roof bars for a romahome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roof bars for a romahome?

Hi, can anyone help- does anyone know if it is possible to fit roofbars to a Romahome or similar type motorhome?
    We are researching buying a small motorhome at present and like the look of Romahome but it is essential that we can carry kayaks or surfboards on the roof.
    Thanks.

Hi Liz

Welcome to the forum, its great to have you on here.

Regarding roof bars Ecobezhig has done exactly what you want to do see this thread:

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ight=roof+bars

I'm sure he will be along soon to tell you all about it.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Graham,

Indeed I am here. My further thoughts on Romahome rook bars are that it's not a good idea to mount roof bars by drilling holes into the roof and that by using industrial glue on to a keyed surface is the correct thing to do. However, I welded studs onto a stainles plate that had 6 screws holes to srew into the wooden support boards but if someone doesn't weld then just drill a couple holes in a mounting plate and insert screws from underneath with a lock nut on top so the screw wont turn when doing nuts up with a spanner.

my set up cost just a few pounds by buying at a recycling centre in Totnes, devon.

Hope all goes well Liz

Comment

roofrack?

Hi Graeme, sorry for the very late response! Thanks for the picture. I actually spoke to Romahome today and they say that it isn't advisable to retrospectively put roofbars on but that it is possible to have the roof strengthened when it is actually being made ie brand new. It could then safely hold the 50 kilos required. Unfortunately, my budget won't run to a new vehicle so I'm not sure where to go now! So many decisions!

Comment

Hi Liz,

from a makers point of view they will recommend that their advice is follewed and that way nothing can go wrong. On the other hand My Romahome took 20 lenghts of steel at 142kgs and although I only drove 4 miles I'm happy my set up was strong enough.
          read my original thread and that's the way to do it.

Comment

I put 4 heavy plastic kayaks full of wet gear on the roof bars i've bolted onto my C15 HyLo fairly often and drive from london to wales and back with them up there. If anything they've strengthened the roof although I have noticed increased wear to the rubber around the rear.

Comment

Hello there sloeman, any chance you'd be able to shed light on what bars/bolts were used and where you recommend installing the roof rack? On the verge of buying a hylo 2001 Roma but taking my kayak around with me is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by GJNOC View Post
                Hello there sloeman, any chance you'd be able to shed light on what bars/bolts were used and where you recommend installing the roof rack? On the verge of buying a hylo 2001 Roma but taking my kayak around with me is a must.
                This is a thread from 2010, I'm not sure whether Sloeman is still around.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hello GJNOC and welcome to the site

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    Hi Liz

Welcome to the forum, its great to have you on here.

Regarding roof bars Ecobezhig has done exactly what you want to do see this thread:

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ight=roof+bars

I'm sure he will be along soon to tell you all about it.
                    wrong post sorry
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X