Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 cam belt

Hello all

I'm using my new C15 now, and I have to say all is good.

I loved my little Romahome, but this one is so much easier and nicer to drive. It goes like stink too!

But here's a question. It's done 20,500 miles, but it's six years old. Should I replace the cambelt?

Originally posted by chris667 View Post
    Hello all

I'm using my new C15 now, and I have to say all is good.

I loved my little Romahome, but this one is so much easier and nicer to drive. It goes like stink too!

But here's a question. It's done 20,500 miles, but it's six years old. Should I replace the cambelt?
    I think the recommended interval is 50,000 years or 5 years, I would say get it changed to be on the safe side, if it goes it is a very expensive business.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I think cambelt change recommendations are based on an expectation of rather higher annual mileage than you have. No consideration seems to be given for age, but considering the potential costs involved in belt failure, early replacement is nothing but a good idea.
      A fleet of Cortinas we had seldom reached the recommended change mileage before failing, but fortunately that engine was never damaged by a failure and only needed the belt replacing. Obviously we learnt to change them early even so, because a broken down car with our company name in large letters on the side was not a good advert.
      A practice I still follow whatever the vehicle.
      It seems that many manufacturers are now returning to timing chains! Is there a moral here?
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Nissans have always had timing chains rather than belts. Mine rattles a bit, but have been told it's ok!

Yep, cheange the belt, then that's one thing less to worry about!

Comment

I would change it on age grounds, if you are practical it is a job you can do yourself with no special tools. If you need more information just ask. One thing though your engine is not covered in the Haynes C15 manual, it is in the Berlingo version.

Peter

Comment

A word of caution!

If you make it a DIY job, be sure that you understand the ABSOLUTE NEED for correct timing fitment. Just one tooth out may wreck your engine!!!
            ALWAYS turn the engine by hand for over one full revolution in the correct direction of rotation of the crankshaft (TWO camshaft turns) to check that nothing jams BEFORE you try to start it.
            Jim.
            Last edited by Twolitre; 24-12-2011, 16:41.
            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Fortunately with this engine if you use the correct size dowels (I use twist drills) the camshaft, crankshaft and injector pump are locked in place before you remove the old belt and as long as there is no slack on the belt on the side opposite the adjuster everything should be fine. It is what is known as an interference engine (valves can hit pistons if the timing is wrong) and so you should turn it over by hand for several revolutions to check. If you turn it over 2 or 3 times and then line up the timing marks you should be able to check by trying the dowels again. I turn the engine by putting a spanner on the crankshaft pulley nut. I hope that this is of some help.

Peter

Comment

I've just bought a 6 year old Romahome with just 18,500 on the clock. The unanimous advice here was to change the cambelt and, as I know little of the van's history, ie whether it's made lots of short journeys or just one long trip per year, I took this advice.

I spoke to some garages and they say they don't tend to see too many damaged cambelts but, although Citroen recommend changing at 10 years for the Berlingo, the garages advise 8 years after which they have seen signs of perished rubber.

I examined the removed cambelt and there was no visible wear or damage. However, I'm glad I did so for peace of mind.

Comment

Ah well, that is the route I shall take.

My C15 and I will have a long and happy relationship. Let's not let a bit of rubber ruin things.

And as for DIY, I think on reflection I shall get my friend who owns a garage to do it. I haven't the tools, and I don't need them enough to buy them.

Hope you have a lovely Christmas, guys.

Comment

Karen

For the 1.9 diesel it is 6yrs or 60000 miles, our Romahome has done 50000 and will be 5 in March and so the belt will be changed in the next few weeks. Our car at 160000 has had 3 changes so far. Better safe than sorry.

Peter

Comment

My van is the 2.0 HDi with a recommendation of 100k miles or 10 years so the cambelt has been changed prematurely, but it's worth it for peace of mind. It's only covered 3k per year and, as was pointed out to me, it may have stood for 10 months per year unused and with the belt in tension. I paid £130 for the belt and new tensioner and it's given me peace of mind and I'm grateful for all the advice given. A cambelt is not to be gambled on!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X