As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does my domestic battery need replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does my domestic battery need replacing?

I am confused over whether the 85Ah domestic battery on my 5 year old Romahome HiLo needs replacing. The the pointer in the little battery monitoring meter in the control panel (where you can switch between use of domestic or engine battery or off) is now showing in the red area, whereas always before it was in the green. However, on the battery itself, the circular visual battery condition checker is green, which means it is in good condition.

I have tried mains electric hook-up charging for a few days, but the effect was short lived.

Any ideas?

it probbably dead or getting there fast the green window only works with a good battery ,you probbably have a duff cell ,and there is no way back from that ,sorry MOS

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
      I am confused over whether the 85Ah domestic battery on my 5 year old Romahome HiLo needs replacing. The the pointer in the little battery monitoring meter in the control panel (where you can switch between use of domestic or engine battery or off) is now showing in the red area, whereas always before it was in the green. However, on the battery itself, the circular visual battery condition checker is green, which means it is in good condition.

I have tried mains electric hook-up charging for a few days, but the effect was short lived.

Any ideas?
      A voltmeter across the battery terminals shoud give you an idea Richard. Regardless of what the "idiot lights" (as the Americans call them) or colours a fully charged battery should register 13.2 volts fully charged - though it will show more if just freshly charged - and 10.8 volts flat.
      Even though these figures will probably still apply to many "dud" batteries it does not indicate the capacity (i.e. how much useable electricity is available). So if a battery runs down quickly it needs changing.
      For those who do not understand batteries the best course is really to get it tested at a battery centre. Many offer the service free, but may expect a sale if found faulty.
      Jim.
      P.S. I see MOS posted while I was typing this. I had a dud leisure battery which never showed anything but green even when flat! So I no longer trust the colours!
      Last edited by Twolitre; 14-01-2012, 17:01. Reason: P.S.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Jim is on the money,your battery is not holding charge,exchange it.Leisure batteries should hold charge for a long time,longer than a power battery,so if its dropping,change it.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

dead battery

Originally posted by Richard View Post

Any ideas?
          I had exactly the same problem with my leisure battery on my romini, the green light said it was ok and it would charge but wouldnt hold the charge for more than a day. I had a mate check it and he said it had a dead cell.
          Go outdoors had a deal on thier leisure batteries a short while ago 100ah normaly 85 quid reduced to 35? Give them a try!

Comment

I think that "Idiot light" is the best description for the device fitted to modern batteries. I have yet to come across one that works properly.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X