As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cost of fitting a leisure battery?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    cost of fitting a leisure battery?

    how much roughly should i be looking to pay to have one set up?

    #2
    This shouldn't be an expensive job - about £70'ish for the battery and £25'ish for the split charger, if you have one.

    Before proceeding, check with your insurance company that the modification is acceptable. My insurer wasn't too happy about the split charger so I bought one of these instead which I charge via the 12v lighter socket while driving. It's not perfect but it's the next best thing and would be classed as an 'item in transit' rather than a leisure battery for insurance purposes!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automot...9604069&sr=8-4

    I use it to power my lap-top and leccy blanket in winter (on a timer so the battery isn't flattened) and it performs well.

    (If you order one, remember to use the Amazon link on the forum so that the forum gets a little commission!)

    Comment


      #3
      Can't understand the problem with a split charger it is standard fitting with any towbar electrics for a caravan.

      You can fit the battery yourself and get any auto-electrician to wire it for you, or if you are at all competent you can do it yourself. I can give you more details if needed

      Peter

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by peterholden View Post
        Can't understand the problem with a split charger it is standard fitting with any towbar electrics for a caravan. Peter
        In my case, my van has to remain a 'van' for insurance purposes, not a motorhome/campervan.

        Fitting a split-charger would be no problem at all if it were classed as the latter - but I don't want to take this route because it would be too niche market for resale.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by karenw View Post
          This shouldn't be an expensive job - about £70'ish for the battery and £25'ish for the split charger, if you have one.

          Before proceeding, check with your insurance company that the modification is acceptable. My insurer wasn't too happy about the split charger so I bought one of these instead which I charge via the 12v lighter socket while driving. It's not perfect but it's the next best thing and would be classed as an 'item in transit' rather than a leisure battery for insurance purposes!

          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automot...9604069&sr=8-4

          I use it to power my lap-top and leccy blanket in winter (on a timer so the battery isn't flattened) and it performs well.

          (If you order one, remember to use the Amazon link on the forum so that the forum gets a little commission!)
          i dont want to put a leisure battery in to be honest as i only want to power a 12v tv/dvd are there any other ways to do that without flattening the battery?

          Comment


            #6
            The battery pack that I should do this. It also has a 230v/300w inverter and is very versatile - and you can recharge it as you drive so it's the next best thing to a conventional leisure battery with charging facility and no insurance implications.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by karenw View Post
              The battery pack that I should do this. It also has a 230v/300w inverter and is very versatile - and you can recharge it as you drive so it's the next best thing to a conventional leisure battery with charging facility and no insurance implications.
              how can i find out more about the battery pack?. i hope to use a few campsites but if im wild camping it would be nice to watch a dvd for a hour or two..

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by welshjason View Post
                how can i find out more about the battery pack?. i hope to use a few campsites but if im wild camping it would be nice to watch a dvd for a hour or two..
                Just follow the above Amazon link and you can read my review of it. It's the 40amp/H version and I've been using it on all my recent camping trips. It's not cheap but it's very versatile and I would recommend it as a practical alternative to a leisure battery in a van adaption where a full conversion isn't appropriate.

                Comment


                  #9
                  If you just want to watch tv for a few hours, you could just buy a little portable tv with an inbuilt lithium battery, its good for approx 3hrs tv, 2hrs DVD and can charge in the car when out and about. That's what I do when on a non-electric site. I have an extension for the cig lighter socket in the car and feed it through to the boot to charge the TV ready for the next time I want it.

                  Something like on the link below, only don't buy direct from China, find a UK distributor!
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Portabl...item3cb87c771c

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by karenw View Post

                    (If you order one, remember to use the Amazon link on the forum so that the forum gets a little commission!)
                    Thanks Karen
                    Graham
                    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Split charger has nothing to do with being a campervan, it is part oftowbar electrics as fitted to any vehicle that is capable of towing a caravan (whether or not you tow a caravan). It is then up to you what you do with it. Our local caravan dealer used to make a connection to the towbar electrics so that caravanners could put a removable battery box and battery in the boot to charge it up when off site.

                      Comment

                      320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                      Collapse

                      728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X