C15 rustproofing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 rustproofing.

Those of you that follow know that I have just bought an immaculate 2005 C15 van, with a view to doing some a Romahome transplant in the future.

But it needs help now!

What rustproofing does the C15 have to begin with? Are the late ones undersealed? Galvanised?

I'd like to get under it and give it a firm dousing in some sort of protective coating like Waxoyl. But what's best?

Don't think they improved the rust treatment at all on the C15's .I have seen alot of quite newer one's in pretty bad condition rust wise.
    As vans I think they were expected to be thrashed around the clock a few times and then scrapped.
    Waxoyl is the best treatment I think because it stays as a wax coating and heals over any scratches or bits that flak off. It also kills the rust (or prevents further oxidation) rather than just covering it up such as underseal would.
    Get as much dirt , rust off as you can with a pressure washer and then let it dry and wire brush before spraying waxoyl.
    If doing on your drive put a big tarpaulin down and some sheets blankets cardboard to soak up what drips off.
    When doing wheel arches I remove a wheel at a time put on axel stand cover whole brake wheel hub assembly with a good quality plastic bag and tie it tight. You don't want waxoyl on your brakes, exhaust or paint work.
    Don't do what someone did on here and spray your neighbours caravan/ car they won't be amused.
    I once took my Rangerover for repairs to a garage that was spraying landrovers with waxoyl and they managed to get it all over windscreen only discovered a few miles down the road when it rain what a mess couldn't see had to stop and clean it off with spare windscreen wash I had took ages.
    Broadlands Liesure in Norfolk do transplants and seem the most reputable.

Comment

Originally posted by chris667 View Post
      Those of you that follow know that I have just bought an immaculate 2005 C15 van, with a view to doing some a Romahome transplant in the future.

But it needs help now!

What rustproofing does the C15 have to begin with? Are the late ones undersealed? Galvanised?

I'd like to get under it and give it a firm dousing in some sort of protective coating like Waxoyl. But what's best?
      Hi Chris,
      just wondered how you were getting on with your waxoyling / transplanting Romahome

Comment

It's not happening.

After having read about it, being told some absolute nonsense by a company that says they convert them, I decided it is a lot of trouble.

The Romahome is off the road for the winter. In the spring, I will put a year's MOT on it, and sell it. Someone will get another year or two from it.

Then, the C15 will become a stealth camper. I am going to waxoyl it, then possibly buy a roof tent.

Watch this space!

Comment

If I was waxoyling your van I would find someone who steamcleans trucks prior to testing and find out if they would be prepared to steam clean your van. It would dry off very quickly and would give a good surface. Dont forget to remove any plastic wheelarch liners first. Also check the condition of the engine sump for rust and treat it. A modern phenomenon with engines that do not leak oil is sumps that rust through as they are not very well protected from the elements. The sump on our 11 year old Berlingo is rusting quite badly inspite of various attempts to to prevent it. I now cover it in dirty engine oil every time I change the oil, this has resulted in at least one MOT advisory for an oil leak.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X