Charging auxillary battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging auxillary battery

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of a Caddy Motion golf cart battery charger ?.
    I have an auxillary battery in my Peugeot Partner and normally charge it prior to a trip. Not wanting to fully install a split charger, I noticed this Cart Charger on online auction at sensible cost and intend to simply plug it into the cigar lighter as designed and whilst in motion it will charge the auxillary battery. Golf cart batteries are normally 12volt so I see no problem other than my auxillary battery is of higher capacity and will take longer to charge. I will report on my findings when installed.
    Lincol

Sounds interesting - do you have a link?

Comment

Findings

Having bought and tried the Caddy Motion charger which appears to work as expected and charges the battery I have one issue I am not happy about. When you switch off the engine and remove the keys the Auxillary Battery backfeeds via the cigar lighter socket and the centre display remains illuminated until either the cigar plug from the caddy motion is removed or the voltage drops down to the point where the relay in the caddy motion drops out. Not sure if any harm will be done.
      Any ideas ??
      Colin

Comment

Is it this one, Lincol?
        http://www.caddy-motion.com/spec.htm

It looks really good to charge up a spare battery, which I think is what I'm going to have to get now I have a motormover on my caravan - I'd hate to think I still wouldn't be able to get it back on the drive because the leisure battery wasn't charged enough. (where to store it though??)

I have a Ring smart charger, which can be used when on EHU to charge the leisure battery, but it takes an age, being only 4amps. Now when I first installed this, I left it in place on the battery and just switched it off when the battery was fully charged. This was approx 2 days before I went away. However, when I got to where I was going the battery was completely flat! Eventually I found out that you have to disconnect the charger from the battery (there is a little in-line plug which disconnects) in order for it not to discharge the battery again, which it will do if you don't remember to unplug it.

I'm just wondering if this is the same with the one you have. I think I would take no risks and disconnect when the engine is switched off, just in case that backfeed is reversing the charge when it's off and taking charge back out of the battery you are charging, like my smart charger does.

Comment

Backfeed

You have the correct link jayjay, The caddy motion appears to work the same way as an electronic split charge relay whereby once the terminal voltage drops down a little it will disconnect itself from the vehicle battery and so ensure the vehicle battery does not get drained. I had this type of split charger on my previous Transit motorhome and it worked perfectly to charge an auxillary battery. The beauty of this split charger is that you simply wire it across the vehicle battery and no connection to the alternator is required.
          My concern with this type on my Peugeot Partner wired into the cigar lighter is simply that when the ignition is switched off the cigar lighter normally goes dead but with this unit (caddy motion) plugged in it backfeeds until the terminal voltage drops a little.
          Lincol

Comment

I'd email the firm and ask the question.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X