Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking battery acid

Hi everyone,

A week after returning from a lovely fortnight in the Lakes in my Roma (a 2005 Romahome Duo Hylo, 1.9 Berlingo), I opened the bonnet to check the oil etc. and found the top of the engine sopping wet . Liquid was also on the top of the battery and to my horror I saw that the plastic see-through inspection cover on top of the battery was missing. It was a new (1 month old) Alphaline sealed 68ah battery with one of those devices that shows the state of charge by looking through a small circular inspection window. There was still liquid over the plates but the inspection hole cover must have come off whilst driving spraying battery acid over my engine bay. I cleaned up with lots of rags, removed the battery and washed the engine and bay with water. I have since used a bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) solution mixed with water which I understand neutralizes the acid – if fizzes when it touches any of the spilt acid and the solution is then washed off. The soundproofing material under the bonnet was removed as that had soaked up some of the acid. I had already booked an annual service at Freeborn and at the service the mechanic checked the hoses, wires, pipes etc which seem to be OK. The alternator was also checked and is working correctly. I am taking the matter up with the battery supply company on the basis that it was a faulty battery and to meet the cost of the clean up, the replacement bonnet material and to replace the intake manifold air distributor (its plastic surface is scarred white from the acid and looks unsightly although I am assured its working OK and is only surface cosmetic damage). Other plastic parts seem to have withstood the acid better with only minor white blotching. The plastic coating of some of the wiring got wet but the acid doesn’t seem to have damaged the plastic, thank goodness.

I’m still having sleepless nights worrying about any spilt acid I may have missed in the clean up and what unseen damage it may be doing. From underneath (with the front raised on ramps) I’ve thoroughly washed the sub frame parts I can reach but am wondering if anyone knows of any further remedial treatment - would a steam clean of the engine and surrounding area be a good idea or is there some other spray on cleaner or treatment anyone knows about for cleaning up battery acid.

Sorry this post is so long but you can imagine my concern about the corrosiveness of the split acid and any advice would be most appreciated. Does the acid loose its corrosive strength after a few hours or days or any advice about the use of the bicarbonate of soda solution – I’ve tried to wash off all the solution but some may remain in crevasse I can’t reach and I don’t know if this matters. Has anyone heard of a battery blowing off its inspection cover before or the possible causes?

Thanks, Terry.

Can I also suggest that you have the underbonnet area steam cleaned and also the underside at the front as the acid will have dripped/run down and then make sure that the rustproofing is intact. I think that if it can be proved that the battery is faulty then the supplier should cover the cost. Remember that your contract is with the person you bought it from and not the manufacturer.

Comment

Faulty Battery

Terry I think your first port of call should be the company that supplied the battery not the manufacturer but I would call and see the local Trading Standards and seek and follow their advice I would think the dealer that services your van would advise on a clean up of the engine bay etc are you a member of the AA or RAC does your insurance company offer legal services or if not your household insurance don't go down the road by yourself seek professional advice and follow it.

Alf

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will go to the company that sold me the battery and also have a chat with the AA. (I'm a member).

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
        Working...
        X