Water filled indicators!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water filled indicators!

One of my indicators on my Talbot Express stopped working on Sunday and when Ross looked he found that both sides were half filled with water.

Took them off yesterday, emptied the water, dried them out thoroughly, replaced the bulbs and refitted them- neither are working now! Have used WD40 on all the connections, the wiring seems ok so am stumped about what to try next.

Has anyone any 'bright', , ideas about what else I can try before admitting defeat and contacting an auto electrician?

Thanks, Di.

Check that you have not blown a fuse do you have volt meter check for voltage and check that they are grounded swap for a known working bulb, ie. the fog light one that is the one i use do carry spare but with them rattleing around never can be 100% they havent got damaged if the wire push on to contact pull off and clean them

Comment

Rear Lens

Hi Di many years ago we had the same problem on an Express I drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of both of the lenses to act as a drain hole
      Alf

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
        Hi Di many years ago we had the same problem on an Express I drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of both of the lenses to act as a drain hole
        Alf
        Hmm. If you have a very switched on/fussy MoT tester, they may fail the vehicle as the vehicle would be showing a white light with the red to the rear.

Has been known.
        Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
          One of my indicators on my Talbot Express stopped working on Sunday and when Ross looked he found that both sides were half filled with water.

Took them off yesterday, emptied the water, dried them out thoroughly, replaced the bulbs and refitted them- neither are working now! Have used WD40 on all the connections, the wiring seems ok so am stumped about what to try next.

Has anyone any 'bright', , ideas about what else I can try before admitting defeat and contacting an auto electrician?

Thanks, Di.
          check for a blown fuse certainly,then when all working,remove the indicator cover put a thin bead of bath tub sealer around the edge refix and you should be water tight and you can still get them off to change the bulb.
          the water usually gets in because the rubber seal fails with age.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by zaphod View Post
            Hmm. If you have a very switched on/fussy MoT tester, they may fail the vehicle as the vehicle would be showing a white light with the red to the rear.

Has been known.
            Hmm Hmm, I see .....
            The hole is drilled in the rear of the lens at the bottom This then shines a white light in the void at the rear of the light cluster!!!!:so happy:

It may be wise to check the lenses I have seen these upside down. there should be small drain slot in the bottom flange if this is at the top this is where the water gets in from memory there is a slight gap between the rear and front lens this can fill with gunge or just warp closed so a small hole in the rear of the plastic lens will fool the fussy MOT man unless he follows this forum I supose it has been Known ????
            Alf

Comment

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_120.htm

Looks like you'd get away with that.

I have known of many failures over the years from holed, cracked rear clusters., via the trade.

Latest I know of happened to a friend of mine on his Volvo late last year - except the examiner used some common sense, and fitted a small square of black pvc tape over the hole, as a temporary measure. Would that all MoT testers were so helpful. IIRC, said friend invested in a very small rubber bung, for future use, and hopefully, MoT passing! The hole has been drilled for draining, likewise.
              Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

Simply fit coloured bulbs did do that on my mpv as rear lense clusters where broken and fixed with a lense cover

Comment

Thanks, guys. I have checked the fuses which are all fine. I think we've put the covers back on the wrong sides but that shouldn't make much difference.

When working, if ever, I will seal them as you suggest, Ian, daren't risk drilling as I'm bound to crack the cover and bet I can't get replacements for a 21 yr van.

Looks like the auto electrician

Di.

Comment

Well, I managed without the help of an auto electician but with the help of Alf39 who has been so kind, helpful and patient with me. Messages have been flying back and forth between us for a week or so and it was only when he drew the bulbs in detail, , that I realised that the bulbs I'd been given by Halfords had a double contact whereas the dud ones I removed from the unit were single contacts.

Once the correct bulbs were put in the indicators worked like a dream and I also now know what to do to stop the covers filling with water again.

So if the Forum has a Certificate of Recognition of Services rendered it should definitely be awarded to Alf who even offered to drive half way to meet me to try and solve the problem if the new and correct bulbs didn't work. :so happy:

Thanks a million Alf. He describes himself as an ageing electrical engineer, I describe him as a super star. :welldone:

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                      Well, I managed without the help of an auto electician but with the help of Alf39 who has been so kind, helpful and patient with me. Messages have been flying back and forth between us for a week or so and it was only when he drew the bulbs in detail, , that I realised that the bulbs I'd been given by Halfords had a double contact whereas the dud ones I removed from the unit were single contacts. Once the correct bulbs were put in the indicators worked like a dream and I also now know what to do to stop the covers filling with water again.

So if the Forum has a Certificate of Recognition of Services rendered it should definitely be awarded to Alf who even offered to drive half way to meet me to try and solve the problem if the new and correct bulbs didn't work.

Thanks a million Alf. He describes himself as an ageing electrical engineer, I describe him as a super star. Di.
                      Di, …. Well we got there in the end,
                      I was brought up in time when people did help one another without asking what is in for them.

I am equally as pleased as you that you have succeeded at completing the job yourself.
                      Well done you .

Alf

Comment

Well done! Glad to hear a happy ending to this one. I had a similar problem with one of my Bedford Rascal headlights - enough water to carry a goldfish around! I solved that with sealer and a new bulb, but I took the old one with me and luckily the chap at the shop knew to check there were two different sorts, or I would have had the same problem!

Comment

:so happy: glad you got it sorted and 'hats off' to Alf for all his help.
                          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

If water gets into the headlights... Stop dipping them!

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post
                              If water gets into the headlights... Stop dipping them!
                              I'm dazzled by that solution!!
                              Joe
                              If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X