Sticking plastic to fibreglass/GRP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all you helpful and knowledgeable peeps out there.

What's the best glue to use to stick a strip of plastic awning rail to the underside of my Freedom caravan (I think it's made of similar stuff to a Romahome) ?

It's to attach the awning skirt, I don't really want to go drilling holes in the van for screws - but then I don't want it falling off en route either.

Hi caz never trusted glue to hold on things like awning rails i used screws and caraflex on the awning rail i fixed to my c15 high top there are some good double sided tapes on the market but the area has to be very clean before applying.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, never thought of that - I've never had a number plate fall off yet, so will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
        Thanks, never thought of that - I've never had a number plate fall off yet, so will try that.
        If your number plate is held with double sided tape and you try hanging something on it, it probably will fall off before long.
        You are asking the tape to do a very different job supporting an awning rail and skirt. Particularly as I imagine it will be exposed to wet and weather. Don't forget on the underside the rail etc. will be HANGING from the tape. Not trying to slide off like a number plate.
        Horses for courses as they say!
        Jim.
        Last edited by Twolitre; 20-08-2011, 21:38.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

The awning rail in my pic came with double sided tape but i screwed it on as i did not trust it to stay there for long.

Comment

The stuff that comes with the rail is only designed to hold it in place while you screw it on, I think.

The stuff you get for number plates is a lot stronger, and plastic rail is lighter than the aluminium rail so shouldn't put so much strain on the sticky stuff. Am now thinking I will put the rail on the side rather than underneath, less downward pull! Just have to see how it goes.

Unless anyone can suggest another way of attaching the skirt?

Comment

We use suction cups to hold our wheelcover in place on the caravan, rather than stick or screw anything to it, used them for the first time this weekend and they held up well. I bought these
              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

sika flex 252
                http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/...kaflex-252.pdf

Comment

Thanks, will let you know what I decide to do in the end and how it goes.

Comment

Know someone who used double sided stick-on heavy duty velcro for this job, I don't know if that's any help!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X