Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpened knives with a whet stone.

Sharpened knives with a whet stone.

I never seem to have much luck when i try. It seems to be a real art. Ive watched countless youtube vidoes but i never seem to get very far!

Any tips from anyone?

It is important to have the stone very wet, I leave mine to soak overnight. The other important thing is to have the blade almost horizontal to the stone. To coin a phrase, patience is a virgin ...
    Thanks MYKE
    Too old to know everything!

Comment

My 3 stones...the one on the left and the one on on the right have different surfaces on each side...the one in the middle is a Belgium Blue.....best stone for me...here with 4 of my favourite knives.....and, as JimBro rightly says, patience.....I could shave myself with those knifes...probably slitting my neck at the same time...:-(

https://www.ardennes-coticule.be/en

Serbian chefs knife on the left, Vietnames chefs knife top right, plus a Opinel and a Wuesthof underneath.....only one of them stainless steel....thats the one which is hardest to get really sharp....but it holds the edge slightly longer....
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 20-05-2020, 15:29.

Comment

I would suggest a cheap carbon Opinel for training purposes....it's all the knife one needs...and some...

https://www.opinel.com/en/tradition/...eel/n12-carbon

Comment

I've got two very expensive knives made in Japan using the same methods as they use to make Samurai swords. Heat the steel red hot and fold it over on itself. Hammer it flat. Repeat 100 times. You then get this patterned zebra-like marking on the knife. It will cut a single sheet of newspaper cleanly.
          I understand that professional chefs buy a set of knives on HP when they are training and keep them for their career. If anyone else touches them they are likely to find the knife stuck between their ribs.
          P1140166.JPGP1140165.JPG
          All streams flow to the sea, yet the sea is never full. Ecclesiastes Ch 1

Comment

I would like to sharpen the blades on my mower with a whet stone, which I have. All the videos say to take off the blades and put them in a vice. I'm not even going to attempt taking off the blades as I fear I may never be able to fix them back on again - and I don't have a vice either!

My MIL used to sharpen her long bread knife and carving knife on the back step of the house. Don't know how she did it, but believe me, they were sharp!

We used to have a DIY shop in the village which used to offer this service, but alas, it's gone now. It's yet another coffee shop.

Comment

Thanks all for the tips - im enboldened now to have another go!

Interesting i had looked an Opinel knives - might order one for my birthday.

May order a whetstone from them aswell.
              Last edited by llywelyn1984; 21-05-2020, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                I would like to sharpen the blades on my mower with a whet stone, which I have. All the videos say to take off the blades and put them in a vice. I'm not even going to attempt taking off the blades as I fear I may never be able to fix them back on again - and I don't have a vice either!

My MIL used to sharpen her long bread knife and carving knife on the back step of the house. Don't know how she did it, but believe me, they were sharp!

We used to have a DIY shop in the village which used to offer this service, but alas, it's gone now. It's yet another coffee shop.
                __________________________________________________ __________-

So did my lovely mother in law @jayjay.

IT wore a groove in the step and the knife blade was an odd shape too.

By golly, when she cut up her runner beans they were wafer thin

Comment

I sharpen all edges on a bench grinder, coarse or fine wheel according to need. By moving the bench grinder about one get long bladed shears into the workshop and sharpen them opened wide with the handle sticking out of the door. The best test of when to finish is when the edge catches your thumb as you gently rub it (across- not along!!!).

Paul.
                  Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

I sharpen my kitchen knives with a steel same process try and keep it almost horizontal and don't let the children play with it afterwards
                    I have a drill attachment for the lawnmower never occurred to me to use the grindstone, maybe next time. the lawnmower IS getting on a bit

kyran

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                      I've got two very expensive knives made in Japan using the same methods as they use to make Samurai swords. Heat the steel red hot and fold it over on itself. Hammer it flat. Repeat 100 times. You then get this patterned zebra-like marking on the knife. It will cut a single sheet of newspaper cleanly.
                      I understand that professional chefs buy a set of knives on HP when they are training and keep them for their career. If anyone else touches them they are likely to find the knife stuck between their ribs.
                      P1140166.JPGP1140165.JPG
                      Its very much boys and their toys.....that knife thing.....

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X