Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandwood
    replied
    Have discovered a slow water leak, which soaked the locker flooring on our first extended trip this year. It appeared to be from the pump (inlet side), and when I removed it, that nozzle snapped off. There were indications of a crack in it, probably caused by some trapped water that I had missed when draining down, just before our three months of subzero temperatures.

The question - what size of pump was fitted as original? The pump that failed is a Reich 15 litre/minute, but a friend commented that his much bigger van uses that size to power a shower! There is nothing in the documentation that I have which gives details.

That size of pump appears to be relatively expensive in local dealers compared with the lower capacity ones.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Sandwood; 06-06-2010, 11:10.

Leave a comment:

• peterholden
    replied
    That is right with the pump fitted to the C15 but our Outlook has a submersible pump and that "ran dry" when I drained the system. I have used this method before and not had a problem

Leave a comment:

• wheelmon
    replied
    Sorry to hear that, Peter.

Could it be explained by the non-return valve in the pump (see 4th paragraph in my last post).

It would appear that disconnecting the outlet pipe from the pump is the only way to be sure of emptying the tap - having opened the tap of course.

But would this still leave the pump full of water? The manual says disconnect both sides (ie. inlet and outlet).

It all seems a bit messy and could have been made so much easier if the pump designer had included a drain-plug!!

Perhaps an in-line drain-tap could be fitted to each of the pipes (inlet & outlet) as close as poss to the pump. Say with a short piece of flexible pipe attached to aid control of the draining water.... perhaps even leading to outside via a hole in the floor !!! help!! - my brain is running amok!!

Keith

Leave a comment:

• peterholden
    replied
    Drained the water on my Outlook left the tap in the open position but the spout has still frozen and split

Leave a comment:

• wheelmon
    replied
    Thankyou Sloeman, Alan, Derek, and Tony.

The part which split was the neck of the tap. The narrow opening must have frozen first thus preventing any expansion (I had not opened the tap, tut tut).

The bottom of the tank was little more than "wet" so pretty safe I would think. ....HOWEVER.... the pump was only wrapped in a blanket and could have been the centre of a disaster in view of the extremely low temps! It is a SHURflo diaphram pump (around £80 to replace - ). I found the operating manual: http://www.shurflo.com/files/RV-Inst...43%20_443_.pdf

The pump apparently has a non-return valve to prevent water flowing back into the tank so this will keep the outlet pipe (and tap) full of water, unless the pump is capable of pushing air up the pipe to purge it.

The manual says empty the pump by disconnecting the plumbing both sides (this would also empty the tap!). Catching the water would require a low-sided tray - a baking tray perhaps? and a steady hand lifting it out!!

That will be my next move, then when the weather picks up I may work on a drain tap under the back door - although that might not fully empty the pump !!?!!

Thanks again all

Keith

Leave a comment:

• alive23512
    replied
    Hello all.

I had a near disaster with the Duo water supply during the cold weather. I looked in the water tank before the frost arrived and saw what looked like a few millimeters of water. When it froze there was 5mm of ice and around 50mm of water below that when I checked it a few days later. I broke the ice and lifted most of it out and syphoned the remaining water off.

When the slightly warmer weather arrived I checked that the small amount of ice that I had left in the tank had melted, which it had, so I then tried the pump which worked fine, thank goodness.

With the mass of documents I received with the Duo are the SHURflo manuals which I have since read ready for next winter. It is quite a complicated matter looking after the pump and draining etc.

Keith, if you (or anyone else) does not have the SHURflo instructions (if that's the make of your pump) I can provide a copy. I could do with trying to put them on the forum manuals page.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• Derek
    replied
    Did you have the tap open when it froze? I never had this problem with my Hylo but after the first winter the joints on the pump leaked and needed tightening. I put that down to freezing and thawing. How about blowing the water from the tap when draining down? My Hylo had a diaphram pump, I don't think they run backwards.
    Last edited by Derek; 25-01-2010, 10:06.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    I have a Duo HyLo, much the same really. I have to park mine, nose pointing up hill, so that the water left in the bottom of the tank is deeper at the outfeed pipe. If you put your hand in the inspection cap of your tank, you should be able to feel it. I then run the pump, letting the tap splutter on the final dregs of water. I turn the pump off at the control panel, leaving the tap open, as this allows any water left in the tap room to expand, if it does freeze. You can then soak up any surplus water in the tank, there's always some, with a cloth or sponge.

Hope that helps, Alan.

Leave a comment:

• Sloeman
    replied
    I'm not sure of your layout but I'd park nose down on a steep hill, let the water drain back into the tank and use a jug and/or sponge to transfer the water to a bucket. Running the pump in reverse could help here, just switching the polarity should do this, not too long mind, they don't like running dry.

Leave a comment:

• wheelmon
    started a topic Draining Off The Water.

Draining Off The Water.

I know it's a bit late to bring this up now but perhaps not too late in view of the forecast of more frost.

During the last freeze the water in the sink tap on the Duo froze and split the tap. Not a big expense but certainly a big inconvenience.

There had only been a thin layer of water on the bottom of the tank so I'd just left things, apart from wrapping a woolly blanket round the pump. Silly me didn't give the tap a thought. (I know that should be "silly I" Graham but it just doesn't sound right ).

Has anyone any ideas regarding successfully draining the entire water system? The lowest point is the pipe below the back door. I had thought of somehow fitting a drain-tap there but it I think it would be more difficult than it looks.

Any suggestions would be welcome - (there's probably a tap somewhere that I haven't seem!!)

Keith

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
Working...
X