Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fridge on the move

Hi all

just bought a 1999 romahome and the only thing I can't seem to work out is how to run the fridge when driving (assuming this is possible). I have tried various configurations but have only managed to flatten the vechical battery!

can anyone help?:

thanks

hi

Originally posted by hector View Post
    Hi all

just bought a 1999 romahome and the only thing I can't seem to work out is how to run the fridge when driving (assuming this is possible). I have tried various configurations but have only managed to flatten the vechical battery!

can anyone help?:

thanks
    hi is thar a swich on daseboad it will only come on with enging going tom

Comment

Hello and welcome!

Tom's right, there should be a switch on the dash and a relay from the battery to the fridge 12v socket, and I think it needs to be plugged in via the 12v socket to work. If the engine isn't running, it should switch off if you have a relay, and the switch should be set to 'car'.

If there's no switch (I didn't have one on my old Bedford Rascal Roma) there should still be a split relay connected to the engine somewhere to charge your leisure battery whilst on the road.

I know that's necessary to charge the leisure battery from the car when driving. That is the only time you can power the fridge from the 12v relay system, it's 'supposed' to keep contents cool while travelling. In practice and reality, the 12v will only keep the contents cool if they are already cool and does not cool either an empty fridge or cool down the contents if you just put them in.

When on a site, you need to run the fridge on either gas or EHU. That's when your fridge comes into its own!

If the fridge is switched onto 12v on a site (and engine not running) it may flatten your car battery if there is no split charge relay, or if the relay fuse needs replacing.

Comment

...the fridge switch on my 1999 Duo is to the right of the steering column, round, bright yellow and lights up when pushed in - when the engine is running.

I understand you have to drive quite a long way before it has much effect, but every little helps! I am sure someone will be along to explain why - although I think it's something to do with the alternator. Most of us pack some frozen food in the fridge as well (to gently defrost) and this also helps to lower the temperature before you arrive.

Liz

Comment

The fridge should be cold either by using gas or 240v mains before you start your journey.

The 12v operation will not actually cool your fridge to any great effect BUT it will maintain the temp and so if it is cold to start it will stay cold.

We usually keep 2 freezer blocks in the freezer compartment and when starting a journey transfer them to the main part of the fridge at the start of a journey. At the end of the journey (sometimes a full day and openning and closing during stops) the blocks tend to still be frozen.

It was so hot on our recent trip to France that we ran the fridge on gas every time that we stopped for a break.

Peter

Comment

Fridge on the move

Thanks to all that have gotten back to me so quickly!

More details if it helps anybody....

Van is a 99 Hytop. It has a Zig unit with a switch to change between batteries and 3 other switches marked lights, pump and aux.

There is also a seperate switch maked as isolation switch x-7

I did try the yellow fridge button on the dashboard but this flattened the vechicle battery after about an hours drive. I was thinking that I must have some of the above switches turned the wrong way?

Thanks again

H

Comment

If that flattens the van battery when you are driving I would suggest that you get an auto electrician who is familiar with motorhomes to give it a good looking at

Peter

Comment

I've never worked out what that X7 isolation switch is/does (2001 hylo) - So far as I can see it makes no difference whether it is on or off.

I don't have any of the other switches you mentioned and personally apart from switching the fridge to mains when on EHU I don't seem to have to do anything - it all seems to work well by itself.

My yellow switch on dashboard works just fine (assuming as mentioned previously - fridge was already at a low temp via gas or EHU) and mine turns off automatically when I stop engine. I have occasionally forgotten to switch it off and panicked - but have a wee gadget that checks the battery by plugging into lighter socket and this confirms that vehicle battery is still fully charged so I know it was not being drained by fridge once engine swtiched off.

So it does seem you may have a problem which needs motor electrician/motorhome electrician knowledge.

It always amazes me how differnent the systems are in Romahomes of similar age - though I suppose things could have been replaced on my vehicle that I am not aware of - I've had it less than a year and don't have full details of its past

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X