Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demountable Romahome Legs

Hi, Im new to the forum, though I've been looking for a while,

anyway Im currently restoring a romahome pod from a bedford rascal, and Im trying to find some of the jack/lifting legs
    I know this question comes up a bit on here and they are almost impossible to find but I hope with some help from you guys on here I can get a set made.

Ive just had the square brackets made for the legs to fit into so they should be with me next week.
    If possible if anyone has some pictures of the legs would you be able to post them here, and if possible some basic messurements.

I know this is alot to ask on my first post but if everything works out and I can get a set made, then I can post some pictures and messurments on here for everyone to use.

Regards, Daz

Hi Daz, and welcome. I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I have a Talbot Express. However, you won't have to wait long before someone [or two or three] comes along who can help. Members here are really friendly and only too eager to help others with their queries, as I'm sure you'll soon see.

Good luck with your restoration, we'll look forward to seeing your photos in due course.

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
      Hi Daz, and welcome. I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I have a Talbot Express. However, you won't have to wait long before someone [or two or three] comes along who can help. Members here are really friendly and only too eager to help others with their queries, as I'm sure you'll soon see.

Good luck with your restoration, we'll look forward to seeing your photos in due course.

Di.
      thanks di allen I hope someone can help its a simple request but only if someone has them we all know hare rare they are
      and yes I will get some pics up the romahome pod has is undergoing extensive restoration, ive just recently reboarded and carpeted the roof and sides what a pain to do but well worth it

Daz

Comment

Hi ,

I have a set of the legs and will take a few pictures for you and measurements too..

Could you take a couple pictures of the square mounting brackets for me as I do not have them on my pod and will be giving my base vehicle and pod a makeover over winter .. am quite excited about it all ..
        I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
        http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks minimouse that would be great.

And as for the brackets yes i sure will get a few picks together for you, they should be with me this week (just had them made) so once they land i will do that for you

Thanks again, Daz

Comment

i had a pair of legs made up for around £60

I need 3 pair's as I jack up a works pod that uses 4 and swap it for a camper pod which has 2 plus the rear steadies.

Comment

i had a pair of legs made up for around £60

I need 3 pair's as I jack up a works pod that uses 4 and swap it for a camper pod which has 2 plus the rear steadies.
              yer I have seen one or two of them luton type pods on the net but just cant get my hands on one there real handy.

Could you take a couple pictures of the square mounting brackets for me as I do not have them on my pod and will be giving my base vehicle and pod a makeover over winter .. am quite excited about it all ..
              the brackets have landed so will get a few pics taken and mesurements and post them here later tonight or tomorrow morning, they might not be 100% accurate as I only had two extremely rusty brackets to work with but think they are as good as

daz

Comment

I read somewhere that someone had modified a pair of Landrover type hi-lift jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                  I read somewhere that someone had modified a pair of Landrover type hi-lift jacks.
                  hi thanks for the reply, yes I read that on here but cant find any pictures, but would be nice if i could get some real legs made, plus when I do it will help everyone on here because I'll get some pictures and mesurements uploaded on here.

UPDATE, I've uploaded some pictures of the leg mount brackets for the demountable pod, they are in my albums feel free to have a look
                  Link below

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...php?albumid=54

Daz
                  Last edited by Daz; 08-11-2011, 14:09.

Comment

demountable legs ..

as promised I have taken some pictures for you.

also the measurements are ..

Height overall 25 inches, top slide piece is 20 inches, 1 &1/4in square
                    Internal upright is 1 inch square

Base is 5 inches square
                    Arm is 10 inches long mounted 2 inches from the top..

If you need any other measurements just shout
                    Attached Files
                    I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
                    http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

Thr pair i had made up are approx 6" longer and this helps a lot when dismounting, as the originals were almost on the upper limit. !

Comment

as promised I have taken some pictures for you.
                        thanks minimouse thats great hopefuly I can get some plans drew up and sent away to my fabricators who hopefuly can make me a pair will keep you all updated...

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                        Thr pair i had made up are approx 6" longer and this helps a lot when dismounting, as the originals were almost on the upper limit. !
                        so the ones you made are they made the same as in minimouse's pictures but 6" longer?
                        when you say the originals were on the upper limit is the because your pods are mounted to your Super-Carry (going by your avatar). if I am correct these are higher then the Bedford Rascal plus with the cab being higher the pods need to sit on a support of some sort, but please correct me if I am wrong.
                        just need to be sure because if im going to make some I mights well improve on the design if I can..

thanks for the replys

daz

Comment

I think the flat bed of the older Bedford Rascal / Suzuki Super Carry or Honda Hi-Jet were about the same height as my later Carry, but when you pull out from or reverse back under, unless you are on perfectly level ground the camper pod can sometimes bottom out.
                          I then had to get out and jack the legs up a bit to make clearance.
                          As i was having the legs fabricated, i asked the blacksmith to make them 6" longer. Now i just Jack them up so i know i am easily clear. :so happy:

To have the legs made I bought a length of 12mm threaded rod and eight 12mm nuts from the builders merchants.

He welded one nut to the top end on one of the legs inside bottom 1" box section. A second nut on to the end of a 12" peice of the threaded rod about 1 1/2" down from the end.

A third nut was drilled out to allow the 12mm rod to pass through, and this drilled nut was welded to the top of the 1 1/4" outside section.

The threaded rod was passed through the top box section and out through the drilled out nut. The fourth nut this was screwed onto the end of the rod and welded in place,

When the bottom 1" box section is inserted into the 1 1/4" outer top section the threaded rod meets the nut welded to the top of the lower section, the threaded rod is rotated to screw it in allowing the leg to lower and one section to pass inside the other.

When inserted into the jacking point on the camper pod the process is reversed and the two pieces of the leg slides apart raising the legs.

Hope this helps

Comment

Romahome Legs UPDATE

right, sorry for the delay Christmas is coming up so little time to spend on the Bedford Roma

I’ve got a quick drawing here if Minimouse would be so kind to confirm the measurements for me

a couple of questions around the measurements of the legs.

1, is it possible to remove the bottom part of the leg completely (winding it out) and measuring the total length.

2, what is the length of the diagonal supporting bar on the top part of the leg (that’s mounted 2" from top) to get this measurement please measure the outside top length of the bar

3, TO ADMIN or forum owner, once I do get these legs made I will have a final accrete diagram drawn up, and wanted to ask would you be able to put it up somewhere for others to download.

Thanks, Daz
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
                              3, TO ADMIN or forum owner, once I do get these legs made I will have a final accrete diagram drawn up, and wanted to ask would you be able to put it up somewhere for others to download.

Thanks, Daz
                              Hi Daz

We'd be delighted to put it on the main website downloads page here: http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/downloads.html our preferred format is pdf if you could do that.
                              Graham
                              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X