Leak - but how or where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak - but how or where

The Suntrekker is built like a boat double skin GRP with foam core. Therefore we expect any leak to come through a poorly sealed apperture. However we have a leak that defeats us where the source is.
    We have renewed the seal between the wetroom and the rest of the habbitation - and yet water / a leak has appeared at floor level in the habitation area. There is no damp down the sides so it is not coming in through vents or poorly sealed window etc. After lifting the floor covering there is a glisten of wetness along old sealant where the floor joins the side.
    Monday I intend to jack-up the unit and see if I can see any damage to the turn area of the grp - any other ideas?
    Jon

If you need to seal under the floor completely,how about two part warehouse paint,nothing gets through that and it should adhere nicely to GRP.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Could it be from your fridge defrosting?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
        Could it be from your fridge defrosting?
        Good point and worth looking at It has not been turned off since being fitted in April / May - I'll have to get some towels and turn it off.
        Jon

Comment

No not fridge - there is a shelf under it and no damp / wet on the shelf - not even on the site guide which is stored (chucked) on it. So no not defrosting fridges.
          Jon

Comment

I had a flood after doing a deep-clean of my loo / shower. Confident that it would all surely be sealed everywhere and having first scrubbed and cleaned the surfaces and floor, I gently sluiced everything down with the hosepipe including those awkward-to-reach nooks and crannies around the loo. THAT was the problem, somewhere out of sight behind the loo must be a hole that my hose squirting found, water escaped the shower room, got beneath the plastic mouldings and flooded the floor. I shan't be so diligent in future!.

Comment

Another thing I thought of was that perhaps your taps are leaking somewhere along the line from container to tap. Perhaps not connected tight enough if there are any joins.

Water always travels downwards, so it could be from quite high up somewhere!

Comment

mikeroch thank you - I thought of this first time and resealed the wetroom and sealed that bulkhead on both sides.
                jayjay Unfortunately no it isn't - I am thinking either Fridge final test tonight - not sure how but triple checking. Or the it is the external GRP on the turn - I know from kit cars it is quite common for the skin to be thin on the turn - unfortunately my drive is a slope so we have to go to the carpark by the park - the one where people wild camp about 8 including a caravan, and a 7.5 tonne truck conversion down there yesterday. It is flat and little problem to work on it down there.
                Jon

Comment

Not your problem I know Jon but Liz and I were surprised to find wet under our loo. Now I always sit to reduce any chance of inaccuracy, so we couldn't work out why there would be liquid, and it appeared just to be water. Mystery solved, we discovered that if we fill the holding tank of the porta-potti loo a bit too generously then a decent pump flush would not only send water swirling around the bowl to clean but a goodly part of the flush would escape the bowl rim, go into orbit and descend back down into the loo compartment. Phew, at least it was jut clean water after all - I was worried the porta-potti itself might have developed a crack or a leak.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                    Not your problem I know Jon but Liz and I were surprised to find wet under our loo. Now I always sit to reduce any chance of inaccuracy, so we couldn't work out why there would be liquid, and it appeared just to be water. Mystery solved, we discovered that if we fill the holding tank of the porta-potti loo a bit too generously then a decent pump flush would not only send water swirling around the bowl to clean but a goodly part of the flush would escape the bowl rim, go into orbit and descend back down into the loo compartment. Phew, at least it was jut clean water after all - I was worried the porta-potti itself might have developed a crack or a leak.
                    Thanks Brian, Nearly was our problem - and before i resealed the wetroom bulkhead it was high on my list. I also noticed if the holding tank is filled a bit too generously it can slop past the filler cap on our model - it is not airtight (or flushing would cause a vacume) We use a loo Blue which you are supposed to dilute in the flush tank BiPot so if it were this water we would expect to see a blue tinge.
                    Jon

Comment

Ah, our problem is we use bio washing liquid and only a tiny amount in the holding tank - so the liquid doesn't really take on a colour tinge. I really do think Liz thought I was not being careful enough when using the loo!

Comment

We have a bit of water in the loo compartment of our Outlook from time to time. We have tracked it to over enthusiastic flushing, filling the flush tank too high so that it slops on corners or emptying the sink too quickly. Now whe know the causes we just mop it up if we have a little spill

Peter

Comment

Source discovered after forensic examination - (well we hope the source has been found).
                          2 possibilities
                          (1) Someone had screwed a plate for the table - the screws or the drill had gone through the outer skin - now fibreglassed using P40 Chopped fibreglass.
                          (2) We all know water does not run up hill - or does it Sandra unscrewed the vent covering the old fridge gas dropout (redundant because we have a compressor fridge) and low and behold. Water had run down the side of the van - horizontally along the underside of the overhang and then (possibly by wind force) up through the vent. Once again P40 otherwise known as "Bridge-a-gap" has been used - there is now No hole.

Any other damp will have to be from inside the van. Well fingers crossed.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                            Source discovered after forensic examination - (well we hope the source has been found).
                            2 possibilities
                            (1) Someone had screwed a plate for the table - the screws or the drill had gone through the outer skin - now fibreglassed using P40 Chopped fibreglass.
                            (2) We all know water does not run up hill - or does it Sandra unscrewed the vent covering the old fridge gas dropout (redundant because we have a compressor fridge) and low and behold. Water had run down the side of the van - horizontally along the underside of the overhang and then (possibly by wind force) up through the vent. Once again P40 otherwise known as "Bridge-a-gap" has been used - there is now No hole.

Any other damp will have to be from inside the van. Well fingers crossed.

Jon
                            Sounds like (2) on your list is the most likely explanation. I've had this myself when the wind is driving rain on that side of the caravan. And it can also happen when towing on a rainy day, from the spray from other vehicles.

Fingers crossed here for you!

Comment