Epoxy or poly fibreglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epoxy or poly fibreglass

Hi, new here as I just got a c15. It is a 1996 Hylo. My querie is do I use epoxy or polyester fibreglass for a floor repair? The plywood reinforcement in the rear well is rotten. I have removed the offending wood/fibreglass down to the base and now need to know what type of fibreglass resin/adhesive to use to bond new plywood to floor and to glass over the top. I have read that you should not use epoxy on polyester and vice versa so what is the original base fibreglass ? Any repair suggestions would be appreciated.
    Briluki
    Last edited by Briluki; 24-12-2012, 14:44. Reason: Forgot to say 1996 Hylo

I had a similar problem with my HyLo which has clearly been leaking for years and rotted the floor.

It wasn't possible to remove the floor because this extends to sit beneath the fridge and cupboard units so I stripped what was left of the top layers of the existing ply, dried it all out (which took months) and then fitted a 1/2" piece of hardwood on top with an upstand all sealed with epoxy and sealed around the edges with sikaflex. There are photos of this in my photo album (see my user profile).

Comment

Epoxy or polyester

Mine has been rotting for many years by the look and smell! I have managed to remove all but the smallest piece of the lower ply that is bonded so well I shall leave it to dry then bond new wood to the floor. My problem is as I will be bonding to the original floor base, I have read on the net that if you put epoxy on poly it can soften the poly and vice versa so I need to know what the original build material was. I have emailed Romahome but so far no answer. As it's Xmas it will be new year before I hear. My leak was the rear door. The bottom didn't close tight enough even when the lower was fastened from inside. I fitted a small cupboard door bolt at the bottom corner that I latch. Might not look great but no more water to cause webbed feet!
      Briluki

Comment

Epoxy or polyester

Latest update for anyone interested. Just had a phone call from Romahome and was told that the original build is polyester resin based fibreglass. Suggested remove all old wet wood, make sure all is dry and clean and bond new wood to floor using something like 'No Nails' adhesive. Then, using polyester resin, fibreglass over wood and seal to floor edges as original if you wish.
        I think I will seal mine to try to stop it happening again even though I have cured the door leak.

Comment

leak

Hi guys sory to interupt, but saw the posts, and i thought that romahomes don't leak at all ???.
          Or is that problem only with the c15 hylo ?.

And the hitop has not got the same problem, see i ask cos we had a caravan that cost us a lot from a dealer granted it was second hand but 18 months later is had damp along 1 side and part of front , cost a lot of £ £ to fix properly.
          And looking into campers thought that the romahome being made the way it is would not have the damp leak lark.

Comment

Most problems with leaking Romahomes tend to be caused by back doors going out of adjustment, any repairs are relatively simple unlike repairing caravans that develop leaks as the construction is completely different.

Peter

Comment

thank you pete, can relax more now

Comment

Hylo leak

Originally posted by Romatour View Post
                Hi guys sory to interupt, but saw the posts, and i thought that romahomes don't leak at all ???.
                Or is that problem only with the c15 hylo ?.

And the hitop has not got the same problem, see i ask cos we had a caravan that cost us a lot from a dealer granted it was second hand but 18 months later is had damp along 1 side and part of front , cost a lot of £ £ to fix properly.
                And looking into campers thought that the romahome being made the way it is would not have the damp leak lark.
                My leak was the bottom r/h corner of lower barn door. The door was slightly warped and did not close tight enough so leaked when rain ran down seal and "overflowed" into rear. As I said, a small cupboard door bolt fitted to corner pulled the door tight enough to seal properly. There was no adjustment possible at the hinges to compensate for the warp but a little pressure on the lower corner when latching the bolt works wonders.
                Last edited by Briluki; 02-01-2013, 16:18. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

I think that it is only the Outlooks and R20s that have problems with the door latch working loose, ours has twice, they are cross head bolts that I will replace with allen head cap screws at some stage. Our door does not leak water but you get a cold draught when sat on the loo.

C15s have a caravan door and you are right there is no adjustment. When we had ours I found it helpful when shutting/locking from outside to sepaate the lower and upper doors, bolt the lower door then lock the upper. It never leaked.

Peter

Comment

Good Info

That is good info guys will keep copy of all this for future ref 4 when we buy 1.

Comment