Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 v power cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    12 v power cable

    Hello I'm attempting a one person conversion
    has anyone any ideas how I can run a external standard 12v camping power cable safely into a Berlingo car.
    Thanks in anticipation of your help. PT

    #2
    Paul,
    I am struggling to understand your question. Usually external power cables are Electric Hook Up cables bringing 240v AC into the camper. It maybe a bit of a job to do this - it will probably involve making bodywork mods
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mains-240...HGB3:rk:1:pf:0
    In the simplest form - inside the vehicle you will need a distribution unit incorporating RCDs and 2 or 3 13amp sockets plus a 240v light.

    If you want to run 12v dc power from your Berlingo say into a tent or awning then the simple way is to install an external 12 v socket possibly in the tailgate or the rear bumper.
    Something like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-Wa...43lA:rk:7:pf:0

    I hope this helps.
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
      Paul,
      I am struggling to understand your question. Usually external power cables are Electric Hook Up cables bringing 240v AC into the camper. It maybe a bit of a job to do this - it will probably involve making bodywork mods
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mains-240...HGB3:rk:1:pf:0
      In the simplest form - inside the vehicle you will need a distribution unit incorporating RCDs and 2 or 3 13amp sockets plus a 240v light.
      I bought a one of these
      https://www.leisureoutlet.com/site-m...YaArfSEALw_wcB
      Cut it the use one the those sockets fitted into the Bumper.


      Be Free, Be Safe, Be Happy and most of all Enjoy Yourself

      Comment


        #4

        Sorry Paul, but I too am struggling to understand your question.
        The first requirement for help is to know what the cable is intended to power at the receiving end - A demountable? A caravan? Or a tent?. That will determine the current carrying capacity of the cable. And the number of insulated strands strands? THEN when the cable size is settled the most suitable path to connect it to the car internals can be chosen.
        A frightening thought is that you are surely not misunderstanding the requirements for electric hook-up (EHU) on standard camping sites

        Jim. (Twolitre)


        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

        Comment


          #5
          Hi my mistake the cable is 240v i have a standard camping power cable with RCD and plug sockets. I wanted ideas how to safely run the cable so the plugs can be used inside the car with out cutting into the side panels if possible. The camping shop suggested placing the cable through a partially open window or removing part of boot seal ? Any idea comments. Cheers. PT

          Comment


            #6
            Paul, I think you either go with the camping shops suggestion on open windows - removing seal sounds like a recipe for disaster too easy to cut through the cable - WHICH COULD BE LETHAL as the shorting wire to car body is before the RCD -
            Or you commit to your conversion and cut into the panels making a proper job of it.
            Third option - no 240v - a 100 watt roof mounted Solar panel and everything wired around 12v.

            Jon
            Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
            https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Teloupee View Post

              I bought a one of these
              https://www.leisureoutlet.com/site-m...YaArfSEALw_wcB
              Cut it the use one the those sockets fitted into the Bumper.

              That is a very neat job!

              Panda
              These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

              Comment


                #8
                Teloupee that is an absolutely cracking job, no panels cut - I guess a single hole for the cable - don't forget a grommet.
                I think Paul T you have your solution in spades
                Jon
                Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                  Teloupee that is an absolutely cracking job, no panels cut - I guess a single hole for the cable - don't forget a grommet.
                  I think Paul T you have your solution in spades
                  Jon
                  There was no need to drill either as ther was a rubber gromet the other side of the bumper just below the lights.
                  So NO damage at all only hole cut in bumper.
                  Be Free, Be Safe, Be Happy and most of all Enjoy Yourself

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                  Collapse

                  728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X