Gas Hob & Grill repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Hob & Grill repairs?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get the hob and grills refurbished? repaired? Or is it possible to do it yourself?

Mine works but would like it to be checked over and tidied up whilst renewing everything else.

I have had a look at just replacing it with a new one .. but due to the size of the fibreglass hole (for want of a better word) it will be a nightmare sourcing one to fit at a reasonable price. Thank you
    I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
    http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Originally posted by Minimouse View Post
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get the hob and grills refurbished? repaired? Or is it possible to do it yourself?

Mine works but would like it to be checked over and tidied up whilst renewing everything else.

I have had a look at just replacing it with a new one .. but due to the size of the fibreglass hole (for want of a better word) it will be a nightmare sourcing one to fit at a reasonable price. Thank you
    I believe Jayjay did a job on hers and it was successful
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
      I believe Jayjay did a job on hers and it was successful
      I just took mine to bits and cleaned it, then put it all back together! When I got them apart, I soaked them in hot soapy water and bicarb. Bit of a wire brushing and they came up pretty well. I've a feeling that you will have to do the same, as I don't think you can buy the cookers new. I think Pam Park bought a few different ones from Ebay, maybe she has one spare, or can tell you the make - I know they are the same as the Romini ones. ?

The one in the caravan was a bit more complicated as I had to source 'spacers' to fit underneath the burners, looked like little cardboard rings, and also had to find how the top of the burners came off! In the latter case, it was a type of bayonet fitting, but in your demountable, they should screw off with a screwdriver. The screws in mine were so old as to be unusable, I had to use a junior hacksaw to cut new grooves into the phillips heads (what was left of them) for a flat screwdriver to get them off.

While you're there, you could maybe replace any of the orange gas hose feed pipes (fitted with jubilee clips) from end to end (gas pipe source to cooker) as they need replacing every five years or so as they can perish from the inside. A simple habitation check from a local mobile caravan service engineer also doesn't cost a great deal - he will check there are no gas leaks in the system.

Comment

Just 2 caveats when messing about with gas appliances

1 Dont poke jets out with wire (those of us old enough to remember primus stoves will know about pricking out jets to clear the carbon), blow them clear with compressed air.

2 Make sure that you get your work checked by a qualified gas engineer.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for the replies..

think I might go visit a local home gas cooker repairer and see if they can do it for me ..

Comment

Thanks for the replies..

think I might go visit a local home gas cooker repairer and see if they can do it for me ..
            I'm not sure they'll know how - LPG camping cookers are different to home gas cookers.

Try a search on Yell.com for motorhome service engineers in your area!

Here's one I found... try a few and ask for prices to do the work.

http://www.mobilemotorhomeservices.co.uk/index.php

Comment

a conventional oven cleaner will work wonders on the metal parts and a blow through with a high pressure hair hose will clean the jets,local garage might oblige a lady.
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

will be taking it out of the van at the weekend and look at it from there

Comment

Would you not be better asking Ant about this

Alf

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
                    Would you not be better asking Ant about this

Alf
                    Why worry Ant if someone else knows the answer..

and usually on here .. someone does ..

Comment

Why worry Ant if someone else knows the answer..

and usually on here .. someone does ..
                      Because as always with a gas problem a professional answer and advice saves money.time and even lives......... a bodged job following second hand advice on a problem where a forum poster advises on an unseen problem makes little sense .... but then you are free to do as you wish.

Comment

I had a problem with my cooker in the demountable with very low flames, taking about 15 mins to boil a kettle. So on Ant's advice took it out, removed the burners and cleared the jets with thinners. It worked wonders and now i can actually cook !

Remember the sequence you remove bita and rebuild in it reverse!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X