Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose gas hob cover

Hi all,

On my 2005 Hylo a hinged glass top covers the gas rings when not in use. One of the two hinges has come loose where it is screwed onto the GRP (I assume the surface is GRP – it’s the surface behind the stainless steel top that contains the gas rings). Each hinged base has two small screw holes but on the loose hinge one of the screws is missing and the other screw keeps turning and doesn’t tighten – I guess the thread in the GRP has gone. I think the thread has also gone in the hole of the missing screw and I am wondering how to screw the hinge onto the GRP.

I assume the old screw holes in the GRP will need to be filled so the new screws can cut a thread in the old hole. To do this the “good” firm hinge will need to be unscrewed to enable the glass top and hinges to be removed and I am reluctant to unscrew the good hinge until I’m sure how the fix the hinges back onto the GRP. If I am right and the screws simple screw direct into the GRP do you use normal self-tapping screws? Is there a recommended type of filler to put in the old screw holes which will harden and enable the screws to cut new threads when screwing the hinges back in place? Alternatively, does a special type of raw plug hold the screws in the GRP? The screws and holes are very small so how one gets any filler paste down into the old screw holes may be a problem (I’m thinking of poking it down with part of a matchstick) and any filler will need to bond tight with the surrounding GRP to enable the screws to tighten. Any advice whether I am on the right track most appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Terry.

Hi Terry, welcome to the site. I had a 2004 Duo Hylo which did not have the glass hob cover but the same Smev cooker unit. If memory serves the cooker was held down with ordinary wood screws, the base is a composite of plywood and resin (I think). A matchstick down the hole might be enough. If things get desperate you can lift out the cooker and see what you are doing. Ant may have already had this problem and come along with advice.
    Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Thanks for the reply Derek. I'll have another look at the fitting this weekend and if I can get a bit of matchstick wedged in the screw hole it may be enough for the screw to tighten up.
      Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Hi Terry.
        Derek is right about there being some ply under the GRP surface, I normally cut some wood down to fill the old hole, ( sometimes drill it out a bit to make the hole bigger) then glue the bit of wood in with some resin ( Araldite) once its all set I pilot drill the wood and replace the screw using some Vasoline on the screw to avoid splitting the new hole.
        Ant

Comment

Hi Ant,
          Thanks for the advice – it’s most reassuring and so very helpful to have such expert knowledge available.
          Cheers, Terry.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X