catalytic converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

catalytic converter

The catalytic converter has been stolen from my Dimension van. Is it illegal to drive without one and will the engine be damaged?

Ian

hi

hi it was on t.v this morning telling u to park so no one can get under as thar is 3 metal in side on been gold the other two i can not tell u u can get a thing to go round them to stope it.tom denise

Comment

I still don't see why scumbags keep nicking them. The process, and the amount of precious metal in these things is minimal.

Comment

Someone keeps perpetuating the myth that they are valuable.

I spoke to my local MOT tester at our last MOT and he said that the cat does not influence the test (at least on our vehicles) as it is just a smoke test but if one was fitted by the manufacturer then it should be physically present for the test. The problem that brought this about was that the cat on my nephews car had collapsed internally and was affecting the running. Advice seemed to be to remove the internals and just leave the case.

They do sell on the Internet cat replacement pipes but whether you could get through an MOT is a different matter. There are also kits sold to fit to protect your cat.

Our local authority minibus fleet was done recently over 30 buses in one night. It caused all sorts of problems getting disabled children and vulnerable people to their places of care never mind the cost.

I think if it was me I would replace the cat but not with a manufacturers part but the cheapest that I could find.

Peter

Comment

I confess to knowing nothing but a SMF member who doesn't post read your post and said you can run the vehicle with out the 'CAT'. He added that if the thieves left the flanges a local exhaust fitters can weld a pipe between. Factory prices for new ones are about £140.

he also said you could 'e'mail him if you wanted more info - I have his address and will pm you if you want it.

Di.

Comment

Thanks Di-that is most kind

Any details would be most helpful.

Many thanks

Ian

Comment

Your vehicle will run quite happily without a CAT but as I said the MOT will depend on the testers interpretation of the rules.

Peter

Comment

Ian, have pm'd you.

Di.

Comment

A CAT is not vital for the running of a vehicle, but is a device to control exhaust emissions. Without it a modern vehicle is unlikely to pass the MOT emissions tests.
                  I believe that these items are not stolen for their metallic value, but because new replacements are relatively costly to buy every few years. And they are more or less essential to get an MOT.
                  Jim.
                  Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Hi Jim

A diesel engine will pass an MOT emissions test without a CAT because it is only a smoke test and a CAT does not affect that but a modern petrol engine as you state will not pass the emissions test without a CAT because a petrol emissions test analyses the exhaust gasses, that is why a working lambda sensor is also required to control the fuel/air mixture going into the engine.

Modern engines get far too complicated, I was brought up on simple engines with carburettors that would run on almost any grade of petrol as long as you adjusted the ignition timing.

Peter

Comment

Thank you to you all for your advice and information-very much appreciated

Special thanks to Di

Best wishes

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                        I confess to knowing nothing but a SMF member who doesn't post read your post and said you can run the vehicle with out the 'CAT'. He added that if the thieves left the flanges a local exhaust fitters can weld a pipe between. Factory prices for new ones are about £140.

he also said you could 'e'mail him if you wanted more info - I have his address and will pm you if you want it.

Di.
                        It's a shame this member feels they can't post the information they have on the forum, it's what the forum is all about. The information he has given in an email to Ian could help someone else, it isn't as if it is a sensitive subject that needs to be private.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X