• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is wind as good as solar power

anyone tried these looks ok
    rather than spend a lot having a solar panel fitted thought about this
    http://srx.uk.ebayrtm.com/clk?RtmClk...177982&pi=4340

Now that looks something like! Apparantly the small solar chargers do very little to charge anything... I often used to see the fan type wind chargers on the barges where I used to live beside the canal and they seemed to work well. Not sure how this one works, but it says effective in 8-10mph winds, so I think you'd have to check whether that's a gentle breeze or a gusty wind, not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mufcgaz View Post
      anyone tried these looks ok
      rather than spend a lot having a solar panel fitted thought about this
      http://srx.uk.ebayrtm.com/clk?RtmClk...177982&pi=4340
      Sounds good even if rather costly, but I would need a demonstration.
      I suffered a conventional wing generator in use on the unit next to me once. The whoosh, whoosh noise as the propellor turned was hideous and almost distressing.
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

This is known as a Savonius Rotor. The first generation of self sufficient hippies used to make them by cutting a 50 gallon drum in half and mounting it vertically on an old car dynamo.
        It works well if the wind blows.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
          This is known as a Savonius Rotor. The first generation of self sufficient hippies used to make them by cutting a 50 gallon drum in half and mounting it vertically on an old car dynamo.
          It works well if the wind blows.
          I reckon they copied them from the Castrol signs every garage displayed around that time. I'll bet they had never heard of a Savonious Rotor or its derivitives.
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
            I reckon they copied them from the Castrol signs every garage displayed around that time. I'll bet they had never heard of a Savonious Rotor or its derivitives.
            Jim.
            its the other way round Jim,the hippies in USA were often well educated and were ahead of us in many things.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

is wind as good as solar power

Hi mufcgaz, I haven't used a wind instrument, but I have an 80W solar panel fitted on the roof of my motorhome, glad to say it was on when I purchased the MO as the price with all the bits needed comes to €550.00 (Towsure) this runs my four berth medium sized motorhome where the power is used to run lights, water pump, television, lap top, and computer, I have been using this over the last twelve months with no problem to the leisure or van battery, both have been kept up to full charge all the time, I'm very pleased with it though rather expensive, I have been on CL's without EHU with no problems.
              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
              'Live without regrets'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X