Citroen berlingo Romahome conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citroen berlingo Romahome conversion

This is my very first post on this forum as I just became a owner of a Citroen Berlingo Romahome duo. Which I'm very excited about.

I was dreaming about a citroen romahome, due to my budget about the earlier C15, for quite some time and eventually I have bought a 1998 Berlingo romahome. At a great price of just over 3000 pounds.

The price was low as the motorhome has some minor front end damage (headlights bumper one of the wings and the windscreen straight forward fix.
    I am keen to put it back on the road asap but I have several dilemmas about the fix.
    This is the early type berlingo and its pretty easy to do a facelift on it...( Slam panel, wings, headlights, bumper )pretty much all the parts I require to fix it. If I decide to go with the facelift maybe I should just buy a complete facelift berlingo with like a 1.6 hdi engine.

This way I could facelift the car and upgrade the engine from the old 1905cc diesel to the 90bhp 1560cc. This would make it more comfortable to drive

I could also swap the dashboard making the romahome much more attractive...

And here comes my dilemma...If I decide to go with all those changes and maybe in a couple of years I decide to sell or upgrade to a bigger motorhome. Will I be able to sell it at a reasonable price.

Will people find it suspicious that a 1998 berlingo has the new front, 1.6 engine and air con?

I don't want to go with this fuss and then be unable to sell this motorhome when I want.

Please share your opinions with me as I am very confused....and as I said I want to get on with this project

Coming back to the conversion what went through my mind was buying a newish berlingo (2007-2008) chopping the back of and simply fitting the romahome cabin onto it. The benefits of this would be a rust free chasis lower road tax etc....I would obviously inform the DVLA of this change...
    So here is my question would potential buyers not see this as a van to camper van conversion and thus not buying it?

Also If I changed the car to a Left hand drive would that be a benefit or drawback?

I'm not afraid of the technical aspect of this project as I know quite a bit about cars.

If I posted this thread in the wrong section then I'm sorry
    I hope to get your opinions on this,
    Thanks, Michael

Hello Michael, welcome to the forum.

I can only speak for myself but regarding chopping off the back of the romahome and putting it on another vehicle, I personally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole as I wouldn't be confident the job had been done right.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

To chop or not to chop?

Originally posted by mikie View Post
      This is my very first post on this forum as I just became a owner of a Citroen Berlingo Romahome duo. Which I'm very excited about.

I was dreaming about a citroen romahome, due to my budget about the earlier C15, for quite some time and eventually I have bought a 1998 Berlingo romahome. At a great price of just over 3000 pounds.

The price was low as the motorhome has some minor front end damage (headlights bumper one of the wings and the windscreen straight forward fix.
      I am keen to put it back on the road asap but I have several dilemmas about the fix.
      This is the early type berlingo and its pretty easy to do a facelift on it...( Slam panel, wings, headlights, bumper )pretty much all the parts I require to fix it. If I decide to go with the facelift maybe I should just buy a complete facelift berlingo with like a 1.6 hdi engine.

This way I could facelift the car and upgrade the engine from the old 1905cc diesel to the 90bhp 1560cc. This would make it more comfortable to drive

I could also swap the dashboard making the romahome much more attractive...

And here comes my dilemma...If I decide to go with all those changes and maybe in a couple of years I decide to sell or upgrade to a bigger motorhome. Will I be able to sell it at a reasonable price.

Will people find it suspicious that a 1998 berlingo has the new front, 1.6 engine and air con?

I don't want to go with this fuss and then be unable to sell this motorhome when I want.

Please share your opinions with me as I am very confused....and as I said I want to get on with this project

Coming back to the conversion what went through my mind was buying a newish berlingo (2007-2008) chopping the back of and simply fitting the romahome cabin onto it. The benefits of this would be a rust free chasis lower road tax etc....I would obviously inform the DVLA of this change...
      So here is my question would potential buyers not see this as a van to camper van conversion and thus not buying it?

Also If I changed the car to a Left hand drive would that be a benefit or drawback?

I'm not afraid of the technical aspect of this project as I know quite a bit about cars.

If I posted this thread in the wrong section then I'm sorry
      I hope to get your opinions on this,
      Thanks, Michael
      You have to consider what your 2nd hand market would be. Most (all?) Romahome owners on this forum are enthusiastic and Romahomes are a niche market anyway. Anything that is not a true Romahome, in other words not built by the factory, is going to be viewed with total suspicion and in most cases dismissed out of hand. I have to agree with Graham here; I and many others would not touch it with a barge pole. Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

Hi Michael, .

Can't answer your question with any expertise but as someone with little or no knowledge about vehicles of any description I don't think I would buy something that had been altered from it's original state. I can remember being warned off back street dealers who 'chop and box', taking damaged vehicles and putting 2 together to make, what appears to be, an undamaged car. Not that I'm suggesting you're one of these fraudsters - I guess you're a well qualified engineer or what ever to be able to do what you suggest with confidence - but I still wouldn't buy.

However, it sounds like an interesting project and if you were content to keep the vehicle until it's eventual demise then go for it.

Di.

Comment

Like the others, I would be very wary of something altered in this way.

I would just be inclined to repair the minor front end damage and keep it in it's original format.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies...

My enthusiasm about this project has peaked now and your comments brought me back to ground.

I like to play around with cars and I restore classics and convert modern cars from right to left hand drive. I believe that if something was hand made it can be dismantled and put back together with no problems.

I have looked at the construction of the romahome and it seems to be really straight forward.

The idea was born in my head as I've noticed that the berlingo was damaged on the front before. So its been involved in two collisions now. I thought that giving it a fresh body would be a good idea based on the above fact.

I guess what I will do is Fix it up on the pre-facelift berlingo parts and if I decide to keep this motorhome for longer I might give it a new body later on in the future.

I guess I must also check if any of the accidents were recorded on the HPI.

Is there a way I can find out if my romahome was actually built by romahome limited?

Also I have a citroen dispatch back on the continent so I might convert that to a camper for a start

Can anyone recommend any shops with appliances such as fridges, ovens, windows etc?

I've found LeedsLeisurevehicle but anything else out there?

Comment

As far as I know, no-one else but Romahome ever built a Romahome!

You might find this company useful:

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/

Comment

The wings and front panel are not interchangeable between the facelift(mk2) Berlingo and the mk1 (We have both and i have had a good look. Similarly the engine swap would be very difficult because yours has the XUD engine with no electronics whereas the later engined vehicles involve quite a lot of electronics for both engine management and other functions including the dreaded CANBUS wiring. Our 2 Berlingos, one a car and the other a Romahome, have the same DW8 engine but they are 7 years apart and the engines are not interchangeable due to the electronics including the control of the diesel pump.

With the older C15 based Romahomes a number have been transferred on to newer vans, the prices vary, some people are honest and describe the vehicle accurately and other try to pass it off as a newer camper. (Watch ebay for a few weeks and see how many post 2000 C15 Romahomes come up for sale) The transfer could be done to a newer base vehicle but values could be compromised and anyone trying to insure would need a friendly insurance company and an engineers report.

Peter

Comment

When did they stop making the C15 romahome? I know mine is a genuine Romahome as the paperwork supports this - but it was first registered April 2001. I am guessing it was one of the last C15 -- romahomes on the Berlingo seem to start from around 2000

Comment

THe engine swap would have to be carried out with all the electrics I quite inderstand that ive done that on a peugeot and these are the smme van. Ive been to my local scrap yard and it seemed to me like if a facelift is possible.

I have abandoned this conversion anyways and as I said I will fix it up in the current form.

Ive cvhecked the HPI and it is a cat D. I guess if i made more changed to the vehicle people would find it even more suspicious.

Comment

My berlingo is a 98. so they started builing on the berlingo earlier.
                      when Ive done my Hpi it said its a motorhome.
                      I did input my Reg number into the ebay sell engine and it appeared as a berlingo platform cab....
                      If it said its a panel that would suggest it was not converted by Romahome LTD

Comment

Questions, questions.

Most C15s from 1990 on were built on platform (chassis) cabs and production appeared to finish in 2000/2001 with odd ones registered in 2001 or even 2002 but it is easy to tell one transferred onto a later van by looking carefully at the camper part - there are tell tale signs.

The conversion from mk1 to mk2 Berlingo would involve changing/ modification of the inner wings which are a part of the structure.

The first Berlingo Romahomes were built alongside the last C15s.

Peter

Comment

To cut to the chase, If i were to be repairing your '98 Berlingo, i would stay with the original model year panels.
                          The facelift - even if possible - will always be what is know in the VW world as a 'wrong un'.
                          As time passes the older styles take on a following, a kudos of their own.
                          The old shape Berlingo was - in my humble opinion - nicer anyway as the lights 'flowed' into the design rather than the face lift bug-eyes.
                          And although the HDi engine is a better powerplant than the old DW8, it is far more complicated.
                          The DW8 will always get you there, can always be fixed anywhere by any garage and does the job just fine.

Save yourself the time expense and trouble of a false facelift and rebuild it just as it came out of the factory. And enjoy it.

Also - inputting the reg number into ebays 'sell' form will always bring up the base van data. i.e the base van Romahome bought in from Citroen to do the conversion on. Your V5 should however say Motorcaravan.
                          Last edited by rubberrat; 27-04-2012, 09:32.
                          Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Another very minor point the headlights are much more effective on the mark one than they are on the mark 2

Peter

Comment

engine swap?

Hi all i am thinking about putting a 03 c15 engine in my old romahome which i think is about 1999 i have a complete van and good engine as a donor whats the best way with this ?? regards aaron

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X