Roof Mounted Telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof Mounted Telly

Our new (to us, it was registered in March 2010) Outlook has a roof mounted hinge down telly/DVD/monitor. Works fine except the only way to listen to it is to wear wireless headphones, and this is uncomfortable and inconvenient.
    There are 3 unused fly leads coming from it for video and L & R audio outputs.
    Handbook spec for these O/P's says 1.6v +/- 20%. If anyone has a similar fitment, I have a few questions:
    1. Can it be wired into the existing cab speakers?
    2. Would the L & R Audio outputs run separate small speakers, and if so would it need an amplifier?
    3. Would it be worth changing the head unit to facilitate 1 if not possible as OEM
    This forum is usually a mine of information, so here's hoping........
    :jump for joy:Jimish

What make is the tv? Sometimes there are options in the menu system which allow you to receive sound from different sources. Santa bought me an Avtex tv, which has 2 speakers built in, or the sound can be transmitted via the car radio to the car speaker system, it also has headphone sockets. Whichever one is used, I have to choose it in the menu system.

Comment

Yes, I know about all the menu options. It's not a make I can recognise, all it says on the screen is 10.2" TFT/LCD. No makers name. These things are being churned out of China these days and anybody can stick a name on the outside if they want to.
      I also have an Avtex. Brilliant bit of kit but I want to use this one as it is built into the cab roof of my R20.
      Thanks for your comments

Comment

My diddy TV has the same problem. I just connected the L&R audio outputs to a small set of computer speakers to see if it worked - and it did - without any additional amplifier.You can also use either the left or the right output with one plug.

There were a set of speakers installed in my van, wired to an analogue car radio which didn't work, so I got a friend to wire these up to a little audio plug which runs around the caravan to where the tv is, and plugs in there. Hey presto, base sound (the speakers are near floor level inset into the side bunks) and also the rather tinny treble from the tv, making a good balanced sound altogether!

Try it with a pair of computer speakers first to see if it works with them, it should work ok without an amplifier, they are just audio out jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by jimish View Post
          Yes, I know about all the menu options. It's not a make I can recognise, all it says on the screen is 10.2" TFT/LCD. No makers name. These things are being churned out of China these days and anybody can stick a name on the outside if they want to.
          I also have an Avtex. Brilliant bit of kit but I want to use this one as it is built into the cab roof of my R20.
          Thanks for your comments
          Sorry Jim, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know about the menu systems!

I thought I was pretty savvy about computers and electronics, but it took me three days to find the FM transmitter buried in the menu system of the Avtex- as you say, a brilliant piece of kit, but I found the manual pretty useless! I know ther tech support is very good, but can't be helpful over the Christmas period!!

Comment

Thank you JJ and Vonuk for your responses. I'm sorry if I sounded a little abrupt about the menu; I didn't mean to cause offence.
            I use an Avtex aerial with my Avtex 10" telly and it works a treat. The aerial has a built in amplifier and if you select Antenna Power on in the menu, the TV powers the aerial without you having to plug it into a separate 12v supply - you just have the aerial cable to plug into the telly. Fix the suction mount to the outside of the Camper and you have a perfect picture most times. ( I had trouble in the middle of exmoor, but then who needs telly in such a beautiful place ?)
            JJ, the computer speakers are a good idea, I have never had any but I think I know where I could borrow some (Look out Daughter, here I come again!) to try. I don't need cinema sound in the camper.

Comment

Yes, try the computer speakers first! If it works, then just buy yourself some!

Lots on Amazon, you just need to decide which ones and where they will fit!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-OEM...5250970&sr=8-3
              Last edited by jayjay; 30-12-2011, 13:19.

Comment

Jimish - if your tv has a standard 3.5mm headphone socket fitted, you can get an RF modulator that transmits the sound to a preset unused frequency on your car radio - they are very often used with MP3 players for car use.

Mike

Comment

Trouble with that Mike is that in their infinite wisdom and to treat all car owners like idiots, Citroen have decided that the radio switches itself off 15 minutes after stopping the engine. Makes no difference if you leave the keys in - after 15 minutes you have to start the b....y engine to get it back on again. I just hate these so called safety features on new cars. Then there's people who leave roundabouts with the right indicator going........!
                  Sorry. I use an RF Modulator with my iphone but of course can't use that either when camping. Can a dealer by pass this "eco mode" does anybody know?
                  Cheers, Jim

Comment

I haven't taken offence, Jim, don't worry!
                    Your comments re Citroen and radios was interesting, I hadn't intended to use the fm transmitter, as the built in speakers are fine, I wear 2 hearing aids, so refined sound is lost on me, plus the thought of reaching into the cab area to adjust sound etc is just too inconvenient, and certainly if it is every 15 minutes to switch the radio back on! However it said there was an Fm transmitter on the box, and I was determined to find it, I thought I'd experiment with the radio at home just to see if it works, I rather suspect the speakers in the tv will be better than the radio!

Comment

The wild ones.

Its ok to have a telly but why? there is so much to see and look at in this world of ours. Just remeber early to bed early to rise. This is what we do normaly im up at 5am. Today i was late 6,15am???
                      Originally posted by jimish View Post
                      Our new (to us, it was registered in March 2010) Outlook has a roof mounted hinge down telly/DVD/monitor. Works fine except the only way to listen to it is to wear wireless headphones, and this is uncomfortable and inconvenient.
                      There are 3 unused fly leads coming from it for video and L & R audio outputs.
                      Handbook spec for these O/P's says 1.6v +/- 20%. If anyone has a similar fitment, I have a few questions:
                      1. Can it be wired into the existing cab speakers?
                      2. Would the L & R Audio outputs run separate small speakers, and if so would it need an amplifier?
                      3. Would it be worth changing the head unit to facilitate 1 if not possible as OEM
                      This forum is usually a mine of information, so here's hoping........
                      Roger Green.Roger Green.

Comment

For us, the telly is a back up for when Hilda won't talk to me any more, the dog is fed up with me goin' on and we've had enough yahtzee, pass the pigs etc.
                        I like to watch local news, wherever we are. We aren't telly addicts. Sometimes over a long winter evening we will put on a dvd, after all when it's dark at 1630 and not light till 0730, that's a long time. If the dog and I have been walking all day, I just want to put my feet up sometimes.
                        As for the Avtex, we were always happy with it's built in speakers. Good enough for the Campervan, and for the kitchen actually, where we use the Avtex now.
                        Off to our Daughters for New Year now, and a free pair of computer speakers!
                        All the best to you all.
                        Jim, Hilda & bosun
                        P.S. I posted this thread also on "Romahome Chat". Can a moderator delete that one please?
                        Last edited by jimish; 31-12-2011, 12:20.

Comment

Deleted other thread for you Jim. Have a good new year, let's hope the computer speakers do the trick.
                          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Thanks for doing that Glen. Well we're back - aren't I glad that all that fuss and nonsense is over!
                            I tried the computer speakers and found that the output from the Aux out jacks on the roof mounted telly were not powerful enough to drive them. You could hear them but at a very low volume, so that proved what I suspected that it needed an amplifier too.
                            Then I had one of those eureka moments - we use a battery powered ipod dock in the van and lo and behold, it's got an Aux in socket on the back. So off to Maplin to buy an adapter cable from dual jack to single 3.5mm, and bob's your uncle. I then spent an enjoyable half hour listening to my Dire Straits DVD with a can of Murphy's.
                            Now all I've got to do is put everything back properly, that cab roof lining is going to want a fight, I know.
                            Thanks everybody for all your help, and Happy New Year.
                            Cheers, Jim

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X