Flexible Solar Panel Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flexible Solar Panel Mounting

If you notice the time of posting you may think I should be asking for tips on how to defeat insomnia

OK all the solar panels I have used to date have been rigid aluminium framed which have been both stuck and bolted, or pop rivetted to the roof. This time I am being adventurous a flexible solar panel.

Can I merely stick it to the roof, using Sikaflex or Tigerseal, without ant screws or bolts. The roof is GRP. and relatively flat.

Jon

Yes you can. If you use sikaflex you will never get it off again. If there are any trapped air bubbles underneath temperature expansion will break the panel. It would be better to use intermittent strips of glue than a total boundary layer.
    mine are spaced off the ribs in such a way to keep the panels cooler by ventilation. I used butyl putty, which never sets, except stixall on the long edges, where i can cut it with a knife. I did put self tappers in the front corners, buf I am pretty sure they were not needed

Comment

That's what I did with mine and it's showing no sign of movement after a year. I had to use some quite heavy weights to hold it down while the adhesive cured.
      Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment