C15 vehicle battery + EHU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 vehicle battery + EHU

My battery was flat the other day - my own fault - vehicle standing for about 10 days + I was doing some touch up of small rusty bits inside doors + left doors open for paint to dry and didn't turn off cab lights + very very cold night.

Unfortunately my partner was away and jump leads/battery charger were nowhere to be found. A friend with a bigger camper van said I should just leave my van on EHU occasionally if not using it as this will top up vehicle battery. Is this right? Obvioulsy vehicle battery charges leisure battery when driving but does it work the other way round - would the vehicle battery charge up eventually from EHU?

I just use to use a battery charger once in a while, connected directly underneath the bonnet. No idea if the EHU will charge the battery directly, but I wouldn't have thought so.

EHU will charge the leisure battery, so the relay wouldn't be using the vehicle battery to top up the leisure battery though... I think...

Cold weather snaps are when you find out your vehicle battery isn't up to much!

I used to start up my roma at least once a week through cold snaps, sometimes I would drive it around for a while, just to get the battery charged up a bit. (note, you need to keep an eye on your petrol level!!)

Someone will be along soon that knows how all these things work in relation to one another! LOL!
    Last edited by jayjay; 24-09-2012, 10:16.

Comment

According to the handbook that came with mine, if you have EHU plugged in and switch the rocker switch to the UP position it will charge the van battery, in the DOWN position it charges the leisure battery and in the OFF position it is isolated from the batteries.

But it doesn't say what the other switch is for - anyone know?

Comment

There you go see - someone with a manual!!

Comment

Other Switch

Originally posted by Caz View Post
          According to the handbook that came with mine, if you have EHU plugged in and switch the rocker switch to the UP position it will charge the van battery, in the DOWN position it charges the leisure battery and in the OFF position it is isolated from the batteries.

The other switch turns the 12volt circuits off ( lights,pump etc ) try it and see
          Alf

Comment

Aha! Thanks Alf. If it ever stops raining I'll go out and try it.

Typical blooming weather when I want to go out and move all my bits out of Sonny the caravan into Johann Sebastian the C15, ready for the weekend - although if this weather carries on I reckon the weekend may have to be cancelled as the site will be flooded.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post

Where's the rocker switch? here's a piccy of my switches - none of these seem to fit your description

Comment

240v Mains Unit

Cedas this photo is of the Mains Consumer unit the switch on the left is the RCD and Main switch the next on the right is for the 13a socket the end one on the right may be for the fridge
                the rocker switch that Caz asked about is on the 12 volt control at the oposite side of your van ??
                Alf

Comment

found an old thread which seems to deal with this issue

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ad.php?p=14724

but still not sure whether mine will charge vehicle battery or not. Am just going out to have anaother look at the little black box - which I gather is the zig unit - but am pretty sure there are no switches on it at all.

There is an x70 isolation switch - which I think you are supposed to turn on if on EHU but I have never bothered with it as it doesn't seem to do anything different whether on or off

Comment

No switches on my black box

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
                      the rocker switch that Caz asked about is on the 12 volt control at the oposite side of your van ??
                      Alf
                      is the 12 volt control the same as the black box (which I think is the "zig unit") If so no switch and cannot see anything else related to 12 volt at all.
                      Have 1 x 13 ampt socket 1 x mains fridge swtich, the x70 isolation switch mentioned before, the consumer unit and the black box - nowt else anywhere visible

Comment

To my knowledge none of the C15s charge their engine battery from the EHU.

You'll need to use a normal 12 volt batery charger and charge it that way.
                        A C15 battery takes about 15 hrs from dead to fully charge.
                        A flat battery will eventually kill the battery.
                        Ant would have been the best person to ask but I expect he'd say the same thing.

Comment

If that is the case why does my hand book say it does?

The control panel that I'm talking about is on the left as you go in, set into the front of the left hand bed locker at the end near to the sink unit. Inside the locker is the leisure battery, the mains consumer unit and a black box with a red switch on it.

On the right bed locker at the cooker end is a big switch marked Fridge which powers the fridge on mains.

Comment

Caz,
                            Does your hand book say the engine battery charges from EHU or just the leasure battery?

There are different electrical systems for the C15 Romahomes and they became a bit more comprehensive on later models.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies - I don't have a handbook (part from what I downloaded from this site) I guess I will have to accept that EHU doesn't charge up my vehicle - not really a major problem.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X