C15 Romahome braking question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 Romahome braking question...

Hello, I've had 1992 C15 a Romahome for a while now, best described as 'gently rusting'. I've run a classic car in the past (Triumph Vitesse Mk1), so I have some experience of heavy steering and 'no brakes', which brings me to my question...

Is there any improvement in the braking of the C15 with certain brake pads, I was reliably informed by the previous owner hat the braking system was overhauled (which seemed to be borne out by receipts), however the braking performance is still not good.

I've read on another forum that EBC green stuff pads used on a C15 van improved the braking, any advice much appreciated...

I think you will find simiar comments to mine that the C15 brakes are something else ! They do work but they take their time so you brake in plenty of time.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, mjob. You'll find folk here very friendly and only too happy to help with queries such as yours.

Di.

Comment

The C15 does have a break problem, but it does stop in the end especially when you get used to them, give the vehicle in front plenty room, I mean plenty room, I had the same problem and posted it on here some years back. I tried different pads, no difference at all.
        Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
        'Live without regrets'

Comment

The secret is to find someone who really understands brakes and for them to adjust the rear brakes very carefully, making sure that the load sensing valve is correctly adjusted and not seized. (If it is seized you do not need a new one just patience and WD40 or other penetrating type oil. Just having the brakes overhauled is not enough, it is the careful adjustment that is the key

Peter

Comment

Left hand drive C15s brake much better than those that have been converted for the UK market. This could be becuase between the foot pedal and the master cyclinder actuating arm on the left side there is a long linkage with bushes as the means to transfer pressure from one side of the vehicle to the other. All of this absorbs pressure through friction in the bushes especially if they are not lubricated often.

Buy an oil can with a long flexi spout and oil every joint whilst moving it by hand, collecting any dripping oil into a rag.

Make sure the rubber pipes on the belt driven brake pump are secure and not leaking. Check the oil level in the pump is correct.

After all this you may have slightly better brakes but learn to keep your distance from the vehicle in front.

The above work improved my C15 Romahome but needs to be oiled every few months.

Comment

When I bought mine ( c15 Y reg) a few months ago it seemed that the brakes were "an optional extra". Service documents indicated the brakes had been looked at several times, by several people. Turned out that the vacuum pump had distingetrated internally. This was replaced and all components of the brake system stripped down, cleaned and greased - by someone with a meticulous eye for detail - who constantly moaned that the brakes were designed for a left hand drive.

In the end - all is well - and I live in a hilly area with winding single track roads where good brakes are essential. The van still doesn't respond as quickly as my car does. That makes me concentrate more on distant drivers who might disappear from sight and then suddenly appear around a sharp bend.

I've haven't had my van long but I intend to follow the advice of others in the forum and get the brakes cleaned and adjusted a couple of times a year and follow the advice I was given many many years ago by my father "doesn't matter how well you think you drive - you need to assume that every other driver on the road is not concentrating and a bad driver anyway "- and you drive accordingly.

Comment

It would be worth checking the bushes in the cross shaft (the bit that converts the RHD brake pedal to the LHD position)

Peter

Comment

No matter how you look at it, problems because it's made for right hand drive etc, etc, so are many many other vehicles made for right hand drive from left hand manufacture with no problems, C15 brakes are rubbish, always have been, you just have to get used to them and drive accordingly, even my meticulous machanical engineer had the shock of his life when he first took it for a road test after some repair work, but fine if you are aware of the situation and drive accordingly. God willing.
                  Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                  'Live without regrets'

Comment

I can only speak of my personal experience of C15 brakes,when I got my C15 years ago I had the braking system overhauled,new discs,calipers, drums and cylinders.It didnt cost a fortune and anyway its my neck on the line.The Brakes were fine all the time I owned her. No problems at all.
                    Old vehicles have old brakes - your choice!
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I had a C15 van from new in 1991 which I had for 10 years- I didn't realise it had brakes!!

derek b and Babs
                      derek b and Babs

Comment

C15 brakes

As already mentioned ' old car old brakes ' you just have to adapt your driving style accordingly and read the road ahead and you will not have a problem. Good luck

Comment

And remember to be careful if you switch from modern car to van and back. I nearly gave myself and passengers whiplash the first time I drove my car after my old Hylo! I had adapted to Hylo braking rather too well, and didn't adapt back quickly enough in my car.
                          Aileen.

Comment

Aileen this really made me laugh - where I live, sudden braking on single track roads is often needed - yesterday - in my car without passengers - had the same "problem" as you and 'overbraked' - shooting the contents of my shopping off the back seats and scattered all over back of car (boot was already full with hen food - rear footwells also full) The whisky (valentine present for partner) and wine bottles (just stocking up - nearest wine seller 30 miles away) didn't break:so happy:

Comment

Cedas,
                              There must be many of us. So glad the important cargo remained intact!
                              Aileen

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X