security for the rear door of an R20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

security for the rear door of an R20

We recently had an alarm system put onto our beautiful new R20. It works beautifully except for one thing:

The magnet that should be fastened onto the rear door (to partner the sensor velcroed onto the door frame) kept falling off, finally once too often, getting lost. Therefore, until it is fixed, there will be no extra security for the rear door.

The velcro method of fastening was used in preference to putting screws through the monocoque shell, and 'our man' has said he will replace it for us. BUT... the same thing is bound to happen again as it is hard not to brush against it when getting in / out of the van, especially when carrying big or heavy objects.

What do other people use for this area of security? We could have the magnet and partner sensor moved higher, I suppose... Any other suggestions?
    Carpe diem! :)

Glue it on with contact adhesive?

Comment

I wonder why he didn't do that in the first place. After all, the battery, if such there is, would be inside the main control unit i.e. the sensor on the main door frame.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
        We recently had an alarm system put onto our beautiful new R20. It works beautifully except for one thing:

The magnet that should be fastened onto the rear door (to partner the sensor velcroed onto the door frame) kept falling off, finally once too often, getting lost. Therefore, until it is fixed, there will be no extra security for the rear door.

The velcro method of fastening was used in preference to putting screws through the monocoque shell, and 'our man' has said he will replace it for us. BUT... the same thing is bound to happen again as it is hard not to brush against it when getting in / out of the van, especially when carrying big or heavy objects.

What do other people use for this area of security? We could have the magnet and partner sensor moved higher, I suppose... Any other suggestions?
        No-Nails Glue or Rapid Araldite,it wont drop off again.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I wonder why he didn't do that in the first place. After all, the battery, if such there is, would be inside the main control unit i.e. the sensor on the main door frame.

Ask the man to fit the alarm connection on the top of the door frame ( the opening side only ) and the magnetic contact on the door if the alarm is of a wired type there is only connections in the part on the frame and a magnet on the bit on the door. This will be more out of the way for catching and knocking off.
          The connection part on the frame has a glass phial under vacuum with a switch contact in it they are VERY fragile ask him to fit heavy duty ones as slamming the door does these no good.
          Alf

Comment

The connection part on the frame has a glass phial under vacuum with a switch contact in it they are VERY fragile ask him to fit heavy duty ones as slamming the door does these no good.
            Alf[/QUOTE]

Thanks - very useful advice and information here. Will do.

Comment

I have discovered a glue in my local Build Centre that comes in a tube and is applied like mastic. Its called "Sticks Like Sh*T"
              No Kidding this is what its called and this is how it is spelt.
              It does exactly what it say's on the tube. No mixing, No fuss. Great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                I have discovered a glue in my local Build Centre that comes in a tube and is applied like mastic. Its called "Sticks Like Sh*T"
                No Kidding this is what its called and this is how it is spelt.
                It does exactly what it say's on the tube. No mixing, No fuss. Great stuff.
                Classy stuff, then! Will get some on old fogies' day at B&Q - thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sticks-lik...FVFc4QodOl98NA

And here it is!!

I just had to Google a name like that it looks good stuff I will bear that in mind for future!!

Comment

Classy stuff, then! Will get some on old fogies' day at B&Q - thanks for the suggestion.
                    I guess that would be on an Army Blanket for the older one among us

Alf

Comment

I found it at my local Build Centre, and it states on the tube "trade only" so not sure where else you would get it accept at a builders merchants. !
                      Its not cheap at around £9 a tube but its good stuff. I have even used it to repair a crack in something by putting on thick and bridging the crack.

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
                        I guess that would be on an Army Blanket for the older one among us

Alf
                        Cheeeeky!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X