How MY Zig Charger works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AliceK View Post
    Right - next up on the agenda is filling up the LPG tank on my van! The previous owner had one installed and I think it's about 60 litres... I've looked up a garage near where I live that sells this type of gas and I've found a few YouTube videos on how to fill it - looks a lot like filling up with any other fuel where it cuts off once the tank is full. Thing is anyone know how you engage the fuel? There's a switch/gauge (photos attached here) in the van that looks like you just have to switch it to the gas and that's you! I'm hoping it's that simple!

Anyone know otherwise?
    πŸ€—πŸ˜πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€©πŸ€—

I'm still waiting on info from the 'contact us' message centre on how to start a new post on this site, so I'm having to just post a reply here! It's so odd, as I've managed to start 2 specific posts and I can't see how I did it! Oh well!
    Yes it is that simple. You must startup on petrol and once running and engine warm switch over to gas. It is a goood idea to switch back to petrol before switching off so the fuel system is ready primed.
    Jon
    Fast becoming a GOG (Grumpy Old Git:joker:)

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

Yes it is that simple. You must startup on petrol and once running and engine warm switch over to gas. It is a goood idea to switch back to petrol before switching off so the fuel system is ready primed.
      Jon
      THANK YOU, Jon,
      FINALLY heheheheh... one thing that's not intimidatingly complicated!!! I really appreciate your response!πŸ€—πŸ˜πŸ€©

(GOG - 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣 - I hear ya! I'm considering 'git' in this 21st century to be unisex term!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post

Hi Alice

The contact us form for this forum comes to me and Pauline but we haven't had one from you so I'm not sure how that's happened, however if you go to this post on the forum Pauline has created a "how to" post to explain starting a new thread.

https://community.smallmotorhome.co....w-thread-topic
        Thanks, so much, Graham - also something odd happens when I go to the Notifications bit and try going into/opening up each one in turn. The thing is when I go into, say, the top message and go back to the Notifications Centre, the messages below the one I've just looked at seem to have vanished... I'm wondering if it's because the responses are all on the same post though... never mind - I've stubbled upon this message - phew! Thanks so much, I'll check out that link, most appreciated!!!πŸ€—πŸ€©

Comment

My advice will be, since you have got a EHU - 3-pin mains adaptor, see if you can hook the van up to the house electric and then go test one of the mains 3-pin sockets in the van, stick in a light or something that you can easily tell it is working. This will prove the EHU is OK - there are mains breakers in the van just like in your house fuse box and also an isolation switch. Normally these are just left on and everything should work. Then play with the 12v system, check all the lights and water pump. If your aux is a 12v cigarette lighter socket test that, a car tyre inflator, SatNav or anything that plugs into your cars' cigarette lighter socket normally, will do. We have a 12v cigarette lighter to 3 USB socket adaptor permanently living in ours so we can use the leisure battery to charge phones etc.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Brian,
          I can hook up the van to the house electrics, (and as you know, it didn't seem to be charging) but how do I "test one of the mains 3 pin sockets IN (or 'of') the van"...really sorry, I'm a bit befuddled..πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ™„πŸ˜§....ie how do I get the 3 pin end to connect with, say, a light or any appliance to see if it works - I'm thinking I'll need some kind of adaptor, like for the other end of the cable that's connected to the house mains?... I'm trying to picture this in my head...because, the point is, I'm trying to make sure the cable is channelling the electrics from the house.. correct? Apologies, if I've got it all wrong, it's honestly me and not you when it comes to any confusion I exhibit! I test the patience of a plethora of saints... frequently. I do appreciate your help!πŸ€—

Comment

Originally posted by AliceK View Post

My advice will be, since you have got a EHU - 3-pin mains adaptor, see if you can hook the van up to the house electric and then go test one of the mains 3-pin sockets in the van, stick in a light or something that you can easily tell it is working. This will prove the EHU is OK - there are mains breakers in the van just like in your house fuse box and also an isolation switch. Normally these are just left on and everything should work. Then play with the 12v system, check all the lights and water pump. If your aux is a 12v cigarette lighter socket test that, a car tyre inflator, SatNav or anything that plugs into your cars' cigarette lighter socket normally, will do. We have a 12v cigarette lighter to 3 USB socket adaptor permanently living in ours so we can use the leisure battery to charge phones etc.
            Hi Brian,
            I can hook up the van to the house electrics, (and as you know, it didn't seem to be charging) but how do I "test one of the mains 3 pin sockets IN (or 'of') the van"...really sorry, I'm a bit befuddled..πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ™„πŸ˜§....ie how do I get the 3 pin end to connect with, say, a light or any appliance to see if it works - I'm thinking I'll need some kind of adaptor, like for the other end of the cable that's connected to the house mains?... I'm trying to picture this in my head...because, the point is, I'm trying to make sure the cable is channelling the electrics from the house.. correct? Apologies, if I've got it all wrong, it's honestly me and not you when it comes to any confusion I exhibit! I test the patience of a plethora of saints... frequently. I do appreciate your help!πŸ€—
            Brian gave you a clue with the bit I have emboldened... If you haven't got a bedside lamp, use a kettle or a toaster...
            Too old to know everything!

Comment

AliceK Now its me that is confused (doesn't take much). If you use that little adapter thingy on your EHU cable - the adapter connects to a normal mains socket in the house and t'other round plug connects to the van's electrics. Right that's obvious. In my van I have a 230v socket, 3 pin jobbie, looking just like the one in my house. So to test it I simply set hook-up working then nip into the house and get something that I can tell when it is working - a light, radio or whatever and bring it into the van, plug it into the van socket and if I get Radio 1 or a bright light then I know I'm in business.

I assume your van has a regular 3 pin 13A amp socket (or more than one) somewhere in the van, so on EHU you just use them like regular house sockets. Be careful not to stick stocking great heaters on them and I wouldn't recommend a big domestic 3kW kettle because there are breakers in the van (just like your house breaker/fuses) that will trip if you overload the circuit which is a bit less than household circuits.

I carry one of these in the van https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winner-Main.../dp/B002QW3SL8 (yeah, I know it's unavailable but the others on that page are similar - my one was cheaper!) - it is small and a very quick way to confirm whether or not the EHU socket is working. If it lights up I'm in business, if it doesn't I know I have to go check things. My breakers are in an underseat locker and one trip I was packing stuff and accidentally knocked them, so basically switching EHU off. Much head-scratching before we could have a cuppa (they just simply needed flipping back up (or was it down?) again)

Comment

Brian: "If you use that little adapter thingy on your EHU cable - the adapter connects to a normal mains socket in the house and the other round plug connects to the van's electrics. Right that's obvious."
                πŸ€—Alice: GOT IT - I understand that bit... then,

Brian: "So to test it I simply set hook-up [Alice: GOT IT😁]...... then nip into the house and get something that I can tell when it is working - a light, radio or whatever and bring it into the van, plug it into the van socket and if I get Radio 1 or a bright light then I know I'm in business."
                Alice: So that's to test the cable by-passing the leisure battery!? Audible eye-roll, GOT IT - doh!

Brian: "I assume your van has a regular 3 pin 13A amp socket (or more than one) somewhere in the van"
                Alice: Yes, lots of sockets.. and one of them says 240V.....yikes.

Brian: "so on EHU you just use them like regular house sockets. Be careful not to stick stocking [Alice:?!?] great heaters on them and I wouldn't recommend a big domestic 3kW kettle because there are breakers in the van (just like your house breaker/fuses) that will trip if you overload the circuit which is a bit less than household circuits."
                Alice: GOT IT!! hehe - did that with a tumble drier before - it's plug overloaded the circuit etc.

I carry one of these in the van https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winner-Main.../dp/B002QW3SL8 (yeah, I know it's unavailable but the others on that page are similar - my one was cheaper!) - it is small and a very quick way to confirm whether or not the EHU socket is working. If it lights up I'm in business, if it doesn't I know I have to go check things. My breakers are in an underseat locker and one trip I was packing stuff and accidentally knocked them, so basically switching EHU off. Much head-scratching before we could have a cuppa (they just simply needed flipping back up (or was it down?) again) [/QUOTE]

Alice: Oh good grief!!! You were without tea!!!??? Head-scratching in danger of hair loss in my case!!! Saints preserve us!!! Inadvertent, unobserved errors are a nightmare! I hear you!
                Thanks again Brian, that gadget would be very handy... I have a feeling the leisure battery might be knackered but I'll check all these avenues!πŸ€—πŸ€©

Comment

Just to be clear, Alice. Your leisure battery should run the little 12v lights, the fridge whilest on the road with the engine running, and the 12v water pump. Some 12v systems power other things, especially in the larger motorhomes, but basically, if your 12v lights work and your water pump works, then your leisure battery is ok.

The EHU lead powers the electric three pin sockets. And usually the fridge when on EHU - it will probably have a plug in or wire in to the EHU system and you just have to turn it to EHU and it should just get cold. I used to plug a table lamp into a socket when on EHU and found that was enough light without turning on the 12v lights.

They are two separate systems and not interchangeable. For example, the three pin plugs won't work without an EHU plugged in and switched on. The 12v water pump won't work on EHU without the leisure battery turned on.

Gas - can power the fridge if it's a three-way and no EHU. It's also piped to the cooker. There are usually stop taps to turn on and off (usually inside the sink or cupboard next to the cooker/fridge) which turn on and off. If they are turned off, the cooker won't light and there will be no gas to the fridge. This is in addition to the gas tap fitted where the gas bottle is.

Hope this helps!

Comment

AliceK - your EHU working is independent of your leisure battery so my recommendation would be to check that out and make sure you have 230v into the van. Next would be to try and find the charger for your leisure battery (probably a Zig brand) which ought be somewhere not too far from the battery. You can then check if that has a red LED on it meaning it is working. It won't be working if your EHU isn't working, so that's why it is a good thing to check EHU works first. If EHU is working and there is no light on the charger then check that it isn't switched off (there should be an on/off switch on it). If it is on and has a red light and the leisure battery doesn't appear to be charging then the leisure battery could well be knackered. If it is on and no red light then there is either a fault somewhere else in the van's electrics (the charger may be on a separate breaker that has tripped either through a fault or by been accidentally knocked) or the charger may be dead - mine died on me last year and needed replacing - mind you it had been running a lot for 10 years!

One other thing, if EHU isn't working check both breakers and look round if you can see a standard household on/off switch (like a light switch) hidden in the van. My van has a single normal home on/off switch which isolates (i.e. turns off) EHU completely.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                      AliceK - your EHU working is independent of your leisure battery so my recommendation would be to check that out and make sure you have 230v into the van. Next would be to try and find the charger for your leisure battery (probably a Zig brand) which ought be somewhere not too far from the battery. You can then check if that has a red LED on it meaning it is working. It won't be working if your EHU isn't working, so that's why it is a good thing to check EHU works first. If EHU is working and there is no light on the charger then check that it isn't switched off (there should be an on/off switch on it). If it is on and has a red light and the leisure battery doesn't appear to be charging then the leisure battery could well be knackered. If it is on and no red light then there is either a fault somewhere else in the van's electrics (the charger may be on a separate breaker that has tripped either through a fault or by been accidentally knocked) or the charger may be dead - mine died on me last year and needed replacing - mind you it had been running a lot for 10 years!

One other thing, if EHU isn't working check both breakers and look round if you can see a standard household on/off switch (like a light switch) hidden in the van. My van has a single normal home on/off switch which isolates (i.e. turns off) EHU completely.
                      Right oh - oh by the way, before I forget to say, you're doing fine in trying to help me understand all this Brian, you're talking to someone who wouldn't even know how to wire a socket!
                      Right- so, I'm pretty sure that the following isn't right, that A) when the Electric Hook Up is engaged (plugged in at external van socket, cable running into house, and plugged into mains) that it's not supplying electricity to the leisure battery? - apologies!!! OR - B) did you mean that when the EHU is engaged you can run the vans electrics (the camper part of course, lights, heating, pump etc) independent of the leisure battery? Honestly, you will experience with me a new definition of the term 'spelling things out'. I'm hoping that you're able to just answer A or B to save you having to spend your good time explaining to an ignoramus!!

I WILL check that I have a 230v running into the van - ie. test it with an appliance of some sort.
                      I WILL try and find the charger for the leisure battery..... to be honest, I thought it was somehow associated with or was, the (Zig) panel on the wall that I photographed - obviously the panel being the thing that shows which battery is engaged and for what things i.e pump and lights. When the switch is switched down the way to 'aux' the light is red. When switched to the middle it's off, and when switched up to 'car' it's a nice green colour. From this I figured the charger was working......?

Hopefully the leisure battery and the charger aren't knackered.... was it expensive to replace the charger...panel and all? I do hope not!!!!! 10 years is a good innings!!!

I have located the breakers and I think.... that's all good, nothing tripped etc.

Again, thanks so much Brian The Saint Snail!!!πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€©

Comment

If you have lights on the Zig controller then it's working. The EHU supplies electricity from the mains to the charger.

Irrespective of EHU being plugged in, your water pump with only work on 12v from the battery, I think. If your little 12v lights are working (usually strip lights, or spotlights) then your leisure battery is working. If the 12v lights are flickering or dim... the l. battery needs charging. If you have a split charger it will charge while you are driving from the main battery, and should charge on site from the EHU. You just need to switch from car to van depending on whether you are on site and parked up, or on the road driving.

Don't worry, we'll get you there! It all becomes clearer when you use it, so.....

I suggest you go out for a run in your van. Switch the zig to car, get in and go...... park up. Switch off the engine.
                        Switch the Zig to van. See if the 12v lights work. OK... that's your leisure battery working. Don't run the 12v water pump with no water in the tank/water carrier.

EHU, (at home or on a site) plug the ehu, plug in a lamp, see if the plugs work. Switch fridge to Electric and wait 15 mins/ half an hour for it to get cold. Mine had a little ice bar, which started icing up straight away. Some have a proper ice box... If it does start to get colder, it's working.

Comment

When EHU is working it does NOT supply power to the van lights, pump etc, they all work off the leisure battery. It does supply power to the 230v sockets in the van and, most importantly to the leisure battery charger.

Right, we're making progress. The green light shows your vehicle battery is well charged and the red light shows your leisure battery needs charging. This does not mean the leisure battery is knackered, just that it needs charging.

There are 3 ways to charge your leisure battery.

Simplest - stick the van on EHU. Assuming the charger hasn't been switched off then it should simply start charging automatically. No guarantee but if you put the van on EHU and then check those lights immediately you might find the red light is now green - because the charger is sticking some volts into the leisure battery (the light system might not work like this but probably does). If you don't leave EHU on for long but switch it off and check again the light might be back red again because whilst it has charged the battery a bit it hasn't charged it enough. So, easy answer - stick it back on EHU and leave if for several hours. If EHU is working OK (i.e. the 230v sockets are working) then the charger ought be working unless it has been switched off. Which is why I suggested finding the charger and checking if it has a red light on.

If EHU is working and the charger is switched on and you've left if fr say 6 hours and you still don't have a green light then it could be the leisure battery needs replacing.

Next way to charge the leisure battery is simply to take the van for a long run, the van's alternator will charge the van battery and then when that is fully charged, for most vans it will switch it's charging to the leisure battery.

Final way to charge the leisure battery is to disconnect it at the van and use a standard car battery charger on it.

Since you need to check out EHU anyway I'd give that a go first - stick it on, leave it for a couple of hours or so, then switch off and hopefully that annoying red light will be a soothing shade of green.

Once you have got all this sorted out it is easy - taking the van for a run or sticking it on EHU should keep your leisure battery charged up. You leisure battery powers your van lights, pump and aux sockets. The fridge and normal 13A 3-pin sockets are all run of 230v which will only be active when the van is on EHU.

Is this slowly starting to make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                            If you have lights on the Zig controller then it's working. The EHU supplies electricity from the mains to the charger.

Irrespective of EHU being plugged in, your water pump with only work on 12v from the battery, I think. If your little 12v lights are working (usually strip lights, or spotlights) then your leisure battery is working. If the 12v lights are flickering or dim... the l. battery needs charging. If you have a split charger it will charge while you are driving from the main battery, and should charge on site from the EHU. You just need to switch from car to van depending on whether you are on site and parked up, or on the road driving.

Don't worry, we'll get you there! It all becomes clearer when you use it, so.....

I suggest you go out for a run in your van. Switch the zig to car, get in and go...... park up. Switch off the engine.
                            Switch the Zig to van. See if the 12v lights work. OK... that's your leisure battery working. Don't run the 12v water pump with no water in the tank/water carrier.

EHU, (at home or on a site) plug the ehu, plug in a lamp, see if the plugs work. Switch fridge to Electric and wait 15 mins/ half an hour for it to get cold. Mine had a little ice bar, which started icing up straight away. Some have a proper ice box... If it does start to get colder, it's working.

Thanks so SO much, it's been a rather hair-raising time, as this was a decision of gargantuan proportions - part of my bucket list.... so all your support is absolutely phenomenal..... THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!πŸ€—πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ˜πŸ€—

Ooooh.. will the trickle from the car/van main battery to the leisure battery only charge when the switch on the Zig is switched to 'car'? I was under the impression the trickle happened regardless of switches on the Zig charger panel..... oh fiddlesticks!?

re van for a run - probably will do, we're taking her out to get LPG in a little while!! Eeeeeeeek!🀣😲🀣

re running water pump - check!

Just now the lights in the camper are really dim and the indicator light when switched to the leisure battery (aux) is a dim red. We've done an EHU to the house over night but no charge, going to test cable electric current to van to see if that's at fault, because if that's ok then it's something to do with the leisure battery... or charger (Zig electrics)? I think!

Thank you so very very much again, oozes gratitude!!πŸ€£πŸ€—πŸ€£πŸ€—

Comment

If you've had it on EHU overnight and the leisure battery hasn't charged then either

a) EHU isn't working - easy test the 13A socket in the van
                              b) The leisure battery charger isn't working. You'll have to find and identify it and check it is switched on and has a red light. If it doesn't have a red light it is either switched off on the charger itself or somewhere else in the electrics. If you are sure it is switched on and doesn't have a red light it may be faulty. If it does have a red light indicating it is switched on, leave it a few hours, if the battery doesn't charge it could be a dead battery.
                              c) The leisure battery is dead - to check for sure pop it out and stick it on a normal car battery charger.

A multimeter is really useful for checking things - the working battery charger will be putting out just over 14v DC. A decent charged leisure battery should be between 12.5-13.5v and much less than 12v means it really is quite flat and needs charging asap. It is also handy for checking fuses, something might have blown in the charging circuit.

The key thing is NOT to spend ANY money until you are certain something is definitely dead. That money could be used for a few nice bottles of wine or dinner out or something much nicer than a new battery or charger.

If you take the van out for a run, it probably needs to be a longish one to get a decent amount of charge in the leisure battery, look at your internal lights after. If they are brighter, or even if the holy grail, the red control panel light is now green - you know your leisure battery is charging so the fault is in the charger circuit (hopefully it simply has been switched off)

The Zig switch to car/leisure has NOTHING to do with charging - it is only a simply selector switch as to which of the two batteries will light your van lights, drive the water pump. I almost wonder why the manufacturers bother - it makes little sense selecting car and driving your van lights off the main van battery as you run the risk of flattening it and not being able to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                                When EHU is working it does NOT supply power to the van lights, pump etc, they all work off the leisure battery. It does supply power to the 230v sockets in the van and, most importantly to the leisure battery charger.

Right, we're making progress.
                                Alice: YESSS!!!πŸ™
                                The green light shows your vehicle battery is well charged and the red light shows your leisure battery needs charging. This does not mean the leisure battery is knackered, just that it needs charging.
                                Alice: AGREEDπŸ‘

Brian cont: There are 3 ways to charge your leisure battery.

Simplest - stick the van on EHU. Assuming the charger hasn't been switched off -
                                Alice: So the switch has to be set to the leisure battery, not in the centre off position - which I'm assuming is the 'off' position or ?

Brian cont:..... So, easy answer - stick it back on EHU and leave if for several hours. If EHU is working OK (i.e. the 230v sockets are working) then the charger ought be working unless it has been switched off. Which is why I suggested finding the charger and checking if it has a red light on.

Alice: Indeed! It's 'finding the charger' bit that I'm not getting...I'm really sorry...(I'd send you a drink if I could!!) I thought the Zig panel was the charger indicator panel..so, are you saying the charger itself is somewhere else in the vehicle and could be switched off? With a separate red light......Sorry!πŸ™„πŸ˜₯

Brian cont: If EHU is working and the charger is switched on and you've left if fr say 6 hours and you still don't have a green light then it could be the leisure battery needs replacing.

Next way to charge the leisure battery is simply to take the van for a long run, the van's alternator will charge the van battery and then when that is fully charged, for most vans it will switch it's charging to the leisure battery.
                                Alice: YES!!! I understand that bit!!!!!!πŸ€—

Final way to charge the leisure battery is to disconnect it at the van and use a standard car battery charger on it.
                                Alice: yikes, indeed, understood!!!! Hoping they're not expensive..πŸ™„πŸ˜Ÿ

Since you need to check out EHU anyway I'd give that a go first - stick it on, leave it for a couple of hours or so, then switch off and hopefully that annoying red light will be a soothing shade of green.
                                Alice: πŸ™πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘: WILL DO!!!

Once you have got all this sorted out it is easy - taking the van for a run or sticking it on EHU should keep your leisure battery charged up. You leisure battery powers your van lights, pump and aux sockets. The fridge and normal 13A 3-pin sockets are all run of 230v which will only be active when the van is on EHU.

Is this slowly starting to make sense?
                                - Alice: Slowly but surely, snail-likev-apt!!! Believe me, when I get all this, I'll be an encyclopaedia of knowledge!! Thanks to you!!!
                                I'm so sorry I'm so very slow!!! Feel free to take a break to recover! I do appreciate all this help!πŸ™πŸ€—

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X