Mechanise your Stabiliser Jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanise your Stabiliser Jacks

I'm not especially skilled with video but I hope that this works. I've struggled with cold, wet, slippery, stabiliser jack wheelbraces in the belting rain and always wished I could just press a button and dive inside. I'm sure that that's possible but on a whim I tried out my little portable battery drill-driver with a SDS socket-driver held in its regular chuck. The results exceeded all expectations. I tried it out on a recent trip and actually got a round of applause from spectators!

This forum does not support .wmv video files but you may get a result by copy-paste to your browser if a double click does not work. The file is less than a megabyte.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8EmjsVJWXzQ
    Last edited by mikeroch; 23-07-2012, 14:40.

Very clever, Mike! And fast too!

I had a drill/chuck combi for my stabilisers once, only I found that the rechargable battery on the bottom of the drill made it very heavy and I found it easier just to use the windy handle (but longer time-wise, and in the rain, horrible!).

Comment

I used to use a drill, bought especially for the purpose, for the steadies on my caravan. But the socket thingy seemed a bit loose and used to slip even tho' it was the one I bought from the caravan shop.

Then one of the kids borrowed the drill when I had the campervan and I never saw it again.

When I got this van I went and bought a longer winder with a knob on the end that swivels, and it's a lot easier than the one that came with the van.

Comment

When a 12 volt battery powered electric drill I had needed a new battery at a prohibitive price, I connected a lead with a cigar-lighter socket end to it to use in my van for emergencies.
        Never did find the need to use it and eventually gave it to my Brother-in-Law to use on his caravan steadies with a socket. Older than me, he was having breathing problems.
        I never did receive any feedback. Sadly too late to ask him now. I wonder?
        Jim.
        Last edited by Twolitre; 24-07-2012, 09:45.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
          I used to use a drill, bought especially for the purpose, for the steadies on my caravan. But the socket thingy seemed a bit loose and used to slip even tho' it was the one I bought from the caravan shop.

Then one of the kids borrowed the drill when I had the campervan and I never saw it again.

When I got this van I went and bought a longer winder with a knob on the end that swivels, and it's a lot easier than the one that came with the van.
          Do you have a linky for it, Caz? I'd be interested in one of those, also my Dad who can't bend down to put down the stabilisers.

Comment

It's this one, http://www.towsure.com/product/Wheel...ady_Brace_19mm

I hold the red bit steady with one hand resting on my knee, and wind with the other hand. So much easier than the short one that came with the van which wobbled all over the place while I tried to wind.

Comment

Er...I haven't actually used my stabalisers yet, having only had the van for a year. But am very impressed by your ingenuity.

I guess I should go and have a practice with those irritating pyramid things, ready for our next outing!
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I wonder how thick I can be?
                Years ago I bought from Netto an electric gun intended for wheel changing on cars. It looks just like the air guns used by tyre companies for wheel changing, with a square drive to fit sockets.
                I bought it to put in the boot of my wife's car. Just in case.
                It turned out to have insufficient torque to handle car wheel nuts and it got stuck in a drawer out of the way. It must be still there brand new and unused and I am certain it would handle caravan steadies.
                Must look it out!!
                Thanks Mike!
                I wonder if these still turn up at Netto and Lidle stores etc?
                Jim.
                Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
                  Er...I haven't actually used my stabalisers yet, having only had the van for a year. But am very impressed by your ingenuity.

I guess I should go and have a practice with those irritating pyramid things, ready for our next outing!
                  Oh Sue!!! ~What are you like??? Get those steadies wound down this minute! You really shouldn't be going in and out of the back of your van without them down all the time (only when driving as a car) or you will do the back suspension in! And you will find the camper much more stable with them down as well. And when you've wound them down, put the wheel brace over your driving pedals, so you don't forget to wind them up before you pull off!

PS what are 'irritating pyramid things'?????

Comment

I think the 'irritating pyramid things' are what came with Sue's van instead of proper steadies attached to the van - supposedly to save weight, if I recall correctly from another thread.

Jim, that sounds interesting. What would such an item be called? Must still sell them somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                      Oh Sue!!! ~What are you like??? Get those steadies wound down this minute! You really shouldn't be going in and out of the back of your van without them down all the time (only when driving as a car) or you will do the back suspension in! And you will find the camper much more stable with them down as well. And when you've wound them down, put the wheel brace over your driving pedals, so you don't forget to wind them up before you pull off!

PS what are 'irritating pyramid things'?????
                      -----------------------------
                      Jayjay. If I had wind down steadies, i think I'd be a lot more likely to use them. My van has separate pyramid type stablisers that work rather like jacks. Apparently they were used as a means to save weight...but we hadn't been told this when our order was placed, so they came as a bit of a surprise.

You are, of course, right. I will christen them at the next meet or Ian will tell me off as well! Doubtless he will even offer his opinion re where exactly they need to be placed for use.
                      One person on the forum said he (?) leaves them right in the well by the back door, tucked into the little grey step, so that he sees them and remembers to put them up straight away.
                      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Jayjay. If I had wind down steadies, i think I'd be a lot more likely to use them. My van has separate pyramid type stablisers that work rather like jacks. Apparently they were used as a means to save weight...but we hadn't been told this when our order was placed, so they came as a bit of a surprise.

You are, of course, right. I will christen them at the next meet or Ian will tell me off as well! Doubtless he will even offer his opinion re where exactly they need to be placed for use.
                        One person on the forum said he (?) leaves them right in the well by the back door, tucked into the little grey step, so that he sees them and remembers to put them up straight away.
                        No! Ian wont tell you off because he only uses his steadies occasionally.They are a faddle and I dont think they are terribly necessary when you are as light as me
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I use my electric drill all the time for the legs and also to peg the awning down with screw pegs.
                          Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

I can't find the link at the mo' but today I received a set of 1/4-2/3-1/2 in. square adapters (for an ordinary drill) I ordered last Sat. from Amazon, for £2.20 inc postage. I tried using my drill on a leveller and it's not powerful enough to actually jack up my van, but using it to take up the slack and start the lift is still worthwhile!

Comment

Many apologies, Sue! I had forgotten that some of the newer vans had these separate ones, in which case you are forgiven for not using them, what a faff! I don't suppose it's possible to get some wind down steadies fitted?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X