C15 Front suspension query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 Front suspension query

Owing to my phenomenal strength! I have managed to shear one of the suspension strut mounting studs off on my C15D Hitop by over tightening it. I was on the search of an earthing problem! Obviously needs replacing. What Haynes doesn't give me is how I could replace this nut and bolt/stud/seat. I do know I have to jack, raise and secure the the nearside, also compress the spring v. carefully. The manual mentions the spring seat. I take it this is the part I would need. Possibly with 3 studs welded on. I have no desire to disassemble the bottom of the suspension if not needed. Can I just lower the suspension, undo the other 2 nuts, slide in the spring seat and retighten carefully? Could someone point me in the direction of a springseat for a C15D.
    Any info much appreciated.
    Jol

Not too difficult a job but you will need some good quality spring compressors to do the job, a Haynes workshop manual is also useful.

Breakers yards will only want so sell a complete suspension leg but the part should still be available from Citroen as they made the van until about 2005.

If you can get it apart a good engineering firm should be able to replace the broken stud.

Earths always seem to be a pain on C15s. When we had one we got it cheap because the electrics were U/S. I ran extra earths all over the place and fixed it all.

Good luck

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by jolmartyn View Post
      What Haynes doesn't give me is how I could replace this nut and bolt/stud/seat.
      I'll venture this suggestion without going outside in the snow to look at mine and check, but might it not be possible to drill out the remains of the existing stud and put in a nut and bolt in its place?

Comment

From what I remember there is not enough room to get your hand in up at the side of the strut to hold a bolt head.

Comment

thanks

I think a trip to the main dealers. I don't think anything will go because of this broken stud. I can't believe the actual job will be too difficult just setting everything up. There are plenty of other smaller problems to sort out in the mean time like leaky earths and rattles! Thanks for your help people.
          Jol

Comment

You dont need a main dealer, your local jobbing garage that you trust is more than up to this job. They will have taken hundreds of struts off to replace the springs and will have the right gear. They may even repair the top plate for you instead of fitting a new one.

Peter

Comment

thanks

Thanks, I guess this is the way forward. The fancy new database for sourcing parts found one for £50 - They must be joking! Sort out my local weld shop. Had a look at it earlier today.
              Jol

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X