Leisure battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leisure battery

Hi, I am converting a Berlingo to a small camper and wondered whether anyone was using the rear 12v socket to charge a leisure battery? Questions I have, will the cable be able to carry a charging current without overheating, I intend to run a compressor fridge off the battery so drain of 4 amps is likely to be constant while I am driving and while I am parked there will be 4 amps drain on the leisure battery. The rear 12v socket is only on when the engine is running so there is already an isolating relay in circuit.

Isn't there the possibility that as soon as you turn the ignition on you would effectively put the leisure battery in parallel with the van battery while drawing 60 plus Amps to crank the engine? Split charge relays aren't particularly complicated to install.
    Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

I do have a idea how 12v electric works, but a split charger is not that hard. The hardest bit is finding someware to get the wire from engine compartment to the cab.
      Mine conect to battery terminal and fuse, wire into cab then fit the split relay, finnishing connect to the battery and earth.
      Hard bit is getting a smart charger type. I just went to a towbar fitter asked for one for Berlingo multispace, came back with 30 ah one, rear 12v socket only gives about 20 amp when the engine is on, and if off it drains the battery, if charging battery from rear 12v socket make shore you fuse it, although you only get a 20amp from the socket, more can go back from your second battery.
      Last edited by jtr rhyl; 08-10-2019, 14:53.

Comment

I avoid the Smart Charge type used by jtr rhyl
        Some of them are badly constructed and the little adjusting screw moves changing the switching voltages this can fail cause the leisure battery to fail.
        I use an ordinary 30 amp headlight relay - 4 pin the switching signal is taken from the sidelight circuit. This ensures that I drive with my lights on. Lights on = leisure battery connected to main bat : Lights off = leisure bat disconnected from main bat. If the relay fails odds are split charge bwill safely be open circuit.
        You can take the signal from the ignition light takeoff on the Altenator however the downside is this will cause the ignition light to glow dimly - which is annoying at night.
        Jon
        Last edited by kernowjon; 08-10-2019, 18:55.

Comment

You don't say which model of Berlingo but on the B9 version behind the panel on the passenger side of the boot is where the trailer plug connections are. There should be a thicker white wire that supplies the power to charge a caravan battery I think or to provide a live to the caravan. It is not live at the moment as it needs a maxi fuse fitting in an empty socket in the engine compartment fuse box. Did you know that on all Berlingos (and partners) there is a hidden bank of Madi fuses under the main fuse board,the second socket from the left is empty and requires a 40amp fuse to make the white wire live. This information came from a YouTube video on how to wire a Berlingo/Partner trailer socket.

I knew about the maxi fuses because we had one fail on a Sunday morning in France a couple of years ago. It prevented the engine from running but the very kind breakdown man showed me where they were. The handbook doesn't show them but does say that they should only be replaced by a dealer. Our fuse holder had corroded and needed cleaning, it is a PITA to get at.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for all the replies especially peterholden that is useful information. My Berlingo will be a 2019 model and hopefully has those fuses/wiring layout ie already has a split charging arrangement.

Comment