bandwidth so you select out the just the signal you want to pick-up from the particular transmitter. Sorted!

However, digital signals and stations are spread over the whole band width. SO, if you have a reduced bandwidth aerial, it will never “see” all the channels no matter what direction it is pointing, nor no matter how strong the signal is coming out from the transmitter!!!

Again, try the signal before you invest after the switch-over, and as Jim points out, make sure there is actually a signal there to collect in the first place!!!

Dave
                              SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
                              "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X