Cam belt change interval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam belt change interval

Hi guys, I Have my eye on a 2005 auto cruise m/h. It is powered by the peugeot 2.2 hdi turbo diesel which has covered 12k miles. Does anyone know at what mileage the belt should be changed/or the elapsed time interval. Also what's the likely cost fitted of a new belt/ tensioner in a established garage, not main dealer. Thanks tony

Hi Tony you are well safe on milage yet but time is short ,i think from memmory its about 8 years . but i could be wrong ,the last one we had was but yours is a later engine than ours. if you ring the dealers they will give you the recomended times for change

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
      Hi guys, I Have my eye on a 2005 auto cruise m/h. It is powered by the peugeot 2.2 hdi turbo diesel which has covered 12k miles. Does anyone know at what mileage the belt should be changed/or the elapsed time interval. Also what's the likely cost fitted of a new belt/ tensioner in a established garage, not main dealer. Thanks tony
      At that age I would worry more about getting it changed immediately. From past (expensive) experience I know that they can fail long before the recommendations for changing. I never leave mine on anywhere near the recommendations.
      Never try to squeeze the last few miles or months out of one of those!
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
        Peugeot say 10 years or 60,000 but not only the cam belt should worry you the tyres may be original the better way to do this is to ask the seller to put these in order before the sale or to make allowance for it in the cost a main dealers price for the cam belt and water pump will be in the £500 - £600 price range you need the water pump doing when the cam belt is done

Alf

Comment

Our 2007 Outlook has done 50000 miles and I will be changing the cambelt and pulleys as soon as the weather warms up a little bit.

Our Berlingo car is 11 years old and has done 160000 miles and i have changed the cambelt 3 times.

I changed the tyres on our camper last year because 4 of the 5 michelins had cracks in the sidewalls. The excuse from the tyre manufacturer was that it is a camper and spends a long time stood - I think not at over 10000 miles per year. I have not replaced them with michelins but budget van tyres and I am sure that they will need replacing before they are worn out. By the way michelin recommend 5 years max regardless of mileage.

Peter

Comment

I agree with Peter,I change tyres as soon as cracks show,although usually I get a good milage from a set.
            Dont penny pinch on belts,change them on purchase and then every 5 years,you cant be too careful.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Just remember that preventative maintenance works out much cheaper than waiting until something breaks.

Tight person that I am our Romahome is having a Stainless Steel exhaust fitted next week and the fitter will be giving me the parts that they remove so that I can recycle them on our car, both exhausts need attention and I have worked out that the good parts removed from the camper are the same as the bad parts on the car, with just a little welding the car exhaust will be as good as new.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                Our 2007 Outlook has done 50000 miles and I will be changing the cambelt and pulleys as soon as the weather warms up a little bit.

Our Berlingo car is 11 years old and has done 160000 miles and i have changed the cambelt 3 times.

I changed the tyres on our camper last year because 4 of the 5 michelins had cracks in the sidewalls. The excuse from the tyre manufacturer was that it is a camper and spends a long time stood - I think not at over 10000 miles per year. I have not replaced them with michelins but budget van tyres and I am sure that they will need replacing before they are worn out. By the way michelin recommend 5 years max regardless of mileage.

Peter
                Peter a few years ago we had 2 of our van tyres start to show small cracks after 4 years these were michelin agilis after complaining the michelin rep visited and he reckoned that more damage was done by being in direct sunlight ( he said this was affecting the parrafin wax in the rubber ?) the good tyres were in the shade of a fence he only would go to 60% allowance on the 2 tyres so I asked for the allowance on all the tyres not just the damaged ones eventually he agreed this on the 4 road wheels only ever since I have manage to park out of ditect sunlight and touch wood never had cracks since. As for the OP he could has a good case of requesting either the work doing or a discount off the selling price.

By they way this is what Michelin say ( note they say tyres can go to 10 years before changing.

After five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year. If the need arises, follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable

I take our tyres off and inspect both sides of the tyres and destone the treads at least 2/3 times a year and move around at least once

Alf
                Last edited by alf39; 19-01-2012, 11:49.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X