Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black bumpers that aren't !

Hi
    Our campervan Trinny Transit had black bumpers when new, over a period of a couple of years they have dulled and faded to grey! they didn't even have the decency to fade to the same tone of grey (different sections are different greys), i've tried the "Back to Black" products available and the bumpers looked great-for a couple of weeks, then they looked worse than before! where rainwater has run they have gone back to grey so giving a two tone effect. Does anyone know how to restore them to their former glory (permanently) ?

derek b and Babs
    derek b and Babs

The product which gets the best write ups on detailing world is Gtechnic C4

Pricey at £29 but they say it lasts for 1-2 years

Hope this helps

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...trim-restorer/

Comment

I used peanut butter on mine! Yes you did read that right and that lasted for a few years! A lot of elbow grease though.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
        I used peanut butter on mine! Yes you did read that right and that lasted for a few years! A lot of elbow grease though.
        Smooth or crunchy??
        Mary

Comment

Derek

Since we have had our R25(18 months), I have been using this on my tyres and bumpers

http://www.idealworld.tv/Greased_Lig...aspx?fh_locati on=//idealworld/en_GB/$s=tyre

Think it is water based as after persistent rain it can streak a little, but polishes up again using Showroom Shine.

http://reviews.idealworld.tv/7724-en...28/reviews.htm

which we use for polishing the van.

The bumpers are certainly still in pristine black condition.
          The secret is to use it very sparingly.
          No I am not a salesman for Ideal World!

Tony Anchorman
          Last edited by anchorman; 01-12-2011, 15:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
            Smooth or crunchy??
            smooth! It was a really old 'D' reg van though, the black bumpers were really grey, so I thought it wouldn't do any harm trying! I got the tip from another forum, tons of ppl had used peanut butter with good results. There must be something in the oil of peanuts that penetrates into the plastic! The bumpers were still looking good when I sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              smooth! It was a really old 'D' reg van though, the black bumpers were really grey, so I thought it wouldn't do any harm trying! I got the tip from another forum, tons of ppl had used peanut butter with good results. There must be something in the oil of peanuts that penetrates into the plastic! The bumpers were still looking good when I sold it.
              I'm intrigued by this idea and may give it a go, are there any downsides jayjay-you didn't have small children licking your bumpers or anything like that did you?!!!!
              derek b
              derek b and Babs

Comment

No downsides as far as I could see! Rub it on and in with a cloth, wait a few moments, then polish it off. I did a bit at a time, but I was really pleased with the results.

Comment

a cheaper way to get them back to black is using a heat gun (not a hair dryer) and slowly heat the bumper up it will take time but if you keep at it, it will melt the top layer just enough to make them go black again.
                  it will seem like nothing is happening to start with but then all of a sudden thy will go black once this happen move to a different place
                  there is a nack to this so dont be tempted to just keep it going in one place otherwise you WILL melt the bumper.
                  (car valeters top tip for getting all black plastics back to black)

check out youtube for how to videos if your not sure give it a try if not buy some plastic bumper spray and re spray them black (there is propper spray for plastic bumpers)

Daz

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X