security alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

security alarm

Well, I have had an all singing and dancing alarm fitted to my R20. The problem is that the infra-red sensors are fastened on either side of the door with velcro as the fitter and I were reluctant to have screws or whatever put into the plastic of the pod.

And guess who keeps knocking them off? and it doesn't help that one has to slam the back door to ensure it is fully closed - meaning I have also brought down the little box that is further up behind the door twice (the other bit giving security inside the van...Dead technical description, eh?)

Anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by NomadSue; 26-08-2011, 17:36. Reason: spelling!
    Carpe diem! :)

security alarm

I am not sure I can help about your alarm system but have some thoughts about the closing of your back door. When I bought my R20 I was told to push the door closed gently and then push the door in again to completly close it with the door seal. This prevents water ingress round the door and the gentle closure avoids damage to the locking mechanism.
    It might also prevent your alarm falling off!
    Lizzie

Comment

If you don't ever need to take them off again, you could always glue them into place with bostik contact adhesive or super glue.

You can get industrial strength velcro, which is a lot better than the ordinary stuff you can buy in the shops. Not sure where you get it from, but I know people have put their number plates on with it and they are still there, so that's proof that it's strong stuff.

Perhaps someone will be along later with any details of where to get hold of some.

Comment

Heavy Duty Velcro

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
        If you don't ever need to take them off again, you could always glue them into place with bostik contact adhesive or super glue.

You can get industrial strength velcro, which is a lot better than the ordinary stuff you can buy in the shops. Not sure where you get it from, but I know people have put their number plates on with it and they are still there, so that's proof that it's strong stuff.

Perhaps someone will be along later with any details of where to get hold of some.
        Heavy Duty Velcro is available from the bigger B & Q stores but its not cheap

Alf

Comment

Thanks for the advice, folks.

I will try that, using my special card that B&Q kindly gave me a couple of years ago.

It is only a matter of time before these things fall off and get lost. And, as there is no likelihood of my ever changing / upgrading the van, I guess a more permanent solution is essential. After all, if I am no longer fit enough to drive, then a decent alarm would be a good selling point.

And, Jayjay, I CAN now recognise the sound of MY alarm!!

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
            Thanks for the advice, folks.

And, Jayjay, I CAN now recognise the sound of MY alarm!!
            About time Sue we could all recognise it after the third wakeup call :so happy: Mos XXxx

Comment

Originally posted by MOS View Post

About time Sue we could all recognise it after the third wakeup call :so happy: Mos XXxx

If glueing it on, make sure you don't have to take it off to replace batteries etc!

Comment

Originally posted by MOS View Post

About time Sue we could all recognise it after the third wakeup call Mos XXxx

Ha ha. Well, at least I stopped it from going off after you lightweights went to bed at ten o'clock (YES, FOLKS, TEN O'CLOCK!!!) and I stayed up for lots more lovely music...then to wonder if I'd left the alarm on or off. Duh.

AND I was the oldest of our little bunch there! (But, fair do's. you were all far too kind to say so )

Comment

I just had an idea.

It's probably possible to fit a couple of fly spray cannisters to an alarm and solenoid system so that if anyone does get inside the whole interior would fill with gas. That should keep all the low lifes at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
                    Well, at least I stopped it from going off after you lightweights went to bed at ten o'clock (YES, FOLKS, TEN O'CLOCK!!!) and I stayed up for lots more lovely music...
                    Well, some of us needed out beauty sleep...

...and I need a lot!

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
                    I just had an idea.

It's probably possible to fit a couple of fly spray cannisters to an alarm and solenoid system so that if anyone does get inside the whole interior would fill with gas. That should keep all the low lifes at bay.
                    Unfortunately Sue's alarm did have this habit of going off unprompted, and we wouldn't want the same thing happening to the spray cans with her still inside the R20!

Mind you, it would have kept those pesky wasps away from her tea
                    Neil

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X