Over-wintering batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over-wintering batteries

I hope to get lock-up to store Beethoven my C15D Hylo. Lock-up does not have mains electrics. How best to keep batteries in good nick?

Take her out for a spin once a month, or take the battery home and connect it to a charger....

I used to start mine up at least once every three weeks or thereabouts. Even if it was too horrible to go anywhere, I would let it tick over on the drive for 15-20 minutes. You will need to fill up with petrol if you use this method! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      Take her out for a spin once a month, or take the battery home and connect it to a charger....

I used to start mine up at least once every three weeks or thereabouts. Even if it was too horrible to go anywhere, I would let it tick over on the drive for 15-20 minutes. You will need to fill up with petrol if you use this method! LOL!
      Jayjay's advice seems the only method other than removing the batteries and taking and keeping them at them home for a periodic charge top up. Either way, to prevent sulphation and freezing if left with low charge they should be given a slow, topping off charge, about every month.
      If you choose to follow jayjay's method: be sure to make sure the engine is up to full running temperature before switching off to prevent acid corrosion damage to the engine. It is probably a good idea too, to disconnect one lead from (each?) battery to prevent discharge by damp conditions or any inbuilt items like clocks etc. while not in use.
      Jim.
      P.S. Incidentally, removing the battery from a vehicle in a lock-up is probably a very good theft deterrent too.
      Last edited by Twolitre; 24-10-2011, 20:21. Reason: P.S.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Thanks Guys. I like the idea of going for a wee run;at least until weather gets too bad then I can think of using a charger.

Comment

If there is a window or roof light it might be an idea to get a small solar powered charger.

I use one on the leisure battery in our demountable and one for the lawn tractor and these keep a trickle charge going in, even at fairly low light levels.

about £10 on e bay.

Comment

About the only tip I remember for battery storage between charges, is don't leave them standing on the floor in unheated premises. Freezing can 'strike upwards' and damage them. If you can't go for occasional drives, it would be best to store them at home, and charge regularly, or as suggested above, rig a solar charger.

Or you could sell them on eBay and buy brand new ones every season!

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by mary wales View Post
              Thanks Guys. I like the idea of going for a wee run;at least until weather gets too bad then I can think of using a charger.
              I used to take mine out at least once a month, and drive to a lovely spot not far away with a walk around a lake. Walk the dog, have a lovely cup of tea in comfort, then fill up with petrol if necessary on the way home. I never had any trouble with either the engine or the leisure battery, both charged pretty well on an 8- 10 mile run.

Comment

Don't forget that removing the battery, (although a very good anti theft method) will stop any alarm system working. My insurance policy states that I must have a Thatcham cat 1 alarm fitted although it doesn't say it has to be working.

Peter

Comment

It is a personal view but I have always felt that motorvehicles left to stand for too long without being driven do not fare well. Taking them out and driving them seems to the easiest way to stop things seizing up.

It is not just the battery leaving a car parked without movement does not do much for the tyres as well.... so then you have to jack the thing up... naaaaaaaaaaaaah.... drive it. And with electric hooks ups it could even be possible you would enjoy the odd night away.

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
                    It is a personal view but I have always felt that motorvehicles left to stand for too long without being driven do not fare well. Taking them out and driving them seems to the easiest way to stop things seizing up.

It is not just the battery leaving a car parked without movement does not do much for the tyres as well.... so then you have to jack the thing up... naaaaaaaaaaaaah.... drive it. And with electric hooks ups it could even be possible you would enjoy the odd night away.
                    Good advice Tentpeg.
                    But whether driven or just run the engine should be THOROUGHLY warm before switching off.
                    Fuel burns to form water. About a gallon of water for every gallon of fuel used. The fuel also contains Sulphur (not as much these days) and that burns to form SO2 and SO3. Mix that with the water and you have Sulphurous and Sulphuric Acid. Which if not evaporated fully by sufficient engine heat enormously above the boiling point of water, will sit inside the engine gradually eating it away. It can reduce engine life by many thousands of miles.
                    Lesson over!
                    Jim.
                    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Great explanation, Jim! I love to know why I should be doing something, not just that I should be doing it.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X