Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

240v

Good evening all,
    I have a free view flat screen TV 16" and a digital plug in aerial. My outlook 2003 only has one plug socket in the rear... now tell me if imp being stupid as I’m not great with electrics Can I put an extension lead with 2 plug sockets on and run TV and plug-in aerial off the socket. Obviously I’m only using with 240 hook up attached. If the answer is yes, does that mean if I’m attached to 240v plug in I can run numerous appliances off an extension lead?
    I apologies again, but I am a novice at these things... Alex

Originally posted by alex1968 View Post
    Good evening all,
    I have a free view flat screen TV 16" and a digital plug in aerial. My outlook 2003 only has one plug socket in the rear... now tell me if imp being stupid as I’m not great with electrics Can I put an extension lead with 2 plug sockets on and run TV and plug-in aerial off the socket. Obviously I’m only using with 240 hook up attached. If the answer is yes, does that mean if I’m attached to 240v plug in I can run numerous appliances off an extension lead?
    I apologies again, but I am a novice at these things... Alex
    The straight answer is "yes", as long as you do not exceed the capacity in Amps of the extension lead or EHU.
    The sensible answer is "no". Unless you want to have an accident with leads trailing all over a confined space! At the very least you could trip yourself up and injure yourself, or pull something expensive off its perch. At worst you could trip over the wires and snap a wire to electrocute yourself!
    It should not be very expensive to install extra sockets in suitable positions. MUCH safer!
    My opinion anyway.
    Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 15-08-2011, 21:46.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Thanks for your advice, point taken, Ill be very careful and arrange for aditional sockets to be fitted!

Comment

Jim is spot on.

We have 3 extra sockets fitted in our Outlook. One at the opposite end of the nearside locker to the one fitted as standard (just behind the passenger sear). One just below the control panel near the hob (we use this for the kettle when on EHU) and one in the offside locker so that we can have power on the outside well away from the gas compartment.

Peter

Comment

240v

I have one extra fitted on the side of the cupboard above the hob worktop.
          This is perfect for the Remoska and the kettle. In fact I rarely use the standard socket near the floor. I think a second socket should be fitted as part of the origional build.

Lizzie

Comment

I only had the one socket in my Roma and left it that way. I did think about changing the one socket for a double for that very reason though. As the lights ran on the 12v system, and the fridge was only a two way and running on gas, it was easier just to change the plugs for various appliances as I needed them (mostly only kettle, clippie light, tv, small oil filled radiator), at least I knew then that I wasn't going to overload and trip the switches!

I had two double sockets fitted into my caravan. One at kitchen end for the fridge on EHU and the kettle.

The one at the middle is used for the TV (one side of the socket) and the other carries a single extension behind the seats for a table lamp at the far end, and alternatively the smart charger for the leisure battery if I need to use it.

I've never used an amplifier for the TV. I either seem to get a good signal or no signal.

Comment

jayjay, Where I live we have no apparant signal, but with an aerial booster everything works fine. They can make a massive difference.
              Jim.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I have to agree with Jim here regarding the aerial booster, they make a big difference, couldn't be without it. :so happy:
                Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                'Live without regrets'

Comment

Thanks for all the feed back, I will proberbly stick with the one socket for now, See how i get on. I like the idea of an outside locker socket.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1968 View Post
                    Thanks for all the feed back, I will proberbly stick with the one socket for now, See how i get on. I like the idea of an outside locker socket.
                    I bought an extension lead,shortened the lead to the plug,and fixed the sockets to the below seat bin,by making two small holes and sticking two small screws in and all was well,a chum glued his sockets in the same position using No-Nails.
                    I now use an extension lead long enough to reach the awning when in use and I simply loosely coil the excess cable when in the van and use a velcro strap to hold all in place.yes I am a health and safety officer among other things and it is quite safe,I boil kettles,watch TV and drive my computer from the extension.
                    The combined total is less than the 13 amps rating of the extension fuse.

hope this helps,and its cheap.Also dont forget you have trip circuit breakers in the van which will trip if you overload,so you are quite safe,and the extension lead cable is thick and not snappable in normal use.

Ian
                    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 24-08-2011, 11:37.
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

isolation switch

Newbie so hope this is a good place to ask what to many of you will seem a silly question. Recently acquired a C15 based roma. Has one 230v socket, near the floor, a switch which is labelled 230v fridge and another swtich labelled isolation switch x7. What is this isolation switch for? I experimented with a fan heater while plugged in outside my house - the fan heater worked whether this switch was on or off. So what does it isolate?

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
                        Newbie so hope this is a good place to ask what to many of you will seem a silly question. Recently acquired a C15 based roma. Has one 230v socket, near the floor, a switch which is labelled 230v fridge and another swtich labelled isolation switch x7. What is this isolation switch for? I experimented with a fan heater while plugged in outside my house - the fan heater worked whether this switch was on or off. So what does it isolate?
                        The isolation switch marked X7 is for the 12v battery charger / power supply

Alf

Comment

tks for that but now another stupid (to you) question - when do I use it? ie if I am using 230 v via hookup should it be on or off? If I am using 12v via leisure battery should it be on or off?

I realise these qs must all be totally obvious to most forum readers - but have always been a tent camper and only had to deal with simple gas - the person who sold me campervan was not very good on the explanations and in the end I just said "is there a manual?" In fact there are several manuals but none are written for dummies - they are mostly installation manuals

(If I ever sell this romahome I will do step by step by step written instructions for absolutely everything)

Comment

Switch on when on EHU along with the switch on the black box to charge your leisure battery from the mains. Safest at all other times to make sure they are off (they wouldnt do anything if left on but in principle all electrical items should be switched off individually when not being used). Your leisure battery should be charged up by the vehicles normal charging system when travelling providing everything is working correctly.

Peter

Comment

Manuals

Originally posted by cedas View Post
                              tks for that but now another stupid (to you) question - when do I use it? ie if I am using 230 v via hookup should it be on or off? If I am using 12v via leisure battery should it be on or off?

I realise these qs must all be totally obvious to most forum readers - but have always been a tent camper and only had to deal with simple gas - the person who sold me campervan was not very good on the explanations and in the end I just said "is there a manual?" In fact there are several manuals but none are written for dummies - they are mostly installation manuals

(If I ever sell this romahome I will do step by step by step written instructions for absolutely everything)
                              Hi if you look at the bottom of this page there is a Download section and there is a full set of Manuals to download for the C15 roma
                              or you can look in the download section on the main website page

Alf
                              Last edited by alf39; 29-10-2011, 23:52.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X